Re: [council] Registry services - consensus policy- dot net

  • To: "GNSO Council" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Registry services - consensus policy- dot net
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:48:38 +0000 GMT
  • Cc: "John Jeffrey" <jeffrey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear colleagues:

After considerable deliberation, reading the bylaws, and reading the
desccription of our responsibility, I have concluded that I believe it is our
reaponsibility to enact consensus policy in new registry services.

therefore, tomorrow, I will make a motion that Council vote to approve the
Council drafted version of new registry services.

I welcome any questions on why I think that is both our responsibility to the
community at large, the right thing for ICANN, and the best safequard for
registries themselves.

I will clarify the last point. When we established ICANN, we in the community
took seriously the risk of gov't regulation in the gTLD space and.
And we sought mechanisms to protect the registries from a patchwork of
different national laws. As someone VERY familiar with that as a rep of a
multi-national Tier I backbone/business ISP in multiple countries, along with
others involved in newco, we wanted a framework of ind. Self governance, by
contract and agreement of the Community.

Consensus policy is a safeguard to the registries.

As it is to the users, the registrars, and to the Internet as a whole.

Marilyn
Regards,
Marilyn Cade