## WHOIS WG Meeting TRANSCRIPTION Monday 10 September 2012 at 1900 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of WHOIS WG on the Monday 1à September 2012 at 1900 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Attendees
Don Blumenthal - RySG
Anne Naffziger – IPC
Avri Doria – NCSG
Wilson Abigaba – .ug ccTLD registrar
Susan Prosser - RrSG

ICANN Staff Berry Cobb Barbara Roseman Nathalie Peregrine

Apology: Cintra Sooknanan - ALAC

Coordinator: I'd like to remind all participants this conference is being recorded. If you

have any objection you may disconnect at this time.

You may begin.

Nathalie Peregrine: Thank you very much (Kelly). Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. This is the Whois Working Group Call on the 10th of September, 2012.

On the call today we have Wilson Abigaba, Avri Doria, Ann Naffziger and Don Blumenthal. Susan Prosser has some problem; she will arrive within the next

Page 2

ten minutes. We have an apology from Cintra Sooknanan and from staff we have (Barbara Rosen), Berry Cobb and myself Nathalie Peregrine.

I'd like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and over to you.

Berry Cobb:

Great, thank you Nathalie. For the moment I'm going to step in for (Michael). I'm not sure if he's going to be able to make the call or not. But at any rate I've got to drop off the call a little bit early, like 12:30 to make a 1 o'clock session. So hopefully that won't be too bad for everybody.

But anyway in terms of today's agenda, basically to finalize the final version of our draft survey, call it no longer a draft and get it launched and made available out to the community over the next day or two. So really I was just hoping that we'd have a quick discussion if everybody is comfortable with how the survey looks.

Susan did send in some feedback and they were mostly typos. And basically clean up some of the consistency with some of the terms that we use such as capitalizing registry and registrar, the use of Whois, capitalize versus just the capital W.

So I'll go and make those edits this evening and also send out to the list kind of like a final call so that I can go ahead and move forward and implement the communication's plan to get this communicated out to the community, to update some of the Web sites, icann.org and gnso.icann.org, et cetera.

So with that in mind I'm going to go ahead and open up the floor if anybody's got any additional comments that they'd like to state. And then I'm just going to mention a couple of other things about the survey that I want to get cleaned up before we go live as well.

All right...

Don Blumenthal: Hi, it's Don. I'm still going through the survey and that's actually what's kind of shaky for some personal things that were going on. So I'll keep at it. So far mainly I've just noticed again some typos being posted.

Berry Cobb:

All right, cool. Well most certainly if you can send those out to the list tonight or by tomorrow morning, then I can get those published.

And there was one of the things that I want to follow up with Wilson about on the survey and that's at the top of each section which is just the quick description of the requirement from the report. And I'm wondering if there's an issue with the formatting because it's all center justified right now and I prefer it to be left-hand justified.

But I've gone into the tool and when we look at that particular section it shows that it's left-hand adjusted, but for whatever reason it's still showing up centered.

Wilson, do you have any idea about that?

Wilson Abigaba:

I haven't looked at that particular issue, but I would switch it out and I'm showing no. So it must be I missed it from (unintelligible).

Berry Cobb:

Okay yes that'd be good if you could take a look at that. And there's one other thing that I need you to help me on. This is for Section 6, submitting Whois queries for domain name. When I was first playing around in the (unintelligible) survey tool I actually had deleted that exception by accident and so I had to recreate it manually.

The second question in that section to rate 1-6 below on the importance of the specific data elements to be searchable and basically we select which one should go into - or which one is the most important. Can you go back and take a look at some of the logic that was loaded into that question? Because I don't think that I recreated it correctly.

Wilson Abigaba: Okay I see the backup plan, ISAC server. So I'll post it, that section along

with the backup we have and then we'll see (unintelligible).

Berry Cobb: Cool. I think I got most of it there. It's just a couple of - I think one of the logic

elements was if you answered yes in the previous question, then it would

appear. Now I also see it, another little typo.

But those are basically the two biggest elements that I needed assistance with and hopefully we can get the description cleaned up and left justified. If not I don't think it's a showstopper, but it just makes it look cleaner.

Okay do you have any...?

Wilson Abigaba: Okay Berry?

