RE: [council] Draft Agenda for Council meeting Thursday 13 January 2005

  • To: <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Ken Stubbs'" <kstubbs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Draft Agenda for Council meeting Thursday 13 January 2005
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:09:54 -0500
  • Cc: "'Philip Sheppard'" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear all,

Please note that Philip Sheppard was submitting this request for an Issues
Report, which is the first step to examining an issue, on behalf of the BC.

Council's task, once an Issues Report is received, is to then determine
whether a PDP is indicated.

It is important to remember that even when sometimes one might like to think
that an issue is only between registrars and registries, in fact, it is
users -- of all varieties -- who are affected. As of course, we all know
about transfers and deletes. Registrars and registries do not exist in and
unto themselves, but because there are users who rely upon their services to
register domain names, etc. etc.

Thus, it is always important to include the user perspective -- and the BC
agrees that User is a broad term that encompasses users of all varieties --
from individuals, to NGOs, to companies, to even governments when they are
"users".