Charter Drafting Team for the Outreach Task Force (OTF-DT) TRANSCRIPT Friday 26 August 2011 at 1300 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-otf-20110826-en.mp3
On page:

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#aug

(transcripts and recordings are found on the calendar page)

Participants on the Call:

Carlos Aguirre – NCA Debbie Hughes –NCSG Roy Dykes – RySG

ICANN Support Staff

Glen de Saint Géry Julie Hedlund

Apologies:

Olga Cavalli

Tony Harris - ISPCP

Coordinator: Please go ahead.

Julie Hedlund: Okay thank you so much. Good morning, good afternoon and good

evening everyone. This is the Outreach Task Force Charter Drafting

Team call today on Friday, 26 August 2011.

On the call we have Debbie Hughes, Roy Dykes, and Carlos Aguirre.

And we may be joined later by Olga Cavalli. And from staff we have

Julie Hedlund.

Thank you everyone...

Woman: Thanks.

Julie Hedlund: ...for joining us. I have loaded the latest version of the charter into the

Adobe Connect room. And I know that Roy had hopefully sent a

message around today with some things that he would like to comment

on.

So Debbie since you're chairing the call how would you like us to

proceed?

Debra Hughes: Yes so Carlos were there sections that you wanted us to put focus on

as well? Because perhaps what we could do is talk through the issues

that Roy has identified and then if you have identified any issues as

well?

Carlos Aguirre: I don't understand.

Debra Hughes: Okay so what I was wondering is do you think it makes the most sense

to start with Roy's issues first because he identified three areas that he

wanted to discuss and then maybe go back up to the top of the

document and see if there's any other changes?

Or did you have any specific areas that you wanted us to focus on

similar to what Roy had suggested?

Carlos Aguirre: Yes good for me. We – okay -- start with Roy's questions...

Julie Hedlund: Perfect.

Carlos Aguirre: ...yes?

Julie Hedlund: Perfect okay. So Roy do you mind going ahead and giving us a

highlight of what you were thinking?

Roy Dykes: Sure this is Roy talking for the purpose of the recording. And maybe

this was covered on last week's call after I dropped off because I had

to drop off early.

But I noticed in this draft that the approval date had been moved from

8 September to TBD.

Julie Hedlund: And actually this is Julie and I didn't actually - we didn't discuss that on

the call per se. But the reason I changed that is because there is some

- there is a possibility that the GNSO Council meeting that was

scheduled for the 8th of September may be moved to the 22nd of

September but it's not clear yet whether that's going to happen.

It also occurred to me that that was probably a little bit optimistic

because the council will want its various counselors to take the charter

to their constituencies and stakeholder groups to discuss or at least to

allow time for that.

And usually that means that the constituency and stakeholder groups

need to have time to have a meeting to go over anything that's

introduced, you know, or put before them in a Council meeting.

So probably what would happen is we'd need two council meetings in

order to get the charter approved. It could indeed be submitted in time

for this next council meeting particularly if the council meeting is moved.

The date they're looking at is the 22nd of September. But they probably wouldn't put a motion forward to approve the charter until the following council meeting just because, you know, there would need to be time as I said for the constituencies and stakeholder groups to look at it.

So I wasn't quite sure what to put into that approval dated at this point which is why I change it to TBD and thanks so much for pointing that out.

I would have raised it in any case on the call but I'd be very interested in what others think about this as well.

Roy Dykes:

Okay thanks for the explanation. I guess that makes me ask a couple of follow-ups. The first being was there ever a - I don't know how to ask the right words to use was there ever a date that all of this effort needed to be completed by?

And also if there does need to be - I think it makes sense for there to be time for the constituency groups to review the charter and approve it, does that move the timeframe beginning on Page 3 out?

Julie Hedlund:

This is Julie. Yes that would everything - that would move everything and that's a very good point. But as far as your first question was a date set for this work to be completed, either the drafting of the charter or the work of the OTE? There is no date set.

Page 5

The recommendations that the original - the impetus for this effort came from the board governing committee - Governance Committee

report that was published in February of 2008 I believe.

And that set forth a very large number of various improvement recommendations for the GNSO Council, the GNSO improvements as

they're called.

This is actually one of the last that GNSO improvement efforts. It - this stems from the Operations Steering Committee's Work Team that was handling the constituency and stakeholder group issues. And that was

a group that Olga chaired.