Berry Cobb: Yes Wilson?

Wilson Abigaba: Yes this section will it be available on Skype after the call and then (look at

them quickly)?

Berry Cobb: Yes I'll be disconnected for about 30 minutes to an hour, but then I'll be

reconnected once I get to my new meeting site. And I'll be on throughout the

day, so if you need anything we can chat through this site.

Wilson Abigaba: Okay I probably will wait tomorrow because it's 11:00 pm right where I am.

So I won't be able to stay up long.

Berry Cobb: Okay yes then that's fine. Then you'll see me online, so it'll just be whenever

you need me.

Wilson Abigaba: Okay cool. Thanks.

Berry Cobb: And it seems Susan is now in the Adobe Connect room, maybe also joined

the meeting? Okay she'll be on in a minute.

Avri, I'm going to put you on the spot for a little bit. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions on going live with the survey? Do you think we're just about

ready? Any insight you might have? You've done these before.

Avri Doria: Hi, this is Avri. I'm only partly going through it, but you know, I guess I

personally believe it's ready to go live. I mean I'll go through and see if

anything else jumps out at me, but you know, at this point I think we can keep

perfecting, you know, asymptotically forever.

Berry Cobb: All right, great. Thank you. Well like I said there's going to be a couple more

edits to be going on between Wilson and myself. We'll implement the

requested changes that Susan provided to the list.

For those that are on the phone, if you can go ahead and try to run through the rest of the surveys and any other edits that you might find to the list and we'll make those changes into the tool. And then in the meantime, probably

by Wednesday morning you'll see some initial announcements coming out.

It's going to take a couple - three days to get everything deployed from a

communication's standpoint.

And I think Don you had said that you would take the charge for delivering the

survey into the IETF WEIRDS group. And then I'm still looking at how to

communicate out to the RIR's. So other than that I think we're ready to go.

So again Susan...

Don Blumenthal: Yes...

Berry Cobb: Go ahead Don.

Don Blumenthal: Yes just confirming I'll give you the IETF.

Berry Cobb: Great and Susan, I see that you joined now. Just wanted to let you know that

we did get your edits on the list and Wilson and/or I will make sure we get them in. It looked like it was mostly just typos and consistencies with terms.

Susan Prosser: Right, right. I can finish it probably later on tonight if you want.

Berry Cobb: Okay sure. Yes just send me - send all the edits you find to the list and I'll get

those implemented in. I'm not sure how much you heard, but we'll basically kind of start trying to make it available to the community tomorrow and some of the communications for it will probably start showing up Wednesday.

of the communications for it will probably start showing up Wednesday.

Susan Prosser: Oh that's fine.

Berry Cobb: And so I think we'll - good to go.

Susan Prosser: Great.

Berry Cobb: So if nobody has anything else I think we can go ahead and end the call

early. And all the cleanup communications will happen on the list.

I suspect that I'll also communicate with (Michael) to see what his vision is for when we meet next, but I suspect that we won't need to meet until after the end of October when the survey closes or - and then, you know, basically

we'll be together in Toronto anyway.

So anyways, maybe suspect a meeting sometime towards the end of

October, probably the first week of November.

(Anne): Berry, this is (Anne).

Berry Cobb:

Yes.

(Anne):

Would it be possible as this week progresses - I assume you'll keep in touch with us and let us know when things have been sent out and provide us with all the details of what's gone out, so we can pick all our own people that we were going to try and get to present that as well?

Berry Cobb:

Absolutely. One of the other things that I'll send out is kind of like the template of the communications that's going to be going to the various areas containing a link to the survey and all of that.

And most definitely as we - I'll probably wait the first couple of weeks, but then probably by Week 3 and on a weekly basis I'll send out a notice as to how many surveys or entries have been accepted and how many are completed and those kinds of things.

(Anne):

Okay great. Thank you.

Berry Cobb:

All right, well if nobody has anything else, then I thank you all for joining. Congratulations, we finally got this thing launched and hopefully we'll get some good feedback from the community.

(Anne):

Thank you Berry.

Berry Cobb:

All right, take care everyone. Talk to you soon.

Woman:

Thank you. Bye bye.

(Anne):

Bye.