[council] Reason for vote on Motion One on the WHOIS service on 060720

  • To: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Reason for vote on Motion One on the WHOIS service on 060720
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 09:26:23 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

Having just voted affirmatively for a motion I spoke against, I figured I should put a brief explanation into the record.

As I stated during the call and in previous emails I think:

- council members should always be free to explain their votes if they so desire and that it should not take a special motion to enable this activity.

- task force members are always free to, and in fact responsible for, paying attention to input from the community and from other stakeholders

- it seems like it should be standard policy for the council to consult with the advisory committees before making a final decision on the final report from a task force. In fact I thought this was one of the reasons for liaison relationships. (BTW, I have wondered whether we should we have reciprocal liaisons on the advisory committees?)

- the council should always consider a report carefully and reconsider any of its previous decisions in the light of new analyses or new facts.

For the reasons above, I thought that most of the motion was at best superfluous.

I did think that it would be useful for the staff to produce a summary of the input and was unwilling to vote against a motion that was explicit in its support of council openness.

I, therefore, voted affirmatively.

a.