This was the last task of that group. And this is actually the last - well it really was one of the last tasks of the Operations Steering Committee.

And so yes there is an urgency to complete this work. But we do of course have to go through the, you know, the normal procedures of,

you know, the approval process within the GNSO.

And so if I - if you look down at the timeline I've got - I put it in - and all of these were just dates that I, you know, picked because I had to pick dates so they're all up for, you know, discussion.

But we've got establishing the chair, vice chair, and steering committee

by the end of September.

I think that could still happen if the Council is able to vote and approve

the charter at a meeting in September at a council meeting in

Page 6

September. If that doesn't happen then all of these dates are, you

know, likely to slip a little bit.

And in any case with respect to the charter approval dates we probably

need to - that probably needs to be the last thing that gets filled in in

the charter.

Probably now that I think about it has to be sort of TBD because we

don't really know what that, you know, actual date will be. So that could

be filled in, you know, as the last item basically once the charter is

approved.

Roy Dykes:

Okay.

Debra Hughes: Thanks Julie. And...

Roy Dykes:

Yes thanks for the background.

Debra Hughes: Yes and the traffic that I've been seeing on the GNSO Council list it's

not clear to me whether or not we're having the meeting on the 8th or...

Julie Hedlund: Yes I don't know either. This is Julie. It's really up in the air. So I...

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: ...don't know.

Debra Hughes: Right. So with the issue of the deadlines I think, you know, is a real

one.

Julie Hedlund:

Right but, you know, that being said I mean of course this group can complete, you know, whatever changes we want to make to this charter.

When we feel, you know, here in the Drafting Team that the charter's ready to go we can send it whenever we think it's ready to the council. The council will just take it up, you know, when they can.

The other issue that I forgot to mention was that I do know that the agenda for the next council meeting whether it's on the 8th or the 22nd is extremely full. I know...

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Julie Hedlund:

...that Stephan Van Gelder has been very worried about not having, you know, not adding new things to it.

That being said there is no reason that the council can't receive this charter and conceivably, you know, we could add like 5 minutes in the next agenda for, you know, just to say the council, you know, recommends that the, you know, that the various constituencies and stakeholder groups take this out to their organizations and review it or something like that. So I think that step could still happen.

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Julie Hedlund: So is that helpful Roy?

Roy Dykes: Yes. Thank you very much.

Debra Hughes: This is Debbie. So Roy you had another item?

Roy Dykes: Yes. The next one is it's just really small but I noticed in this - in this

draft on - in Section 2 Objective 5 so the top of Page 3 under the goals

section...

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Roy Dykes: ...Number 3, that should be translation right, when all the changes go

through?

Debra Hughes: Yes I guess I - it should be reflected as a lower case, sorry. Yes and I

can't make the change here on this page but you're right it should be a

lower case t. I don't know why...

Roy Dykes: Yes I'm going to still check before we catch it but it's just a thing that I

zeroed in on.

Debra Hughes: It will because it had started the sentence and so it had a capital T but I

guess and I didn't put the small T in so that's a good catch.

Roy Dykes: Okay.

Woman: And then the final question Roy was the participants or the number of

participants in the OCS?

Roy Dykes: Yes now this one I'm pretty sure I missed because I had to drop off

early. I found somewhere where it said limited to 50 participants?

Page 9

Julie Hedlund:

Roy this is Julie. So you this is a conversation we had after you dropped off. And it was really sort of towards the end of our discussion.

And so it's - I really tried to set it up for something that we should discuss on this call.

We weren't really sure what to say as far as, you know, how to, you know, what to say with respect to limiting the number of, you know, OTF members.

And so just to get the conversation started I put in 50. I haven't, you know, the sense that we had in the last call -- and Debbie and Carlos correct me if I'm wrong -- was that, you know, we wanted to perhaps say something about a limit but we weren't really quite sure what to say.

So right now if you look at Page 4 -- and I brought this up in the Adobe Connect -- it says the size of the OTF should be limited to 50 members to ensure that it can function efficiently. And really that is just a number that I pulled out of a hat. So it's out there for us to discuss.

Roy Dykes:

Okay. I don't know if we do that now or other people have comments on the document over all or...

Debra Hughes: Hi. This is Debbie. So Roy were there other specifics - any other specific questions that you had or did that kind of handle?

