ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 11-13-12/9:00 am CT Confirmation # 7897623 Page 1

## ICANN Transcription Thick Whois PDP Working Group Tuesday 13 November 2012 at 15:00 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of Thick Whois PDP Working Group on the Tuesday 13 November 2012 at 15:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in Some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-thick-whois-20121113-en.mp3

On page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/calendar/#nov

## Attendees:

Wilson Abigaba - NCUC Marc Anderson – RySG Titi Akinsanmi – At Large Roy Balleste – NCUC Avri Doria – NCSG Amr Elsadr – NCSG Ray Fassett - RySG Alan Greenberg – At Large Volker Greimann - RrSG Evan Lebovitch - ALAC Steve Metalitz - IPC Ope Oodusan – At Large Mikey O'Connor - ISPCP Susan Prosser – RrSG Norm Ritchie - RySG Tim Ruiz – RrSG Jill Titzer – RrSG Joe Waldron - RySG Leigha Weinberg – IPC Jennifer Wolfe - NomCom App Jonathan Zuck - IPC

## Apologies:

Michael Shohat – RrSG Don Blumenthal – RySG Iliya Bazlyankov - RrSG Frederic Guillemaut - RrSG Jonathan Tenenbaum - RrSG

## ICANN staff: Marika Konings

Barbara Roseman Glen De Saint Gery Julia Charvolen

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

11-13-12/9:00 am CT Confirmation # 7897623

Page 2

Operator:

...like to remind all participants this conference is being recorded. If you have any objections you may disconnect at this time. You may begin.

Julia Chavolen:

Thank you. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. This is the Thick WHOIS PDP Working Group on the 13th of November. On the call today we have Mark Anderson, Ray Fassett, Alan Greenberg, Volker Greimann, Steve Metalitz, Mikey O'Connor, Susan Prosser, Norman Ritchie, Tim Ruiz, Jill Titzer, Lea Weinberg, Jennifer Wolf.

We have apologies from Maguy Serad, Don Blumenthal and Jonathan Tenenbaum. From Staff we have Marika Konings and myself, (Julia Chavolin).

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and over to you.

Mikey O'Connor:

Thanks (Julia) and welcome all. This is Mikey O'Connor, your interim Chair, ably assisted by Marika Konings and Volker Greimann as our GNSO liaison.

And check out Volker's – oh okay, Volker needs to drop off at the end of the hour. We'll see how we do. We're scheduled for 90 minutes on this call because we've got sort of a pretty packed agenda.

But if we stay at this number of participants I bet we can actually get through this in an hour. The agenda is off on the right and I'll sort of run through that really quickly, and then we'll check in on Statements of Interest and by that time see if some more folks have joined.

This call is largely the get things underway call, so we'll spend some time introducing ourselves to each other just to find out who we are and sort of where we're coming from.

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 11-13-12/9:00 am CT

Confirmation # 7897623

Page 3

We'll talk a bit about the underlying principles of transparency and openness

that drive this process. We'll have an election for the leadership. We'll talk

about sort of background materials that have already been prepared on this

topic that people should be familiar with.

We'll begin sketching out a work plan and work on our next meeting. We've

probably got some – a little bit of work to do there because we had late

breaking results on the Doodle poll where quite a few people couldn't make it

to this time, so we'll probably have to do that over again.

So that's sort of the outlines of the agenda. Are there any additions or

changes that people want to make before we pause for the Statements of

Interest stuff?

Okay. What you see on the screen in front of you is the list of participants

that have signed up for the Working Group so far. And as you can see some

of you have not completed a Statement of Interest yet, and so part of the

price of admission is that in order to participate you do need to complete one

of those and so expect to be nudged by the Secretariat mercilessly until you

do.

So it would be a good idea to get that complete. And since this is the first

call I think it's safe to say that we can skip the changes to Statements of

Interest because this is our first call, so I'm not going to do that.

But we will - in subsequent calls you can expect that whoever's leading the

call will pause for a minute right at the beginning in the call and ask people if

their Statement of Interest has changed.

And the underlying reason for this is just so that we can all remain up to date

on where people are coming from, what their interests are and so on. So

that's what is going on with that.

But since were in the initial call I thin we can skip that today. The next agenda item is to just walk through each of us, take a – not very long. We

don't have a whole lot of time for this.

But please do introduce yourself, give a little bit of a sense of what

constituency you're in and the point of view that you're bringing to this

conversation.

And one thing that I would add to this is if there's some special talent or

some special interest or some special contribution that you feel would be

useful to a group like this, this would be a good time to sort of let the rest of

know about it because we are the resource to doing this work, and it's

always good to know what we can do.

So I think we'll just go down the participants in order. Over on the left side

you can see the list of participants. So Alan is first so he's going to get to

kick this off.

And we'll just work our way down the list in that order and if anybody comes

in after, we'll pick those folks up at the end. So Alan do you want to kick off

the introduction cycle?

