Re: [council] Draft WHOIS terms of reference

  • To: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [council] Draft WHOIS terms of reference
  • From: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 18:58:49 -0700
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It is a stretch to say that this paragraph provides a definition of the whois purpose. No where does it indicate that this is the purpose of whois.

The current draft purpose in the whois ToR is just too broad and exceeds the scope of its original mission - which is *technical* in nature. Nor does this draft give adequate attention to the privacy and other civil liberty concerns that must be reconciled with the whois policy.

NCUC has prepared some edits to the current draft that could fix these deficiencies for discussion at the tele-meeting on the 12th that should be forwarded very soon to this list.

I hope we can consider improvements to the current ToR draft in the interests of protecting civil liberties and keeping with whois' original mission.

All best,
Robin Gross
NCUC

Bruce Tonkin wrote:

Hello Robin,

Where can I find this purpose defined as such in the RAA?

It is extracted from clause 3.7.7.3 of the Registrars Accreditation
Agreement (RAA) available at:
http://www.icann.org/registrars/ra-agreement-17may01.htm
Regards,
Bruce Tonkin

--
Robin D. Gross, Attorney @ Law
1192 Haight Street, San Francisco, California  94117