RE: [council] Version 2: Proposed motion regarding Personal Data that is collected and retained by registrars

  • To: <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Version 2: Proposed motion regarding Personal Data that is collected and retained by registrars
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 22:15:50 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'll attempt to address one point that I see on the use of proxy votes. I
have earlier stated my support for allowing 'written votes' or votes with
explanation, in writing, which I suppose is a substitute for a proxy
vote....

I supported proxy voting when it existed, but I do want to be sure that
proxy voting takes place only with written instruction, and with assurance
that the voting councilor has engaged in the relevant discussion, studied
the issue(s)  and is voting an 'informed vote'. They should be the judge of
that, by the way. :-) But, we should ask ourselves: if a councilor misses
more than ( X) votes and doesn't provide a really good explanation for why
they repeatedly miss Council meetings/votes, perhaps their constituency
should address this. Council may need to have standards for constituencies.
It is fully possible to participate remotely in all issues and I don't
consider in person attendance a measure of involvement. BUT, if a councilor
doesn't study the issues, examine them, engage within their constituency,
etc. and doesn't participate in the Council, or its votes, then that would
be a problem.

By the way, I see no such problems in the Council today.

The point of voting is that one should be fully engaged in an issue,
debating it, understanding it, and not merely voting, but taking full
responsibility for understanding an issue with its pros and cons.

It should be possible to allow proxy voting, but probably needs to be pre
scheduled, since it is entirely possible Council will modify a resolution
after final debate/discussion. Thus, the party voting remotely/by proxy,
will need to have time to review the transcript, consult, and then confirm
or cast their vote.

If a resolution is not materially modified during debate, then perhaps a
proxy vote works.

Voting should be considered. When do we need voting? When can we operate by
consensus. For example the ITU, which is not a model to be ignored, or the
IETF... another model of useful consideration....

In the ITU SGS, in most SGs we avoid voting. We operate on the 'sense of the
room' and in some cases, take a 'raise your flag' straw poll.  The point is
'is there strong support, is the room split, is the room largely in support,
is there unanimity? \\Consensus is not necessarily unaniminty.  Consensus,
according to the new American Dictionary is 'general consent' or agreement.

I am not suggesting we give up voting, but that, as we improve Council's
operational practices - that we consider what the right approaches are to
advance our ability to work collegially.

HOW3VER, WRITTEN IN CAPS, SO IT IS CLEAR THAT THIS IS CRITICAL: LET'S NOT
GET SIDETRACKED FROM A DECISION BEFORE US BY HOW WE IN THE FUTURE ADDRESS
PROXY VOTING.

ISN'T THAT WHY WE NEED TO HAVE A WORK PROBRAM ON THE IMPROVEMENTS TO THEY
COUNCIL, PER THE REVIEW PROJECT? TO TAKE ON IND. PIECES OF THE IMPROVEMENT
PLAN SOUND SILLY AND INEFFICIENT, AND A SERIES OF DISTRACTIONS. BUT IF WE
HAVE A GAME PLAN TO ADDRESS, WE CAN PUT PROXY VOTING AT THE TOP, IF
COUNCILORS AGREE.

Marilyn