Re: [council] Re: Regarding issues report on IDNs

  • To: John C Klensin <klensin@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Re: Regarding issues report on IDNs
  • From: Sophia B <sophiabekele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 09:11:49 -0800
  • Cc: Cary Karp <ck@nic.museum>, council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Tina Dam <dam@xxxxxxxxx>, Patrik Fältström <paf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Greetings John,

You have just revealed the extent of the complexity below, and perhaps set
the stage for the discussions, I believe.  Thank you for your time.

I like your ...analogy that  IDNs will not solve... or cure cancer.  That
was humerus.  In any case, I read your analysis with interest and believe
ICANN/GNSO would benefit and draw a lesson from many of the points you made;
I certainly did, specifically from these main comments below:  I am
continuing my dialog with you as appropriate ...

   - I also believe that effort should have f*ocused on the establishment
   of "best practices" models, not mandates and requirements*, from the
   very beginning (and independent of where and how those models are approved
   and published) and that ICANN's PDP process is inappropriate for trying to
   draw that work together. ( I see that...)
   - The ICANN PDP approach, with its model of one SO developing a
   proposal and then throwing it over the wall for review by others is, in my
   opinion, very poorly suited for developing good policies, or even good
   recommendations, in an environment that is this complex. We also *run
   the risk that poor policies or poor guidelines could effectively make IDNs
   almost useless* --or too dangerous to use-- in actual practice.  (this
   is where we have to evaluate the best approach, and it seems that we are
   perhaps applying a single standard for all... we have to think more in
   dept..uhmm)
   - We know from the original IDN testbed activities that it is easier
   to say "testbed" than it is to say *" wait until we figure this
out".*Whether that is the right answer or not typically depends on
what a testbed
   is intended to accomplish. If the idea is to give some registrants,
   registrars, or registries an advantage or if the testbed is designed in a
   way that has that effect even if it was not intended, then testbeds are
   generally a poor idea (as I think we learned from the original IDN testbed
   some years ago). They are, ultimately, nothing more than an attempt to turn
   such principles as *"make sure it is really a test, not a head-start
   or commitment to a particular strategy" and "be sure that you understand
   what you are trying to learn and how you intended to learn it "* into
   an outline of a testing procedure. ( my point, exactly John, I could
   not agree with you more on this.  This was why I raised my question during
   the meeting, although I could not articulate it as well as you. The testbeds
   seem like bet and keep strategy..in light of this and in restating what I
   asked, ..please see below) ........
   - I believe that, if we are going to do tests, we need to use them to
   examine each of the alternatives and its implications so that we can advise
   relevant parties as to what to do or not do and can advise ICANN on
   priorities and actions (is there a big challenge to another 'go-ahead'
   strategy other than testbeds?,otherwise, I agree with your point.)

If we play devil's advocate, and say there is no real technical issue with
the 'testbeds'that prevents us from going directly to the policy issue,
then, some questions that I think I want to ask, which seem to be *brought
to my attention as a concern * would be the following:

   1. Why should we do the testbed? What are the EXACT technical
   objectives of the testbed? What do you expect to achieve from the technical
   aspect? Do we have a detailed proposal and framework to work from, like  in
   any other experiment?
   2. What  do we think is going to work? Where do  we expect is it going
   to fail (from a technical point of view – like overload, resolution, etc."
   –  If we don't think anything is going to fail then its really and
   implementation and not a testbed issue?
   3. Moreover –from the DNAME perspective, there seem to be an issue
   with going for the DNAME solution, which is not recommended (not a real
   Internationalized domain name, but kind of another name to an English name.
   You can't do email on a DNAME).  In the IDN workshop at Vancouver Vint Serf
   said explicitly that DNAME is a bad solution. so "Why do they want to go
   that way?
   4. Finally, *if there is a decision to really go for a testbed before
   resolving the policy issues,* are we considering the following few
   principals?
    - The testbed must be done for a virtual TLD –- like ".xyz" - a TLD
      with no meaning in the language it is done – so it should be something
      equivalent to ".xyz" in Chinese. This will prevent from this testbed to
      become an implementation.
      - ICANN should decide on a technical group, with different
      representatives (like the PAC) to run the tesbed, and do in the
facilities
      of an objective party – like a university, etc. in any case it
must not be
      done by an existing gTLD registry.
      - BEFORE deciding and running a testbed – ICANN must have an
      open discussion about conducting it (like in the next ICANN meeting).

I hope I am going towards the right direction in my understanding of
matters.  Your guidance is always appreciated.

Kind regards,

Sophie

http://www.example.com/search?q=abc+def&ie=utf-8&rls=def.ghi:en-US:official

--