RE: [council] RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] FW: PDP Feb 06: Draft Agenda 10 August

  • To: "'Bret Fausett'" <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'John Jeffrey'" <john.jeffrey@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Cubberley, Maureen \(\(CHT\)\)'" <MCubberley@xxxxxxxxx>, <pdp-pcceg-feb06@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Council GNSO'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] FW: PDP Feb 06: Draft Agenda 10 August
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:11:55 -0400
  • Cc: "'Denise Michel'" <denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

John, and TF members
To clarify a few points, first, consensus is not unanimity.  Secondly, I see
no reason that this TF cannot fulfill its work within the timelines of '06.
additional resources may be needed to do that, and I would assume that ICANN
would want to, and would support the needed resources to policy development.
Just to be sure I understood the financial challenges, I reviewed the
Operational Plan and the budget last night. I'm pretty confident that the
resources can be found in the budget to support the Policy Development
Process.

When I accepted this TF assignment, I certainly budgeted time on my calendar
for the time needed -- I presently spend 1 1/2 hours every two weeks on
WHOIS on TF calls; I spend additional time outside of that TF on that topic.
I spend the needed time to review materials and participate in the '05 TF. I
budgeted the time to do that. I assume that we should spend at least 2 hours
on a call, twice a month, on this TF, with outside time to support that.

When I co-chaired the WHOIS TF, and chaired the Transfers TF, we met twice a
week, for 2 hours each meeting to accomplish our work.... that was what was
needed, the stakeholders stepped up to the challenge. I am confident that
the stakeholders can do the same on this TF.

I am not prejudging the outcomes. It is possible that there would be only
one policy recommendation, or 4, or 6 -- don't overreact to that forecast,
it is merely an illustration. BUT, the point is that we have a PDP, and we
authorized it, and it is legitimate, and we should fulfill it.

Again, I have read all the materials, and the statements made in various for
a, and I see fulsome support from ICANN to the bottom up participation model
that ICANN was founded on. I don't see a problem  here, other than
identifying needed resources, getting the funding allocated, and doing the
work.

Consensus is not unanimity. But it is consensus.

Marilyn