Roy Dykes:

No those other three that I wanted to bring up. So...

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Roy Dykes: ...overall I think it's a good it's a really great draft.

Debra Hughes: Okay. And Carlos were there any other particular issues that you

wanted to talk about before we start talking about the number of

participants?

Carlos Aguirre: No, no Debbie.

Debra Hughes: Okay great. I just want to make sure.

Carlos Aguirre: For me this was a very good charter. Thank you.

Debra Hughes: Okay sure. So let's - do we want to just go ahead and dive in on this

conversation? I think a lot of it is just, you know, how do we wrap our

hands around this?

I mean I think the idea was brought anticipation right but you don't want

a group the so big that it becomes unwieldy.

Roy Dykes: Yes that was my thinking.

Debra Hughes: Yes I hate numbers right? I mean once you throw the number out there

then, you know, people always question and wonder how did you get

that number, you know,?

Roy Dykes: Exactly, exactly yes.

Debra Hughes: So, you know...

Julie Hedlund: You don't want - preferably don't want the answer I gave which was I

just picked it. So...

Debra Hughes: Right.

Julie Hedlund: ...think we need something a little bit more reasoned.

Debra Hughes: I mean if you - hi. This is Debbie again. So I mean if you think of the

idea the concept being, you know, broad representation from different regional, you know, regional representatives, you know, you don't even

want to say like a certain number per region. I mean it just gets - it's a

mess.

So I mean if we can figure out a way to rationalize a number, if we

were - if we as a group were comfortable with a number of 50 then

maybe we can figure out a way to rationalize.

I mean if we think it should be lower then, you know, I think whatever

number we come up with if we're going to have a number that we

should be able to explain why we came there.

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie. I agree with that. I think - and maybe what we can do here

since we have time is backtrack.

I'm just going to - I'm going to bring up the chart of the, you know, the

GNSO council and the constituencies and stakeholder groups because

I wanted to go ahead and do a count of what we would have on the

Steering Committee.

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Julie Hedlund:

And then maybe we could talk through just, you know, sort of some ideas. You know, we talked a little bit in the document about representation from the different continents, you know, regions.

Maybe we could sort of add up, you know, and that we want some, you know, some from academia and universities -- that sort of thing.

So maybe we can kind of add up, you know, some of these things and see what kind of number yes.

Roy Dykes:

I think that's a good idea. Also do we have any historical examples from other ICANN task force not - and I know that their purpose - their purposes would have been different. But it's still I guess a data point to look at to see effectiveness and maybe how large those groups were.

Julie Hedlund:

This is Julie. I'm not sure that we have anything quite like this. So I mean nothing really quite this broad I don't think.

Debbie, Carlos, please chime in but I'm trying to think of the different groups that I know.

The difference with this one as opposed to other GNSO groups is that they typically been restricted to, you know, people within our it - within the GNSO community and haven't been so broad as to include, you know, representatives of other organizations are, you know, academia or what have you. But that I could be wrong about that.

Debra Hughes: Hi. This is Debbie. And I'm sitting here racking my brains trying to think of another group whose I guess mandates or charges. So it's policy

Page 13

driven yes but, you know, there's no immediate deadline I guess is

what I'm saying.

You know, I'm just trying to think through like really I mean I know

we've set, you know, parameters and we don't want the work to just

wear on and we don't want the group to exist, you know, without end

without goals in sight.

But I'm just sitting here wondering, you know, to get the various tasks

done that you're laying out here how many people will you need?

I mean certainly you are going to need I think a critical mass to be able

to execute or at least facilitate coordinating, you know, the different

programming that's going on.

But I can't think of another group that doing work like this, not outreach

work but just work that I guess isn't - I don't want to say it isn't urgent

but do - are you following what I'm saying Carlos and Roy?

It's like there's no pending. You know, a lot of the workgroups have a

mandate that are linked higher, you know, to something else that's

going on so the urgency is there.

And then you've got people who are engaged. I'm just wondering how

difficult it might be to get the work done if you have a smaller group?

Roy Dykes:

Sure. Sure I guess it's a balance between inefficiency for - because of

size...

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Roy Dykes:

...of too much size and then just being able to get the work done with being too small.

Debra Hughes: Yes Julie were you able to figure out like how many people we already have on that - the steering committee?

Julie Hedlund:

Right so this is Julie. And so just looking at the Steering Committee so we have, you know, if we have one representative from each of the stakeholder group constituencies so there'd be one from the registry stakeholder group, one from the registrar stakeholder group.

From the commercial stakeholder group we'd have one from commercial and business users, intellectual property interests, and Internet service and connection providers.

And then noncommercial we'd have one from noncommercial users and one for not-for-profit.

So that's one, two, three, four, five, six, seven. And then we talked about having a staff liaison and maybe like the global partnerships and then the technical liaison group. So let's see, I'm looking at ten I think I heard myself say?

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Julie Hedlund:

When you add those up it's seven and then a staff liaison maybe global partnerships and technical liaison group. So we could say ten.

And then I think we say and just looking back at the charter when we talked about per region best efforts to encourage and recruit potential OTF members from each ICANN region is a goal, you know, to have members from each region so we're not being specific there.

Debra Hughes: I mean even if you say - I'm sorry this is Julie again...

Julie Hedlund: (Unintelligible).

Debra Hughes: This is Debbie Julie. Even if you said one for each region that's five

right? So already we're at 12.

Julie Hedlund: Well if we had ten in the Steering Committee and then one for each

region so five.

Debra Hughes: So you said ten - so I'm sorry ten on the - okay I'm...

Julie Hedlund: Yes ten on the Steering Committee...

Debra Hughes: So were at 15?

Julie Hedlund: So that would bring us up to 15. And then let's say if we had see - oh

it's kind of hard to build this I guess without saying exactly which

organizations we want to target, you know, as far as academia or other

organizations, you know, who are we reaching out to to recruit?

Well we're basically sending out kind of a blast recruiting message to

basically everybody we want to reach.

So I mean we could get a all, you know, I mean a variety of responses or none at all. I mean it's...

Debra Hughes: Right.

Carlos Aguirre: Sorry Julie, Carlos here.

Julie Hedlund: Yes please go ahead Carlos.

Carlos Aguirre: In relation with your words previous I think to recruit people or every

constituency in different regions is you needed before to constitute the

OTF make some previous outreach of the OTF.

I don't know if you understand it's needed - a previous outreach before

to constitute the OTF in order to - in order the people in different

regions for different constituencies know what's talking about.

Understand?

Julie Hedlund: So Carlos this is Julie. So are you saying that we should look at - look

to the various constituencies and stakeholder groups and the outreach

they've already to help us determine where to reach out?

Carlos Aguirre: Yes in - I think some constituencies are very involved in the GNSO

activities. But others and in some regions for example, academia or

civil society, it's not completely involved in these issues.

So we need to make or do some outreach previous to get people to

recruit some people I think.

Julie Hedlund: So this is Julie. So really we need to do outreach in order to recruit?

Carlos Aguirre: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie. That seems a good point. Debbie did...

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: ...and Roy do you have thoughts on that?

representation.

Debra Hughes: This is Debbie. I mean I think, you know, once the charter is approved and if they agree that the Steering Committee should, you know, consist of the representative, the ten or so representatives that we selected perhaps maybe one of the things we talk about - and I thought we maybe even mentioned that the Steering Committee should, you know, do things to encourage, you know, broad, you know,

Maybe one of things we say is that the Steering Committee should be thinking about, you know, specific things or looking for -- I don't know to recruit members. I think we have it in the charter Julie somewhere. I'm not sure.

Julie Hedlund: Yes this is Julie. I think we do say that the Steering Committee does the recruiting. Well we don't actually say that they dot it but we sort of do because we - but I think we need to be more specific. I think you're right.

And under the deliverables and time frames we say -- this is in the middle of Page 3 -- establish Steering Committee with representatives from stakeholder groups and constituencies, recruit members of the

OTF from a broad and diverse group of members including experienced participants from ICANN and GNSO stakeholder groups and constituencies and others interested in ICANN activities.

And it doesn't actually say, you know, it doesn't make the point that it's implied but it's not clear. I don't think that the steering committee is doing the recruiting.

And since the Steering Committee is made up of the stakeholder groups and constituencies then maybe what we need to do is be more specific that the stakeholder group and constituencies need to go back, you know, to their groups to, you know, to develop the targets for the outreach for recruitment.

Debra Hughes: This is Debbie. I mean I think I agree. I think we could probably tweak both one and two by adding and one - the point that you just mentioned Julie about the constituencies would, you know, bring recommendations or encourage people to join.

> And then I think two we might want to consider tweaking to say that the Steering Committee will coordinate the recruitment of members or something like that.

Julie Hedlund:

Right. And I'm seeing that Carlos has typed in the - and so we have this on the record here in the transcript as well in the Chat room.

He says before they get their engage - you know, engagement it's needed that the participants can participate. So they need to know about the OTF.

He says I think all of this is a process where we have many steps to do in order to have success in our work.

So that the recruitment is, you know, we've got steps in the process. And I think it's a good point that in a way part of the recruitment process is to let people know about, you know, people don't know about the OTF.

I mean it's a little bit sort of a sales pitch really to say well this is what we're doing and this is why we were looking for people to be involved.

So and I know we talk about the announcement and, you know, sort of the recruitment. But we might want to add a little something to be a little bit more prescriptive.

Again Carlos in the Chat Room says the steps in my opinion are outreach, knowledge, participation, and finally engagement.

Yes in the formation Page 5 it says the GNSO secretary shall circulate a call for volunteers for the OTF as widely as possible in order to ensure broad participation - broad representation and participation in the OTF.

And it gives some details as far as how this would be distributed. And it does talk about what the call for participation should include. And there's some details there.

And Carlos has also noted in the Chat room it should be inclusive in order to constitute the Outreach Task Force to have a focus on inclusiveness.

Debra Hughes: So this is Debbie. It sounds like maybe we want to tweak a couple of

these sections so that we can be a little bit more specific about the

nature of the effort of recruiting members to the task force before we

even start talking about outreach, right?

And maybe trying to figure out ways to give them, you know, these

concepts like the concepts that Carlos is mentioning as guide points or

guideposts for reaching out to members and their constituencies and

stakeholder groups.

Julie Hedlund: Roy what do you think?

Roy Dykes: I agree I've been following.

Julie Hedlund: What I had set in the time frame for recruitment and we could look at

this too, we've got, you know, that if we assumed that the Steering

Committee was constituted by the end of September we've got two

months for recruitment.

We could talk about whether or not we feel that that's enough time. I've

noted that Carlos has got another note in the Chat room.

He says because I feel that there are some people around the world

like academia and civil society that haven't enough - haven't had

enough knowledge to know what we are talking about when we talk

about the OTF.

So again it's when we talk about recruitment I mean I think that if we

can be more specific about, you know, perhaps we need to put more

Page 21

time into recruitment because in a way that's the, you know, the people

that you get in the OTF, you know, to a certain extent you have to sort

of inform them about what this effort is going to be in order to get, you

know, to get the right people in the group.

And so Carlos says for that reason I think it needed some previous

outreach as far as what is the OTF in order to recruit more members.

Debra Hughes: This is Debbie. I think those are great points because, you know,

without having the right team a lot of this work, you know, won't be as

productive.

So maybe something else that we ask the Steering Committee to do is

to come up with, you know, some sticking points or whatever. I'm going

back to that section we we're talking about editing about the

deliverable timeframe that, you know, we said perhaps consider adding

that the Steering Committee shall - go down a little bit Julie.

Julie Hedlund: Let's see oh there it is.

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: Oh yes we've got the role in two different places. So I think...

Debra Hughes: We do, we do.

Julie Hedlund: ...we need to it - and it's also in deliverables which is actually a little bit

further up here. Let me go to were that is. It's...

Debra Hughes: Maybe that's where I saw it the first...

Julie Hedlund: It's - yes, yes.

Debra Hughes: That's where we were looking the first time.

Julie Hedlund: It's right here yes on Page 3.

Debra Hughes: So, you know, maybe when we talk about the recruitment of members

that before they are able to recruit members maybe they should create, you know, a one page info or speaking points document or something that could be given to constituencies and then, you know, distributed

broadly to the community about what it is the OTF is?

Because I think what Carlos is saying is important especially for the parts of the community that may not be really engaged in the work of

the OSC.

So I'm wondering do we add that level of detail in the deliverables or do we talk about - where was that previous section you just were Julie?

Do we just need to...

Julie Hedlund: Well we can put it in two places. I think we could change one and two

in the deliverables. And this is Julie speaking.

Debra Hughes: Yes okay.

Julie Hedlund: To be more specific since this is a deliverable, I mean and it's one of

the key first deliverables.

