RE: [council] FW: Statement of New Registry Services PDP

  • To: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] FW: Statement of New Registry Services PDP
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:53:17 +1000
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Jeff,

> I think the statement is pretty clear.  Even discussions
> regarding a policy development process (from those in the
> community that could be compeititors (i.e., registrars, ISPs,
> other businesses, etc.)) on new registry services has
> implications on competition from a legal standpoint.

Just a reminder that the GNSO Council successfully completed a policy
development process for transfers which is at its core a competition
issue between registrars.  The inclusion of members of council that are
not registrars, along with extensive public comment processes, ensured
that this process was handled without bias.

> It is for this reason that we are requesting a formal legal
> opinion from ICANN's general counsel on this issue and are
> also obtaining our own legal advice from our own counsels.

That is the purpose of the issues report - it is a formal opinion from
the ICANN staff and General counsel.  The correct process is to raise
issues that we would like addressed within the issues report.

Regards,
Bruce