[council] RE: GNSO Council follow up on ICANN staff recommendation to the ICANN Board in response to the WIPO-II recommendations
- To: "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [council] RE: GNSO Council follow up on ICANN staff recommendation to the ICANN Board in response to the WIPO-II recommendations
- From: "Paul Verhoef" <paul.verhoef@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:33:27 +0200
- Cc: "'Kurt Pritz \(E-mail\)'" <pritz@xxxxxxxxx>, "'John Jeffrey \(E-mail\)'" <jeffrey@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Paul Twomey-ICANN \(E-mail\)'" <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- In-reply-to: <57AD40AED823A7439D25CD09604BFB546A58B7@balius.mit>
- Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Thread-index: AcS8kTgi1JD1Q+35R8CRcTEgJyBffQAaVngg
Bruce, we have had a discussion with WIPO and they have promised us a detailed
commentary on the
results of the WG. We have not yet received that. Once it is in, and in
accordance with the
provisions you mentioned (see below), we will provide a recommendation to the
Board. We have
contacted WIPO with a request to speed up in view of the remaining time.
I trust this is useful to you
From: Bruce Tonkin [mailto:Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 28 October 2004 03:56
Cc: Kurt Pritz (E-mail); John Jeffrey (E-mail); Paul Twomey-ICANN (E-mail);
Subject: GNSO Council follow up on ICANN staff recommendation to the ICANN
Board in response to the
At the last Council teleconference, a question was raised regarding the
follow-up to the last Board
resolution on WIPO from the KL meeting. The GNSO Council wishes to know what
ICANN staff will be making to the Board for the meeting in Cape Town.
"WIPO II President's Working Group Recommendation .....
Resolved [04.61], that the President and staff should proceed to investigate
and analyze the Working
Group's Report and the General Counsel's advice on the legal aspects of the
ICANN's mission and the 21 February 2003 WIPO letter.
Resolved [04.62], that following the investigation and analysis, President and
Staff should produce
a recommendation to the Board before the Cape Town Meeting, so that the Board
may make its decision
on the WIPO II recommendations during that meeting."
Note the last GNSO Council resolution on this topic was from its teleconfernece
on 17 April 2003:
"To consider the WIPO recommendations separately from the review of the
existing Universal Dispute
Resolution Policy (UDRP) which is aimed at trademarks.
That the WIPO recommendations associated with Names and Acronymns of
Organisations and Country Names should be subject to a policy development
process to look at how
they can be implemented taking into account a thorough examination of the
issues surrounding the
Chair, GNSO Council