Alan Greenberg:

I'll do that and I'll be introducing both Alan and Alan 2.

Mikey O'Connor: Yes, I was going to say you're a numeric clone.

Alan Greenberg: For the second day in a row Adobe – for a second day in the row Adobe

freezes up on me and I have to restart the whole thing.

Mikey O'Connor: Well...

Alan Greenberg: And I don't know why. Anyway I am on the At-Large Advisory Committee.

I'm also the ALAC liaison to the GNSO, and I have a rather strong interest in

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 11-13-12/9:00 am CT Confirmation # 7897623

Page 5

this particular subject. And I was a very inactive Vice Chair or Co-Chair of

the Drafting Team.

Mikey O'Connor: Thanks Alan. (Amir)?

Amr: Elsadr Yes hi. My name is (Amr). I'm with the Non-Commercial Users

Constituency. I'm a relatively new member and looking forward to working

with everyone here.

Mikey O'Connor: It's great to have you. We have a number of new members. And one of the

things that Marika and I were talking about a little bit before the call is much of what's going on on this call I think will be very helpful and informative to

you.

But if at the end of the call some of you who are new are feeling overwhelmed or confused, two important points. One, don't be shy about asking the leaders of the Working Group and Marika questions either on the

list or directly.

And the other is that if people feel the need we might schedule another call for new folks to sort of bring them up to speed on things like how all this Adobe stuff works and Statements of Interest and so on and so forth.

So don't feel shy about asking for more information, because bringing new people into the Working Group process is a very important part of what we do here at ICANN, and we really want to help you with that. So thanks

(Amir).

Amr Elsadr: Thank you.

Mikey O'Connor: Barb, go ahead. Barb (Rosen), are you maybe on mute or maybe not on the

call or maybe having trouble getting off mute? Sometimes that takes a

while. I'll give it one more try, and then Barb if it gets cleared up just mention something in the chat and I'll circle back to you. Jennifer, go ahead.

Jennifer Wolf: Hi, can you hear me?

Mikey O'Connor: Yes.

Jennifer Wolf: Okay great. Sorry. I just want to make sure I wasn't on mute. Hi, I'm

Jennifer Wolf. I'm really excited to join the Working Group. I am the NomCom non-voting appointee to the GNSO Council, so very excited.

This is my first Working Group so please bear with me and have some patience as I learn the process, but very excited to be involved. I do digital strategy consulting with brand owners, so I certainly have an interest in this topic as it relates to helping brand owners protect their brands.

But as a NomCom non-voting, you know, my goal is to be very neutral and represent all Internet users in this important issue.

Mikey O'Connor: Thanks Jennifer and welcome to your first Working Group. That's great.

Jennifer Wolf: Thank you. And I apologize. I have to leave at 11:00. I have another call

starting so I apologize if I drop off right around 11:00.

Mikey O'Connor: Yes. I think we're going to have a fair amount of attrition at 11:00, so we'll

try and push to – or at the top of the hour anyway. And so we'll try to push to get this done by then. Berry Cobb, are you here as a Staff person or as a

Working Group participant Berry?

Marika Konings: Yes this is Marika. I think Berry hasn't joined the bridge yet but he's here as

a Staff member.

Mikey O'Connor: Oh good. I didn't know he was – is he going to be helping on this one?

That's great.

Marika Konings: No. Barbara is actually the backup but I think, you know, Berry's also

interested in this issue so as I said he's not a Working Group participant.

Mikey O'Connor: Okay, let's see. Jill I think you're next.

Jill Titzer: Hi, Jill Titzer. I am - actually this is my first Working Group. I just started in

this type of role about three or four weeks ago. So I met some of you at ICANN in Toronto and I'm going to be participating from a Registrar

perspective.

Mikey O'Connor: Great. Which Registrar are you with?

Jill Titzer: GoDaddy.com.

Mikey O'Connor: I've heard of them. I'm a customer of them. Cool. Well welcome Jill. That's

great. Jonathan. Is Jonathan on the call? I saw him...

Jonathan Zuck: Jonathan Zuck?

Mikey O'Connor: Oh good, you are on. Go for it.

Jonathan Zuck: Yes I'm here. I know there's a few Jonathans floating around the

community. This is Jonathan Zuck and I'm the head of a trade association based in Brussels that represents small and medium-sized ICT companies, a

lot of mobile app developers and we're a member of the ITC and our

members are, you know, deal with a lot of issues related to IP and consumer protection. And so we have an interest in a robust WHOIS system for those

purposes.

Mikey O'Connor: Great. Lea Weinberg.

Page 8

Lea Weinberg:

Hi all, I'm Lea Weinberg. I work at Google. I'm an attorney at Google but primarily I would say I'm a part of this Working Group as a representative of Charleston Road Registry, the Registry business that will be affiliated with Google.

And I would say one of the things that drew me to this – I'm new to ICANN but I'm very interested in the privacy aspects of WHOIS, so that's a piece that I'd love to participate in.

Mikey O'Connor: All right. That's great. There are a number of people on this call who will

join you in that interest. Mark?

Mark Anderson: Hi this is Mark. I've also got Joe Waldron on the phone with me as well.

Mikey O'Connor: Oh great.

Joe Waldron: Hi this is Joe. So Mark and I are participating in this representing VeriSign,

so we've definitely got an interest in the topic and discussion so...

Mikey O'Connor: So is Keith going to join as well or are you guys the VeriSign guys for this

one?

Joe Waldron: I think we're going to be the representatives from VeriSign.

Mikey O'Connor: Great. Well welcome. It's great to have you here. Norm.

Norm Ritchie: Hi. So my name's Norm Ritchie. I'm with the Internet Systems Consortium

and we're providing Registry services for a number of new gTLD applicants.

Also a lot of my colleagues are very active in the ITF RFC definitions around

WHOIS as well.

Mikey O'Connor: Right. Okay cool. Oh dear, I'm going to wreck your name (Odeson Opi) or -

I'm not sure how to pronounce your name but anyway take it away.

Marika Konings: This is Marika. I don't think that (Opi) is actually on the conference bridge.

Mikey O'Connor: Okay. Well we'll circle back around if they join. Ray you're next. You may

be muted Ray.

Man: Hi, thank you.

Ray Fassett: He's here. Ray's here.

Mikey O'Connor: Oh well there we go. Go ahead Ray.

Ray Fassett: What did you need from me? I'm sorry.

Mikey O'Connor: Oh this is just introductions, just who you are and why you're interested and

stuff like that.

Ray Fassett: Okay thank you. Okay Ray Fassett. I'm with the Dot Jobs Registry. My

interest in this is primarily that right now as most probably know Dot Jobs does run a thin WHOIS and, you know, understanding the implications of a

thick WHOIS and how that could potentially impact our operations is

something we have interest in.

And – but with that said we're also very open to the idea of a thick WHOIS as well so there's no preset determinations or anything. But that's my introduction and my interest in this particular Working Group. Thank you.

Mikey O'Connor: Thanks Ray. Okay let's see, (Roy) I think you're next.

Roy Balleste: Hello sir.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 11-13-12/9:00 am CT Confirmation # 7897623 Page 10

Mikey O'Connor: And Ray I think you might want to mute – sorry (Roy). I'm cutting you off but

I think it's Ray's line that's got a lot of noise on it. Somebody's got a very noisy line anyway, and maybe the operator can help us with figuring out

which line that is and getting it muted. Go ahead (Roy).

Roy Balleste: Yes no problem. First of all I wanted to thank you for conducting this

meeting. It's very reassuring to have you guiding the group. I wanted to

also let you know that I'm new to the process as well.

I come from the point of view of - I'm a librarian. That's my first profession and so I'm interested in this process from the point of view of human rights, and in particular the privacy aspect as well. And I'm looking forward to

working with you.

Mikey O'Connor: Great. Thanks.

Roy Balleste: Thank you sir.

Mikey O'Connor: Steve you're next.

Steve Metalitz: Yes, thank you Mikey. I'm Steve Metalitz. I'm with the Intellectual Property

Constituency. I'm a lawyer and I represent a coalition of copyright industry

companies and groups called the Coalition for Online Accountability.

Their primary interest in ICANN matters is access to and accuracy of WHOIS

data, so that's why I'm participating in this group.

Mikey O'Connor: Thanks Steve. Susan, go ahead.

Susan Prosser: Hey, good morning Mikey and everyone. I'm Susan Prosser. I am with

Domain Tools and part of the Registrar Constituency Group. Domain Tools is a data provider including WHOIS data, and so as that I have a very near

and dear interest in WHOIS policy development.

I don't have an opinion one or the other how thick WHOIS comes out of this, but I know it's a very important development within the community as a whole so I'm very intrigued and interested in participating. Thank you.

Mikey O'Connor: Great. Thanks. Tim, go ahead.

Tim Ruiz: Tim Ruiz with GoDaddy.com as well and main interest of GoDaddy.com of

course as a Registrar, so our main interest in participating is just how the outcomes might affect the Registrars of course. And as – equally important

would be the impact on our customers. Thanks.

Mikey O'Connor: Thanks Tim. (Titi).

Titi Akinsanmi: Titi here with Atlas Air - interest in the Working Group. It's an effective one.

I come from an academic background so I'm looking for – that we can

achieve a balance between Atlas' side of security.

And I really hope we're making sure that human angle to our discussions is

not forgotten as well. Thank you.

Mikey O'Connor: Thanks Titi. Volker?

Volker Greimann: Hello, I am Volker Greimann. I'm General Council with Key Systems and I

am on the GNSO Council since the Toronto meeting and I have been

appointed as the Council Liaison.

My interest in this is mostly reporting to the GNSO Council as well as

representing the Registrar side in gauging how this will affect our customers.

Mikey O'Connor: Thanks Volker. I've got a few people that have joined since the – I'm going

to work in a funny order. So (Opi) if you're on the call now why don't you go

next?

Ope Oodusan: Yes it's (Opi Odeson). I'm in Nigeria. I'm interest...

Mikey O'Connor: Oh dear. Did we just lose (Opi)?

Ope Oodusan: Hello. Can you hear me?

Mikey O'Connor: Oh yes now I can hear you. You dropped off. Yes.

Ope Odusan: Simply running my interest is basically from a ccTLD (unintelligible) and we

currently use a think client. So I'm interested in seeing what the thick client

will involve and I'm only from a ccTLD perspective.

Mikey O'Connor: Great. Well that'll be – I think this will be interesting and informative. Oh

dear. So whoever's keeping an eye on the bridge needs to – oh it's gone. Good. Avri, do you want to go next? I'm working off a private chat with

Marika and then I'll pick up the other folks that came on.

Avri Doria: Okay yes. I'm Avri Doria. I'm part-time with Dot Gay LLC and a member of

the SCSG. My interest in this group and in WHOIS is to look at the risks to people when they switch from having a Registrar in a safe place like Europe and having to switch to a thick WHOIS with a Registry in a less safe place

for privacy.

Mikey O'Connor: Thanks. Let's see. (Amir) I think. Did we do (Amir)? (Amir) have you

introduced yourself yet? I can't remember.

Amr Elsadr: I did earlier.

Mikey O'Connor: Okay. Sorry.

Amr Elsadr: Do you want me to go again?

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 11-13-12/9:00 am CT Confirmation # 7897623 Page 13

Mikey O'Connor: No.

Amr Elsadr: Okay.

Mikey O'Connor: That's the appropriate way to handle stupid questions from Mikey though.

That was precisely the correct response. Thank you very much.

Amr Elsadr: Sorry. Thank you.

Mikey O'Connor: I – is there anybody that has not had a chance to introduce themselves?

That's maybe a better way to go. Okay it looks like we've got the list. Let

me wrap this up just with my introduction.

I'm an entrepreneur that retired about 15 years ago. I was – before being an entrepreneur and making a bunch of money I was a pretty successful executorial manager type guy and big 8/6/4/3 consulting type guy.

And my interest in ICANN is mostly just that I really enjoy the corporation and the people that I know here. But as you'll see on my Statement of Interest way back in the early days of Dot Com, 1993 or 4, I got seven or eight very, very generic domain names and I have ever since been trying to figure out what to do with them.

And four of them are now exact matches to applied for top-level domain strings, so I'm – I am interested both from a technical and a policy standpoint in what's going on.

But I don't really have a dog in this particular fight, and that was part of the reason why I worked fairly hard on Chairing the Drafting Team is because I didn't and don't really have a strong opinion about this.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 11-13-12/9:00 am CT Confirmation # 7897623

Page 14

I was also on the Working Group that came up with the recommendation to suggest this, and I will periodically inject that perspective if others don't. But there are others on the Working Group that will be able to do that as well.

So that's my introduction. Last call for folks who want to introduce themselves before we move on to the next – oh Marika. I'm sorry.

Marika Konings:

Yes. Hi, this is Marika. And just for those of you who don't know me, I'm with ICANN Staff since 2008 and responsible for supporting some of the policy development activities that take place in the GNSO Council and the GNSO, amongst which this Working Group.

So I'm the lead Staff support for this Working Group, but as you've seen we also have Barbara Roseman who's a backup and, you know, a third backup. I think Berry would be willing to do that as well.

So we make sure that we always have Staff support available to support the Working Groups in your activities. And maybe just to raise as well what Mikey said earlier on this call, for those of you that are new to, you know, policy development activities, if at any point you have any questions or like some further background information on some of the processes and procedures, you know, please feel free to reach out to me or any of the other staff members and then we'll do our best to provide you the information you need to get up to speed.

Mikey O'Connor:

Thanks Marika. I'll – some little known facts about Marika is that in addition to her role as an ICANN Staff person, she's also a brain surgeon and she also leads a rock and roll band and does a superb job on all three of those things.

But she's definitely taking a break from brain surgery today to help us with this one. Okay, on to Item Number 3, Principles of Transparency and Openness. Marika, can I throw this one to you or do you want me to stumble through it on my own?

Marika Konings:

Yes this is Marika. I'm happy to cover that one. This is basically just a reminder as per the GNSO Working Guidelines that, you know, GNSO Working Groups work in a open and transparent manner, which means that a Statement of Interest need to be submitted and those are publicly accessible.

All calls are recorded and transcribed. An email list for this Working Group is publicly archived so, you know, just to make – assure you as well you're aware when you send emails in the meeting list make sure you don't include any information that you don't want to have publicly available on the Internet, because we do operate in the mode of transparent and open communications.

Mikey O'Connor:

Thanks a lot. Okay, now it's time for the election thing. And I think, you know, I'm the interim Chair so at this point I might hand this part of the call over to Marika since I am also – I've thrown my name into the hat to be the Chair as well and feels a little awkward to have both of those roles on that particular agenda item. So Marika if you could take Number 4 as well that would be terrific.

Marika Konings:

Sure. So this is Marika again. So basically as a agenda item I already explained and normally a Chair is selected at the first meeting of the Working Group.

It's up to the Working Group to decide whether they would like to have, you know, one Chair, a system of Co-Chairs and Vice Chairs so that's something you may want to discuss.

**ICANN** Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

11-13-12/9:00 am CT Confirmation # 7897623

Page 16

And once you have selected your Chair the GNSO Council is supposed to confirm the Chair. It's normally just a formality so basically the Council liaison usually communicates on the choice of the Working Group to the Council for their information, and I don't think we have had any instances where there was any objection from the Council to that.

So on that note and Mikey has already expressed an interest to stand for the position of Chair, so at this point I would like to, you know, open the floor to people to either nominate themselves, make nominations for other Chairs, express their views on whether they feel there should be a Co-Chairs or Vice Chairs or whether it would be sufficient having one Chairs. So with that I would like to open the queue. Avri, please go ahead.

Avri Doria:

Yes, I wholeheartedly endorse the candidacy of Mike. I think from experience I've seen in other groups, I think getting a Co-Chair to work with him would be the optimal thing and I don't have any nominations in mind, nor am I volunteering.

But I do want to endorse his candidacy and recommend the notion of a Co-Chair over the notion of a Vice Chair. The problem with Vice Chairs is they kind of have to wait for the Chair to sort of provide leadership, whereas with Co-Chairs they work together, they back each other up and I think it works more smoothly. Thanks.

Marika Konings:

Jill?

Susan Prosser:

I was going to second – or I'll second Avri's nomination of Mikey. As my opinion of co-or vice chair I think it's - would probably come from Mikey or from the chair himself as to what they want to take on themselves or share the workload of I think.

As Avri mentioned it's having a co-chair could sometimes benefit by just sharing the overall responsibility. But I would depend on the chair deciding what they wanted to take on.

Marika Konings: Thanks (Susan). And first go to Steve and then maybe Mikey can respond to

(Susan)'s question.

Steve?

Steve Metalitz: Yes this is Steve Metalitz. I would certainly support Mikey as chair. And I'd

suggest based on our success in the drafting team Alan Greenberg as either place or co-chair. I can't remember which he was in the drafting team. But I thought the, you know, the leadership team worked well. So I would put

Alan's name forward.

Marika Konings: Mike? Mikey do you want to go first and then Alan?

Mike O'Connor: Let Alan go first. It's fine.

Alan Greenberg: I'll respond the same way I did in the other one. I have a moderately full plate

and I plan to be an active participant in this group.

Should Mikey want me as a vice chair basically to take over chairing responsibilities or someone to bounce ideas off of I'm willing to do it.

I'm not willing to take on the co-chair responsibility and the workload it involves. Plus I do have a bias, not bias, but I have strong opinions on this.

And although I have no problem wearing two hats and moving between them

it's not optimal. But yes.

Mike O'Connor: It's Mikey. You know, I'm fine just chairing this one. And then what we did in

IRTP in some of the other working groups -- not the most recent one because

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 11-13-12/9:00 am CT

Confirmation # 7897623

Page 18

Avri and James Bladell co-chaired that one, but the one before and I think all

of the ones prior to that we had a single chair.

And when there was a meeting that the chair couldn't make they just found

somebody to run the meeting that was good at running meetings.

I'm hoping to leverage a lot of you all in terms of doing the work. And so I'm

fine either way. If somebody would like to be co-chair that would be delightful.

But if not I can run solo on this one.

Marika Konings:

Thanks Mikey. Anyone else that wants to be in the queue?

If not maybe I can make a suggestion then that, you know, there doesn't

seem to be any opposition to Mikey's candidature and there have been some

suggestions to either have a co-chair or a vice chair or, you know, as Mikey

suggested if the system of where there's one chair but, you know, the chair

can call upon people to step in if needed.

As we do have a couple people weren't able to make this call maybe I can

suggest to communicate those findings or our conclusions on that point who

the mailing is so people have an opportunity to respond or put forward their

candidacy if they would like to. And then maybe we can finalize this

discussion during next week's meeting if people agree with that.

I hear no objections, Mikey I'm happy to turn it back to you.

Mike O'Connor:

Thanks Marika and thanks all. If your minds change as people who have

worked with me before know I have a twisted sense of humor and quite enjoy

trying to figure stuff like that out.

