[council] Initiating a PDP

  • To: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Initiating a PDP
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:43:06 +1100
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Thomas,

There are three methods by which a PDP can be initiated:
From: http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm#AnnexA

a. Board Initiation. The Board may initiate the PDP by instructing the
GNSO Council ("Council") to begin the process outlined in this Annex.

b. Council Initiation. The GNSO Council may initiate the PDP by a vote
of at least twenty-five percent (25%) of the members of the Council
present at any meeting in which a motion to initiate the PDP is made.

c. Advisory Committee Initiation. An Advisory Committee may raise an
issue for policy development by action of such committee to commence the
PDP, and transmission of that request to the GNSO Council.

With respect to Council initiation, it is usually a constituency within
the GNSO that requests its representative/s to propose a motion to
initiate a PDP.

The Council does not need to respond as a whole to an individual from
the ICANN community that requests a PDP.

I recommend that individual Council members that have been contacted by
members of the community with an issue, first discuss the issue within
their constituencies to see if there is support for the GNSO to initiate
a PDP in this area.   If there is support, a Council member should
propose a motion (giving at least 7 days notice prior to a Council
meeting for all members to consider the motion) to initiate a PDP in
this area.  The first step after initiation of the PDP will be to
request an issues report from the ICANN Staff Manager.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin