Non-PDP Policy and Implementation Working Group
The Working Group is tasked to provide the GNSO Council with a set of recommendations on:
- A set of principles that would underpin any GNSO policy and implementation related discussions, taking into account existing GNSO Operating Procedures.
- A process for developing gTLD policy, perhaps in the form of "Policy Guidance", including criteria for when it would be appropriate to use such a process (for developing policy other than "Consensus Policy") instead of a GNSO Policy Development Process;
- A framework for implementation related discussions associated with GNSO Policy Recommendations;
- Criteria to be used to determine when an action should be addressed by a policy process and when it should be considered implementation, and;
- Further guidance on how GNSO Implementation Review Teams, as defined in the PDP Manual, are expected to function and operate.
Responsible Staff Member:
- Marika Konings
Staff Discussion Paper
- Submitted: 8 January 2013: http://gnso.icann.org/en/correspondence/policy-implementation-framework-08jan13-en.pdf
- Public Comments received on Staff Discussion Paper: http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-policy-implementation-31jan13/
- Presentation and community discussion at the ICANN meeting in Beijing, 10 April 2013: http://beijing46.icann.org/node/37133
GNSO Council Decision to Form a DT to Develop a Charter
- GNSO Wrap-Up Session during ICANN's Beijing Meeting, 11 April 2011 (p49-50): http://beijing46.icann.org/meetings/beijing2013/transcript-gnso-wrap-up-11apr13-en.pdf
Working Group Charter:
Adopted on: 17 July 2013
GNSO Resolution on the adoption of the Charter and initiation of the non-PDP Working Group:
Adopted on: 17 July 2013
Summary: The GSNO Council approves the charter and appoints Jeff Neuman as the GNSO Council Liaison to the Policy & Implementation Working Group.
See Item 5 here: http://gnso.icann.org/en/meetings/minutes-council-17jul13-en.htm
Working Group Initial Report:
Submitted on: 19 January 2015
Working Group Final Report:
Submitted on: 2 June 2015
GNSO Adoption of the Final Report:
- Adopted on: 24 June 2015
- Summary: Resolved, the GNSO Council adopts the GNSO Input Process as outlined in Annex C of the Final Recommendations Report and instructs ICANN staff to post the new version of the GNSO Operating Procedures, effective immediately upon adoption.
- The GNSO Council recommends that the ICANN Board of Directors adopt the new GNSO Processes as reflected in the Annexes D and E for the GNSO Guidance Process and Annexes F and G for the GNSO Expedited Policy Development Process as outlined in the Policy & Implementation Final Recommendations Report (see http://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/policy-implementation-recommendations-01jun15-en.pdf). (……)
- See http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#20150624-2 for further details.
Public Comment Prior to ICANN Board Consideration:
- Public Comment: https://www.icann.org/public-comments/bylaws-amendments-2015-07-31-en
- Report of Public Comments
ICANN Board Resolution Text:
Adopted on: 28 September 2015
Summary: Resolved (2015.09.28.16), the Board approves the amendments to the ICANN Bylaws Article X, section 3-9 as posted for public comment addressing the new GNSO voting thresholds resulting from the GNSO Guidance Process (GGP) and GNSO Expedited Policy Development Process (EPDP).
Resolved (2105.09.28.17), the Board approves the amendments to ICANN Bylaws Annex A as posted for public comment (see https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/bylaws-proposed-amendments-gnso-policy-implementation-31jul15-en.pdf [PDF, 656 KB]), creating a new Annex A-1 that outlines the GNSO EPDP.
Resolved (2015.09.28.18), the Board approves the amendments to ICANN Bylaws Annex A as posted for public comment (see https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/bylaws-proposed-amendments-gnso-policy-implementation-31jul15-en.pdf [PDF, 656 KB]), creating a new Annex A-2 that outlines the GNSO GGP. (See https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-2015-09-28-en#2.f for further details)