RE: [council] ALAC statement on resolution of non-existing domain names

  • To: "'Thomas Roessler'" <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, council@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [council] ALAC statement on resolution of non-existing domain names
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:05:27 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thomas, I believe you have characterizations in this note without any
back-up.  To state there are "grave technical concerns" is probably one of
the greatest overstatements that I have heard in a long time.  Before coming
to any conclusions in your study, I would first submit a list of questions
to VeriSign to answer and then gather input from the community (if you so
desire).

For example, it is my understanding that VeriSign has devised a method, as
we have as well (in our test several months ago), of only redirecting
websites and not MX records.  Therefore, e-mail is unaffected.

Also, when stating that "users are deprived the opportunity of
choosing....".  Please provide examples of this?  What users do you know
that "choose" how they get an error message back.  For example, do those who
use MSN browser "choose" to get an MSN search redirect rather than an error
message?  And what is to stop other browsers from doing the same thing.  In
addition, please provide concrete examples as to how software makers are
being deprived.  Thomas, I am a little disappointed in your analysis as it
provides broad generalizations and no proof.  Lets get past emotion and get
the true real concrete facts out on the table.  Yes, there are applications
out there that depend on the error message.  However, these applications can
easily be updated to accomplish the same functionality.  In fact, I noticed
a patch on the OpenSRS list that someone devised (in less than 24 hours)
which updates many DNS programs.

Rather than giving the "technical purist" argument (i.e., the Internet is a
sacred animal and anything that alters some of the functionally of the past
is "grave"), please provide us with concrete examples, which you have
tested, in which the technical parameters of the internet are violated and
explain in detail exactly how the every day common user of the Internet is
affected.

There are two sides to every coin.  Are you also examining the benefit to
the common Internet user that may be looking for a place to go on the
Internet and cannot find his or her way?  What about the benefits of a
search engine to make the Web more easily navigable?  Or has the ALAC
already reached the same conclusion you have (in less than 24 hours).

The VeriSign service has been alive and well for 24 hours?  Did the Internet
break?  One last note.....to show that the MX records are still returning
errors, I have attached an error e-mail message which took less than 4.5
seconds to get returned to my inbox (yes, I did time it).  I would say the
Internet as we know it is alive and well.

Thomas, I would urge that if you truly intend to study this, that you create
a MUCH more objective Issue Statement.  I am not saying you shouldn't
continue to study, but I, like the rest of this council, should start with
an open mind.

Thanks.

Jeff