You know one of the things that came up in that chat is that, you know,

maybe what we do is we sort of leave that co-chair slot open as an open

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

11-13-12/9:00 am CT Confirmation # 7897623

Page 19

question. And if it either seems like a useful thing to add or somebody really

wants to do it we can always bolt it on later.

But for now as I said I'm pretty comfortable doing this one as a chair and then

I'll hand it off to others when I can't make it.

The next thing is Item Number 5. And Marika I may throw this one back to

you. This is especially important for those of you who are new to this process.

Actually Marika tell you what. Let me do this one and then if I miss something

or screw it up you can help me because I do want to make a few points here.

So let's see can I run – yes I can.

Right now I'm – I have control of your screen right? I can't tell which way it's

going on.

Marika Konings: Yes you do.

Mike O'Connor:

Okay. So there's really a list of a few things here. I'm going to go through this

fairly fast because I want to get to the work plan. I've got a question for the

group that I want to make sure we get to before the top of the hour.

So if this goes too fast we can either take it off-line or we can pick it up again

on the next call. But there – especially for those of you who are new to the

working group process this is important stuff to pay attention to.

So the first part of all this is the GNSO policy development process itself, the

process that we are in.

And there's some background to that that goes back several years. And one

of the things that's been going on over the last several years is developing a

revised policy development process that was only recently adopted. It's only

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

11-13-12/9:00 am CT Confirmation # 7897623

Page 20

been in place really since December of 2011. And we are abiding by those

rules.

So let's talk a little bit about what that looks like.

And it's essentially the phases that you see on the screen in front of you. And

we are right in the middle. We are the working group.

So we are preceded by some steps that have already taken place. And this is

some material that all of us need to be familiar with.

Because Thick Whois is especially a narrow topic and some of you may be

disappointed to find out how narrow it is and may conclude that this isn't a

working group that you're actually terribly interested in.

So it's important to take a look at the work that's come before. And then we

will complete the council. We send our report to the council. The council

deliberates on that. They vote on it and then it goes on implementation.

And almost every arrow in-between there's public comment. Well there's

already been public comment on this and there will be certainly more before

we're done.

Now let's see. I think maybe at this stage of the game I'm just going to show

you this. I'm not going to take you through this whole thing because going

through all these slides would take the rest of the hour.

And for those of you who are new why don't you read these slides? I think the

links have been sent to the list and undoubtedly will get sent again.

If you find this puzzling this is the sort of thing that we could either do an off-

line call or substantial conversation about.

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 11-13-12/9:00 am CT

Confirmation # 7897623

Page 21

Some of us have done enough of this that it would be a repeat. But for those

of you who are new it's extremely important that you find out how all of this

works. So I'm not going to take us through all this detail today.

Then this in no way is a sort of high-level version of the work plan. But the

part that's left out is the actual work.

Okay one of the things that we will be doing during this is soliciting

statements from your constituencies and stakeholder groups. And if you're

participating as an individual you can make a statement too.

Those are very helpful especially at the beginning of the process because

that's the foundation on which we build a lot of the work that we'll be doing.

We'll in this particular one also go out to some of the other advisory

committees and supporting organizations. For example the Security and

Stability Advisory Committee may have some contributions to make to the

work that we do.

The initial report resulted from those two things. But we're going to probably

going to do the same process again.

You know, this is leading – the way this bullet or this slide is structured this is

leading up to the initial report which – well sorry, I'll back completely out of

that garage. This is what happens when Mikey presents slides that he hasn't

reviewed. Sorry about that.

So our big deliverable and actually the hardest deliverable I think is the initial

report. The comments then come in and then we revise that report and that's

our final report.

And one of the things that I want to plant in your head now and we'll pick up

again in a minute on that last agenda item is whether we think we can get

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 11-13-12/9:00 am CT

Page 22

Confirmation # 7897623

through an initial report by early in the year next year so that we might be

able to get a final report done by Beijing because we have such a long time

span.

I'm not sure we can make that but I'd like to plant that as a target in our

heads right now is the timing.

There's a series of really helpful links. And Alan is raising in the chat the

question is there a link to this presentation for those who haven't seen it yet?

And I'm presuming that that link might show up in the chat and it's - yes

Marika this is the nice thing about falcon mind mail between me and Marika is

that there's the link to the presentation in the chat now. And then it will also

go in the notes that follow this call.

Okay. So then quickly through our charter we are not doing a lot. We are

doing one very narrow thing which is to come up with a recommendation with

regard to the use of a Thick Whois system or structure. I've forgotten of the

term we use. We've labored over it and I've now forgotten it by all GTLD

registries both existing and future.

So we are not going to get into a whole lot of the broader Whois policies. This

is a somewhat narrower, somewhat more technical in a way issue.

Although as many has mentioned there are some – there's certainly some

tasty policy issues that we need to get through.

I think at least personally one of the tastiest is the privacy issue that several

people mentioned. So there is policy type work to do. I don't want to leave

that impression. But it's not the whole gamut of Whois issues that you might

otherwise think of.

