ICANN

Transcription ICANN Copenhagen GNSO NCUC Excom & Task Force on Procedural Rules Meeting Sunday, 12 March 2017 at 8:30 CET

Note: Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

The recording and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: All right, good morning, everybody or afternoon, good evening.

This is the NCUC Task Force on Procedural Rules. We're going to be discussing the procedural rules and sort of getting things finished as soon as possible so I'm going to scroll down and we're going to move to look at the meeting agenda for today.

So the meeting agenda, it's a 60-minute meeting, we started late already so I'm going to make the timeline changes three minutes instead of 10. We're going to go over a list of tasks with the EC just the general tasks that we are going to be looking at within the group. We're going to be working on project priority procedures and then the next meeting and any other business will be the last five minutes.

Confirmation # 3134907

Today is specifically a working meeting. My plan is to have us develop and

draft text so not just talk about it, I want to sort of, you know, I want to hear

typing so that's the goal for today.

So the first thing is looking at the timeline, all right, so this view of the timeline

that I presented at the very beginning of this, it's been hard getting things

going but I think because we have the priority tasks pretty well underway that

the rest are pretty low-key stuff like frequent how we're going to be sending e-

mails so those are easy and I hopefully those will be done by the end of the

week.

So this is the new timeline, can everyone see this okay on their screens, so

here we are, we had a pre-ICANN meeting last Tuesday where we discussed

priority procedures and we came-up with three priority procedures which I'll

go over next. Here we are now.

I've extended it until the week of April 2nd. I don't want to go that long but

this is sort of a way to break it down in case we have to go that long. My plan

is to have this done by April 2nd but this is just sort of I wanted to open the

floor for a quick discussion about dates and setting firm dates for getting this

done and having the comment period finished so my idea would be to have a

draft sent out to the list for comments by the end of this meeting in

Copenhagen.

Then the week of March 19th we would have comments and then the week of

March 26th we would then have another round of comments and then by

April 2nd we would be done. How does everyone feel about this any

questions, comments, concerns?

Tapani Tarvainen: I see that by the week by the Sunday I'm not sure which week is your first

because the Sunday is the first to the last day of the week?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro :

Oh no, these are Mondays.

Tapani Tarvainen: Mondays?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro : I'm pretty sure these are Mondays. Did I mess up?

Tapani Tarvainen: I remember them last, oh yes, (unintelligible) in a month, right.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro : Okay, yes, these are Mondays.

((Crosstalk))

Tapani Tarvainen: But March 19th is a Sunday anyway but ...

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay. I apologize. Okay.

Tapani Tarvainen: March 26th is also a Sunday.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay, so then we're doing Sundays, thank you (Tawnie).

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: No, this is good.

Tapani Tarvainen: At the beginning of the week or end of the week is okay.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro : So, it's the beginning for me.

Tapani Tarvainen: Okay, or at the end of the week so ...

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro : It's the end of the week, okay.

Tapani Tarvainen: That's by Monday ...

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro : Ah this is good to know, all right, so I will make a note of that to

Monday, start of the week, all right, listen to you guys, except for researchers

and Ph.D students there is no day of rest, unfortunately for us. All right, so

moving on, these are the three party procedures that we came up with that

were discussed in the pre-ICANN 58 meeting.

Development voting and voting on policy statements and public comments,

appointment and voting, sort of general appointments and voting procedures

and then trip funding selection. I have put in the chat, no, put in the chat

again a link to the working space for these three priority procedures.

And I think what my plan would be is to start working on these right now and

then if we have any time left at the end we can then work on others that are

on the original document. Does that work for everybody? Hearing nothing,

I'm going to proceed.

Okay, all right, so we're going to start out with development and voting on

policy statements and public comments so taking Rafik's great suggestion

I've sort of reformatted them and then put them into a 41-day period. This is

for public comment specifically so I'm just going to go through these and

highlight some issues that I've had.

The first is developing a timeline and where we're going to put that timeline. I

know we have a (trolo) board but I also think that periodic e-mails through a

mail sort of client such as Boomerang would be helpful. Hey, perfect timing.

((Crosstalk))

Moderator: Nathalie Peregrine 3-12-2017/8:00 am CT

Confirmation # 3134907

Page 5

Renata Aquino Ribeiro : We are just talking about development on voting on policy statements right now.

Tapani Tarvainen: Okay. I can't extend, sorry for delay.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: So my one big issue that I would really like to discuss, is there a way to put a screen - a Google doc - on the shared screen up here or no?

Possibly if not it's okay.

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay.

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay, so we're just going to go with sharing the screen together.

All right, so my one question is how to develop a process at the end if there is for minority statements, inclusion of minority statements within public comments. Rafik now that you're here I took a lot from that e-mail that you had sent out for NCSG and I sort of I repurposed that and then added a few things but would you care to maybe talk about how to do include or (unintelligible) about including (Margarita)'s statements on the on public comments specifically?

Rafik Dammak:

So this is Rafik speaking. Usually we what we try to do because most (unintelligible) public, I mean, the state and the public comments (unintelligible) and the experience there is we try to reach all of those comment and (first place).

So we didn't really have that much minority (unintelligible) if only case I can recall it was with (unintelligible) because there was kind of some disagreement and we thought that at the time it was maybe more (efficious) to in the area some area to show what maybe using the usual expressions.

Moderator: Nathalie Peregrine 3-12-2017/8:00 am CT

Confirmation # 3134907

Page 6

Some people think and other think just to show that someday versus your

point of view but I don't recall we kind of this specific minority view that kind of

(unintelligible) that you can find it maybe (Jenna) sort of in some working

groups because they define the level of concerns us and in one there is no

like I forget the (minutes) clearly there is not so much consensus.

