[council] Conduct on council list

  • To: <council@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Conduct on council list
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:22:05 +1000
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello All,

Just a reminder that the GNSO Council list is a public list, and should
not be used for personal comments about members of the panel.

Everyone is entitled to state their opinion on any matter on the list,
but we should all respect that we may have different opinions and try to
learn from those opinions.  Attacking the credibility of a council
member because you disagree with their opinion is not useful.  Providing
a persuasive argument as to why they are wrong is useful.  Council
members are entitled to form their own opinion based on the arguments
presented for and against a particular issue.

I hope that when we have motions before the council that we avoid
sticking to a pre-formed position on a subject, and be prepared to
adjust our view according to the arguments presented.  I have noted in
recent debates that often a motion is substantially changed in response
to a request from a council member, and then that member abstains or
votes against the motion.

A diversity of opinion is often good for gaining a better understanding
of any issue and deriving a better policy outcome than if we all agree
on everything.  One of the reasons for having multiple constituencies
and multiple representatives per constituency is to take advantage of
this diversity.

Regards,
Bruce