RE: [council] Proposed simplified WHOIS motion for 20 July 2006

  • To: "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Council GNSO'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Proposed simplified WHOIS motion for 20 July 2006
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:26:56 -0400
  • Cc: "'Denise Michel'" <denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bruce,

Thanks for another round at simplifying the motion. However, this version
loses the important commitment to engage in dialogue with the GAC and SSAC.
I prefer to have the motion include the reference to the work of the GAC and
the Council on examining and discussing the purpose and uses of WHOIS.  So,
I'd prefer to see that segment put back into the motion.

The motion below asks some of the Councilors to state what they think the
formulation 1 means and why they supported it. I am not inclined to oppose
that segment of the motion, but ask, for clarification:  What do we intend,
as Council, to do with this new information from Councilors? How will it be
used? Is it additional information to inform Council's discussions, or is it
to assist the TF in improving clarity of where the Councilors views are?

On a broader note, the interpretation of Formulation 1 that you presented to
the joint GAC/Council meeting on Monday that I saw in the PowerPoint later,
appears to address some of the concerns of the BC, if indeed, Formulation 1
is inclusive of the needs that we see for public access to the data to
support the concerns and needs of ISPs, business users, trademark interests,
consumer protection and law enforcement.

Since it was presented to the GAC, and is a part of the documentation of
that joint meeting, I'd like to clarify, within Council, what its status, if
any, is. And to establish if we have broad Council acceptance of that
interpretation. I think that is important to assist both Council and the TF.

To recap:

On the revised motion, I prefer to see the reference to the joint
GAC/Council work included.

On the discussion of the interpretation of Formulation 1, I am not convinced
that the Council has discussed and accepted the broader definition. I think
we need to know where we are.