[council] Request from the At Large Advisory Committee with respect to WHOIS policy development

  • To: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Request from the At Large Advisory Committee with respect to WHOIS policy development
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:04:38 +1100
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: Vittorio Bertola [mailto:vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, 27 October 2003 7:06 PM
To: Bruce Tonkin

Dear Bruce,

the At-Large Advisory Committee has been closely watching recent
discussions on the GNSO Council and the GNSO's WHOIS Steering Committee.
We believe that a review of the data elements collected and displayed
(as outlined in the WHOIS Steering Committee's draft terms of reference
for "Task Force 2") should be a priority for the GNSO's policy making,
and we formally request that the GNSO perform such a review at the
earliest opportunity.  The ALAC stands ready to participate and assist
with this effort.

Establishing effective protections for registrants' privacy becomes
crucial as some constituencies are suggesting even stricter assurances
for the accuracy of WHOIS data, thereby further reducing the practical
privacy loopholes that might still be available to registrants.

Kind regards,

Vittorio Bertola
(Chair, ALAC.)