Re: [council] GNSO Rule on Open Meetings

Thanks, Philip. I believe the rules refer to "meetings" generally, without parsing them into "formal" and "informal" meetings. If the Council has informal meetings and a different rule on attendance than what is in the bylaws, I'm not aware of it.

        Bret

philip.sheppard@xxxxxx wrote:

I believe that both these references refer to formal meetings of Council
at which an act of Council may occur
Philip
Thank you for discussing this today. For future reference, the GNSO
Rules of Procedure provide that all meetings are presumptively open,
unless a majority of the Council votes to close it.

The relevant section provides:

"Except where determined by a majority vote of members of the GNSO
Council present that a closed session is appropriate, meetings shall be
open to physical or electronic attendance by all interested persons."

http://gnso.icann.org/council/new-procedures.shtml#5

The ICANN Bylaws include an identical provision:

"Except where determined by a majority vote of members of the GNSO
Council present that a closed session is appropriate, meetings shall be
open to physical or electronic attendance by all interested persons."

http://www.icann.org/general/archive-bylaws/bylaws-15dec02.htm#X-3.8

        -- Bret