Re: [council] FW: the topic of new gTLDs and the role of gNSO Council

My understanding is that the GNSO and the Board previously answered the question of whether we should have new gTLDs ("yes") and how they should be introduced ("in a measured and responsible manner"). So I would agree that insofar as those questions are concerned, we do no need to revisit the past. There are a number of areas, however, in which the GNSO could provide useful policy work. For instance, what escrow and data retention policy should new registries have to meet so that the damage to registrants of a registry failure can be minimized? But is that policy or implementation? I don't know that it matters much if we *want* to take it on. Perhaps we can use time on Thursday's call to list some of these things we'd like to see addressed.

      Bret