[council] NCUC statement on Approval Process for Registry Services

  • To: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] NCUC statement on Approval Process for Registry Services
  • From: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:26:05 +0100
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Marc,
while I think there is much to commend in the NCUC statement on the registry
services I feel impelled to make one remark to this part of your statement:

" we note that ICANN invested most of its effort in protecting trademarks ...
interests, and has shown very little interest in protecting consumers and
users".

ICANN's UDRP is all about protecting consumers and users. The typical
motivation for a brand owner to seek ownership of a domain name is to prevent
the bad faith use of the domain name. Bad faith use includes consumer fraud and
deception. There maybe individual cases where other motivations are apparent
but please do note that the fundamental reason for trademarks at all is as a
guarantee of origin - and that is a consumer as well as a brand-owner benefit.

Philip