So here's a little list. Again this is not something I can run through in this

amount of time. But our charter goes into quite a bit of detail about each of

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

11-13-12/9:00 am CT Confirmation # 7897623

Page 23

these bullets. And I highly recommend the charter as background reading for

those of you who haven't already.

The main job that we have to do this to figure out the impact of these kinds of

things or the impact that would be felt if we switched to Thick Whois for all

registries in these dimensions -- cost, synchronization, data escrow, impact

on privacy and data protection, et cetera, et cetera

You know, this is the topic list. And we've got a first start at that in the charter.

But we have much work to do on this one. So the charter is highly

recommended reading.

Then there are a few things that if we decide that Thick Whois this a good

idea we also need to take a look at some subsequent topics.

If we conclude as a working group that Thick Whois across all registries is not

a good idea then we have a little bit less work to do. Don't let that be a

motivator.

There are some other things that are going on in the ICANN policy arena that

are sort of running in parallel with us.

And as we get through our work and they get through theirs we are going to

want to pay attention to what they and we have come up with to bind these

things together.

So again there – this is sort of the gee there a lot of moving parts in this

process. And yes, I'm with (Tim) on this actually, required reading on the

charter.

Because we worked hard, those of us who are on the drafting team worked

pretty hard. And I think we did a pretty good job on the working through that.

So I'll second (Tim)'s comment.

Let's see then there's some other stuff in – oh in the charter itself there's

some other stuff that we may need to go through in more detail on the next

call especially the decision-making methodology and the issue escalation and

resolution processes.

I as a chair share have a role to play. But you as members of the working

group have avenues to challenge my work if it's not satisfactory. And, you

know that's what's cloaked in these bullets.

You know, I'm not just the person that runs the meetings. I also make some

choices for the group in certain situations especially around the level of

consensus.

And if everybody in the group agrees then we're fine. If not there is a way for

you to challenge those choices and get a second opinion.

And so we'll work through that. But again that's a bit more material than we

can handle on this particular call.

On the other hand I always defer to Avri on these kinds of questions because

she built all this stuff and knows it a lot better than me. Go ahead Avri.

Avri Doria:

Yes hi. Thanks. I thought that there was basically a stage between you sort of

making your first guesses at where we were on levels of consensus and

doing a whole sort of feedback loop with the community.

And it's only the end of the day that you make decisions that, you know then

we'd have to take an appealing motion to.

But by and large I thought it was much more of the cyclical feedback loop.

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

11-13-12/9:00 am CT Confirmation # 7897623

Page 25

Mike O'Connor:

Yes. And you know, one of the reasons I'm so bad at this is that I've never

been on one where I actually had to do any of that work because we always

wound up at pretty close to or at unanimous consensus.

So I will probably give the decision-making methodology a reread myself just

to make sure I've got that right.

And again it's mostly, you know, I think this is another required reading part of

the charter because that is documented in the charter in some detail.

Okay let's see, then there's the working group guidelines. I'm taking a look at

time. I'm going to go extremely fast to this because there's way too much

material here to cover in the remaining time and take just a couple minutes

for questions and then circle back.

You know, I'm driving pretty hard to shorten this meeting from 90 minutes to

60 because we have a number of people who need to drop off at the top the

hour.

And I want to get a sense of your appetite for pushing pretty aggressively on

the schedule.

So maybe just a few questions on this and then get to that and then we'll try

and wrap it up.

Yes many – Avri is saying in the chat I am one who needs to drop off. But

there are all sorts of folks. We have pretty dramatic attrition at the top of the

hour.

Alan go ahead.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 11-13-12/9:00 am CT Confirmation # 7897623

Page 26

Alan Greenberg: Yes no comment of this. I would like to mention – make a suggestion under

when we start talking about work plan. And I suspect it may be useful to do

that before people start dropping off so...

Mike O'Connor: Yes why don't you go ahead and make it now.

Alan Greenberg: Okay.

Mike O'Connor: Let's go ahead and segue into work plan. Because if people have questions

about this huge amount of material we can always take some time on the

next call to address it. So go ahead now.

Alan Greenberg: Thank you Mikey.

I noted as we were going through the – the roll call and people identify  $% \left( 1\right) =\left( 1\right) +\left( 1\right) +\left$ 

themselves we have no one from PIR here.

And since they are the only registry that has made the decision to go from thin to thick and has experienced the transition I think it would be useful for us to reach out to them, perhaps get someone to brief us in an early meeting in both their rationale and their experiences plus and minus in going through

this process.

Mike O'Connor: I think we've got two...

Alan Greenberg: We're not reinventing things.

Mike O'Connor: Yes. And I think we've got two helpful folks there. I think Ray went through it.

As I recall Ray was – Ray Fassett was at PIR. And then Don Blumenthal from

PIR is in the working group. He just did...

