Re: [council] IDN Laboratory Testing Progress

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] IDN Laboratory Testing Progress
  • From: Mawaki Chango <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:57:08 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Come on Avri,
then you're being (or would be) impressed by a phantom: there is no such thing
as an IDN TF (in fact it wa ssupposed to be a WG) at the council level; it has
never produced any work, neither has it been asked any contribution to the
slightest IDN issue. The council (gTLD committee or IDN "WG" if you will) was
supposed by the agenda to discuss IDN in amsterdam, and not only be reported to
by ICANN staff, but nobody seemed to have noticed and much less been bothered
by the fact that we didn't. I'm guessing council members who have anything
relevant to say about this could just refer to the various public fora that are
being opened out there, while the ICANN policy body is dead silent on so many
policy issues raised by IDN, except the famous TORs. Even then, these are only
discussed as an appendix to the new gTLD PDP, and are being iterated by the
staff (hey, Olof!) without serious, thorough discussion of IDN issues in their
own right by any GNSO Council group.

Oh, in case anyone is wondering, I have no personal agenda, hidden or open, on
IDN; I just take it as a test for our workings and working methods when it
comes to openness, transparency and diversity -- and just watching.
Keep all well,

Mawaki