Debra Hughes: Right.

Julie Hedlund: And then in the formation we could include that sort of that same

language.

Debra Hughes: Oh look at that. We've got distribution of announcement to GNSO

stakeholder group's constituencies. Maybe what we need to do as part

of their deliverable is that the Steering Committee will create an

announcement?

Julie Hedlund: Right, right I think we need to be more specific that the Steering

Committee will do the announcement, will create the announcement as

a, you know, as a - well sort of a promotional piece.

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: So I can put some language around that. And I think it needs to be

both in the deliverables and also in (unintelligible).

And then yes and Carlos also makes a good point and...

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: ...this charter needs to be translated in other languages. And this - and

that's a good point too is that this promotional piece should be

translated as well.

Debra Hughes: Yes I agree.

Julie Hedlund: You know, I think we're going to probably need a little bit more time in

this recruitment process just because well I've got down two months

but we might need more like three because...

Debra Hughes: Yes.

Julie Hedlund: ...we'll need to add in a little bit of time to allow time for translation as

well which takes a little bit of time.

Debra Hughes: Hi Julie. This is Debbie. I'm also thinking that, you know, to the extent

that we're able to get the charter approved before Dakar and there's,

you know, an opportunity for, you know, some sort of session or talking

about this at that meeting then you might want to allow some time

after, you know, some more additional time after that ICANN meeting

for the word to get out, right?

So you could use...

Julie Hedlund: Oh that's a really good point. Let me look...

Debra Hughes: Right.

Julie Hedlund: ...back at that timetable. This is Julie.

Debra Hughes: So maybe we need to factor that in when we're talking about

recruitment using really that meeting as a really big push for it and then

allowing a couple months after that and then kind of wrapping up the

recruitment portion.

Roy Dykes:

This is Roy. The other thing to consider is if you're talking about and sort of a couple months or more after that it starts to get into December and the holiday season.

And so I don't wonder if it's okay to stretch the recruitment period until the end of January especially and the January people come back kind of New Year fresh and ready to engage in different activities.

Debra Hughes: No you're right.

Julie Hedlund: I'm thinking - this is Julie. I think we need more time. I should note that

Carlos chimed in that he had agreed with what we've been saying. And

also he said good point Debbie. So...

Debra Hughes: Okay great.

Julie Hedlund: ...for the record. But that's a good point too Roy. I'm going to rejigger

the timetable a little bit.

I do think that given the focus of this effort and trying to get particularly, you know, developing countries and other, you know, non-English speakers involved that Senegal seems to be, you know, sort of a glaringly perfect opportunity to try to, you know, push for recruitment.

And this is good timing too because I need to - one of the things that we should do and get on the schedule is a public session, you know, some time, like an hour or so in the schedule in Dakar to do presentations, you know, on this all outreach effort and recruitment and, you know, and, you know, use that as an opportunity to get the

message out to the participants there and to, you know, to do some recruiting.

Yes Carlos says yes Julie our target is that, the developing countries and non-English speakers.

Debra Hughes: I love that idea.

Julie Hedlund: So actually maybe what I'll do is I'll build in a specific deliverable that

speaks to having a recruiting session in Dakar.

And then that session should also have - it should be a session that has, you know, what do I want to say?

It should be, you know, have live translation. And that's not what I mean to say but, you know, where, you know, we'll have, you know,

people will be able to wear the devices and be able...

Debra Hughes: Yes, yes.

Julie Hedlund: ...to the session in all of their different languages.

Debra Hughes: And Carlos says there are huge ideas that we can never hear because people have no possibility to make their voices heard in these places.

So okay let me then - I'm hearing several changes here. So we're going to put in some more specifics about recruiting.

We'll expand - well and maybe adjust in particular the timeframe and the deliverables to focus on a specific deliverable in Dakar that would be part of the recruitment process.

So in a session in Dakar and follow - and then continue the recruiting through the end of the year and into early, you know, into January because of the holiday. Is that what you were suggesting Roy?

Roy Dykes: Yes. Yes if we feel like the time ran a little we'll accept it. And I think it's

important enough to strongly consider that.

Julie Hedlund: I agree.

Roy Dykes: I - it's been my experience - I don't know what the ICANN world is like

because this is my first sort of upcoming December with any kind of involvement with ICANN. But a lot of the business world business in

the States kind of slows down in December.