Alan Greenberg: He's not here today.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 11-13-12/9:00 am CT Confirmation # 7897623 Page 27

((Crosstalk))

Alan Greenberg: Okay.

Mike O'Connor: Yes.

Alan Greenberg: All right. In that case I still say we should try to get that as an active item on

the agenda.

Mike O'Connor: Yes.

Alan Greenberg: Not his own risk as...

Mike O'Connor: Lessons learned. Yes...

((Crosstalk))

Mike O'Connor: ....for sure. Learn from the experience of others. Absolutely, good idea.

Okay l'm - l'd like to leave that. I'm not hearing shrieks of pain if we tried to push this fairly fast because, you know, the difficulty with fast is sometimes we don't go as deep as we need to.

But I thought that what we did a number of you were on IRTP C I think is the one that just wrapped up.

And we tried this fairly aggressive scheduling and then fall back if we need to approach. And I sort of want to do the same approach here and see how it goes.

And I am mostly just want to try that expectation out on you. And if it makes you crazy don't feel like this is the last chance you'll have at challenging that. But I want you to know that that's what I'm going to try and do.

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

11-13-12/9:00 am CT Confirmation # 7897623

Page 28

And we're now five minutes away from the top of the hour. In the last agenda

item is confirmation of the next meeting.

We had kind of a funny thing happen on the Doodle poll for this call where we

called the meeting at this time. And then a number of people chimed in on the

Doodle poll saying that later in the daytime was actually better for them.

On the other hand we've had pretty good turnout on this call.

So I think what we will do, Marika and I will circulate a Doodle poll with just

the three Tuesday times. We won't do the whole shebang and confirm what

the rest of you how that would work out and see if we can settle on a

returning recurring time for this call.

Steve. Go ahead.

Steve Metalitz:

Yes actually this is Steve Metalitz, just one suggestion that might possibly

expedite things.

You mentioned about one of our jobs is to ask the constituency stakeholder

groups, advisory committees and so forth for their views.

I think most – and many of them have expressed their views recently and in

some cases quite recently either in comments on the issues report that

preceded this effort or in comments on the .com renewal where this issue

was prominently discussed.

So I wonder if the staff might be able to pull together those recent public

comments from ICANN entities and that might help us move more quickly on

that first step.

Mike O'Connor: Okay.

Steve Metalitz: Just a suggestion.

Mike O'Connor: Yes. Yes, yes. (Tim)?

Tim Ruiz: Regarding the Doodle foil that will be coming out for next meeting is this – will

we be selecting a time for weekly meeting or a time for every other weekly

meeting every other week?

Mike O'Connor: I think if we are going to try for this aggressive thing that weekly is probably

the mode.

And that's a good reminder that when we do this poll we should make it clear

that this is for the weekly recurring one-hour meeting so that people have the

right going in position on that. Does that work okay for you (Tim)?

Tim Ruiz: Yes that's fine, just wanted to make sure...

Mike O'Connor: Okay.

Tim Ruiz: ...I understood what the poll is asking.

Mike O'Connor: Yes. No that's a good clarifier. I appreciate that.

Alan, go ahead.

Alan Greenberg: Thank you. I had just one comment on the time. I was one of the one who

raised the issue of concerned with this time because once a month this time conflicts with the monthly At-large Advisory Committee meeting which means every ALAC person and most of the at-large people on this group could not

participated in one – essentially one of the three meetings. And...

((Crosstalk))

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

11-13-12/9:00 am CT Confirmation # 7897623

Page 30

Alan Greenberg: ...I think that would be extremely inappropriate to sort of rule out a significant

part of the community at one meeting every month. Thank you.

Mike O'Connor:

Yes. I mean one of the problems is that we have this narrow band of times

that work for people in Europe and the USA.

The trouble with those late afternoon in Europe – well early afternoon US

early evening Europe is that it's pretty tough on the European participants.

So, you know everybody's got an ox that's going to get gored at some point

to another but we'll, you know, do our best on that.

It's a minute to the top of the hour. And unless there's anything that's - that

feels egregiously overlooked I think we'll stop here.

And I think the thing we will do is we will schedule the next call at this time

next week just so we can keep the meeting schedule going. And then we'll

run that Doodle poll and see sort of how it pans out for the rest of the cycle.

But I don't want to lose a whole week while we're fussing over which timeslot

we're going to be in.

So Marika if you could go ahead and call this one for the same time next

week and then we'll tidy up subsequent to that I think that's our plan.

And with that it's getting pretty close to the top of the hour. Thanks to all for

joining. It's my honor and privilege to serve you as chair. I think this'll be fun.

And for those of you who are new and suddenly feel like an avalanche of

information just fell on you, you're not crazy. And Marika and I am more than

happy to help you wade through all of that.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 11-13-12/9:00 am CT Confirmation # 7897623 Page 31

So with that we'll call it a day. (Julia) can you shut off the recording and we'll see you in a week.

END