RE: [council] Fourth draft of WHOIS task force terms of reference

  • To: "Maria Farrell" <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>, <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Fourth draft of WHOIS task force terms of reference
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 06:03:06 +1000
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Maria,

> I have two editing suggestions regarding the terms of
> reference.  One is to tighten or footnote the language about
> the Internet's unique identifiers in the first paragraph so
> that it can't be interpreted as including other unique
> identifiers such as IP numbers.  I know the text in this
> draft is there to avoid opening up other debates, so I will
> try to find some existing language that describes ICANN's
> role.  Failing that, I'll suggest a footnote to narrow the
> scope of the term.

The statement of mission at the beginning of the terms of reference is
simply a factual statement of ICANN's mission from the bylaws.   The
remaining text of the terms of reference define the tasks of the task
force.
I will review the remaining text to make clear that this task force is
looking at gTLD domain name WHOIS, rather than the use of the WHOIS
service/protocol with respect to other identifiers.

Regards,
Bruce