Julie Hedlund: This is Julie. I can tell you that particularly from the European - well the

non-US side things slow down immensely over the holidays. And so yes it's best to try to avoid making any kinds of decisions, you know, in

that timeframe.

Roy Dykes: Okay.

Debra Hughes: So...

Julie Hedlund: So, you know, I should mention that Carlos has another item in the

Chat room. That's the idea of previous outreach or like Debbie said

some presentation of the OTF and the Dakar meeting.

Debra Hughes: Yes so Julie this is Debbie. What's the process for getting - is that

something that this group needs to request or is that something you

can help?

Julie Hedlund: Oh I'll just take care of it. Here's...

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Julie Hedlund:

...the way it works for getting these kinds of meetings in Dakar is we'll actually be - staff actually, ICANN staff will be getting a - an online form that we'll be completing for any meetings that we want to have whether they're public or private, any meetings that require any meetings or, you know, teleconferencing facilities or anything in Dakar.

We'll be getting a form that we need to fill out for each of these things. And a suggestion for, you know, when we might want to have it be scheduled.

There were two things related to this group that I was going to request. And one which I'll coordinate with Glen is time for this group to meet over the weekend probably on Sunday.

I mean not this Drafting Team but the Steering Committee I should say of the OTF. Because usually GNSO constituted groups tend to have their meetings if they're works teams or whatever they tend to have their meetings on the weekend in what's called the GNSO council working session times. And Glen usually helps to set aside a room and some time for that.

So I put in a request for that. But then I'll also put in a request for I would say an hour long session that would be a public session, you know, in Dakar that, you know, and basically what I would have to provide at this point is just sort of the skeleton of information meaning that, you know, what's the topic, you know, what's the purpose, what kinds of things do we need?

Of course we'd need, you know, I - we'd probably want to have it Web streamed. We want to have, you know, live, you know, transcript - well probably want to have, you know, have it be translated into at least a couple different languages, particularly French of course for Senegal.

And then, you know, we put in that request and we, you know, sometimes we don't always get the place that we want on the calendar because the meeting space is very limited I know in particular for this conference. But, you know, we get, you know, placed somewhere during the week.

We usually we try to avoid scheduling against any of the big public things. So you don't schedule against the President's address on the first thing on Monday morning.

And you don't, you know, schedule against things like that GNSO Council Meeting on Wednesday afternoon, or the public form which usually occurs on Thursday afternoon.

But, you know, there's still some other times we can pick from. So I'll take care of that's sort of a long winded answer to yes I'll take the action item to do that.

Debra Hughes: Oh that's great. Thank you.

Julie Hedlund: It's okay. I have about probably ten or 15 meetings I'm planning for

Dakar.

Debra Hughes: Okay.

Julie Hedlund: Just add it to my list.

Debra Hughes: Thanks.

Julie Hedlund: Sure. No problem.

Debra Hughes: Okay so I'm going to actually have to run. They're calling a status

meeting real quick for the weather that's happening on the East Coast

SO...

Julie Hedlund: Oh yes gosh, oh my goodness you have a lot of work to do for that

oh...

Debra Hughes: Yes. So I've got to run but I just didn't want - are there any other things

that we really need to discuss here is a group or do we think...

Julie Hedlund: I think Carlos also says he needs to leave.

Debra Hughes: Okay. So...

Roy Dykes: This is Roy. I don't have anything else myself.

Debra Hughes: Okay. So do you think we should try to communicate...

Julie Hedlund: How about - this is Julie. Why don't I take the action item to make

these changes? Do we want to schedule a call for next Friday sort of a

final wrap up?

Debra Hughes: Sure.

Julie Hedlund: Why don't I do that Let me request it and put it on the schedule. If we

decide for some reason we don't think we need it but I might be good

to just have a final discussion.

Debra Hughes: Yes. I agree.

Julie Hedlund: So let me go ahead and do that. Let me make these changes, send

them around to all of you. I'll schedule the call and if we can, you know,

if we can wrap up next Friday then, you know, we can get it off to the

council and see where it goes then.

Debra Hughes: Great. Thanks everybody.

Roy Dykes: Okay.

Debra Hughes: Thank you everyone.

Carlos Aguirre: Thanks.

Julie Hedlund: Bye-bye.

Debra Hughes: Bye-bye.

Carlos Aguirre: Bye.

END