You can have that minority point of view, it's formal I think but what we can do

I guess now process just to write this to do basically for to solve any concern

or comment but at that point is really to find a common ground where people

can agree on and after in the case if we don't have a consensus agree or (is

real) disagreement or there are too many issues to say let's agree on at least

we have us common denominator and then just to kind of least maybe where

they are not as a minority but to sure that it is like (restive point).

So like the people maybe think it's different solution or a combination and so

on but that's just to show that there is some diversity maybe we can use that

wording instead of because minority just kind of because usually what

happens even in (Jenna)'s working group, it will really read the minority

reports. Usually they read the report itself and unless it brought forth the

discussion by some folks.

Anna Loup:

This is Anna Loupfor the record. I completely agree I know when these are

being read, you know, sort of sometimes it gets shifted to the side so that's

perfect. I think using language to show would be great but trying to evolve

the comments in the first place so I'll definitely include that in the upcoming

draft. I just ...

Rafik Dammak:

So you made the change to the document itself because we have ...

((Crosstalk))

Anna Loup:

Yes.

Rafik Dammak: Right, just about that process, I just describe it sometime ago and it was

really the purpose is to think of the issue and how we cover public ...

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak: ... public comment and to be sure that we cover them so that's what the main

purpose. About the draft thing itself and how we fix the issues we can

elaborate, you know.

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Tatiana and Matt have just joined us in the room and all right, so what we're discussing right now is we're looking at the priority procedures.

We're talking right now about the development in voting on policy statements and public comments, we have public comment because I'm not as familiar with policy statements so I was what I was able to draft with public comments

is a bit more in-depth but for policy statements.

We discussed this before so I've used the sample text the primary e-mail but I've also tried to make it a little bit more. Okay, so does anyone who's participating remotely have maybe (unintelligible) specifically? Do you have anything? Okay, oh, there we go.

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes, okay. Yes, so that is actually something that is in and this is something to be discussed. (Unintelligible) would take the lead when it comes to the public comments and the drafting process, sending-out e-mails, who's going to take the lead? Will that be the policy committee or will that be somebody on the EC? (Unintelligible) if you think that that would be something that ...

Moderator: Nathalie Peregrine 3-12-2017/8:00 am CT

Confirmation # 3134907

Page 8

Rafik Dammak:

We don't have the EC yet at NCUC so this will be enacted if you're

commenting, right.

Renata Aguino Ribeiro:

Okay.

Rafik Dammak:

But I think we can just maybe add to end of this as an interim solution that

can be managed by EC (unintelligible) adoption.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro:

Excellent, okay. All right. Okay, this has all the (alternatives)

okay, excellent, yes, so moving on I think I'm going to move on to actually trip funding selection because this is something that I think we can get through pretty quickly and so I just want to bring everyone's attention down to Point C

if it's possible to move it down to Point C?

Okay, so this is using the current wording the NCUC's travel report policy process and I have the link on the page as well so you can refer. In this case we're only looking at the procedure of selection, right, so we're not looking at

the types of funding if this is just the selection process, okay?

The first I've been thinking about moving it to extending it to three months or more just because we've had Visa issues recently and I think this is something we should consider. I don't know if three months is enough. I'd

be interested to hear your opinion on timing.

Tapani Tarvainen: For?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro :

For when we have for the travel trip and ...

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro :

... okay, it's three, okay, so just I'm trying to gauge what would be

a good amount of time to set as a general ...

Tatiana Tropina: I would (hazard) a suggestion that it's not about the time for Visas, it's about the time for budgets also so even it would be ideal to have a formal announcement to get a Visa, you may not know that there will be a (trempening) process for most (unintelligible) so perhaps an announcement ideally would be with at least four months (unintelligible) that can be done ...

((Crosstalk))

Tapani Tarvainen: ... always only going to be one night and likely that it's, I mean, it's not often that it's ...

((Crosstalk))

Tapani Tarvainen: About the ...

Tatiana Tropina: I didn't hear you.

Tapani Tarvainen: ... I wouldn't assume it's going to be one night of extra (budging) in on minutes and usually it's more than one but it just happened.

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak:

I think 4-3 list we know that ICANN routine manage coming and (beyond one) to covering that I (surprise) oh, Rafik's speaking so we don't have like oh, how can (unintelligible)? ICANN really coming we know like (unintelligible) so we can start earlier.

The only I guess the (unintelligible) but so yes, we can make it early but the most given (30) like if for saying for (unintelligible) before the example (unintelligible) what has worked to by (unintelligible) so we know it's coming so we can (unintelligible).

Tatiana Tropina: So we would have wanted to have (unintelligible) before Copenhagen?

Confirmation # 3134907

Rafik Dammak: But like because we (unintelligible) and ICANN (unintelligible) I don't know like you know it's coming so this is like three month you tend to forget.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes, I like the fit, yes, okay, perfect, so I will add that language as well, okay. All right, moving on just check (unintelligible) shot again, okay, all right, moving on, we're going to be looking at the addressing the eligibility criteria so my ...

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: ... the eligibility requirements, those are on the linked page.

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro : I'm just fixing language right now within what we currently have because it's currently pretty vague ...

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: ...I'm going to try and make sure that we have a very specific (process) for what has become a very complicated occasionally not very successful process. All right, so my question is using a preset form, should we use a preset form along with the attachment of a CV or a resume. We're not a I know you've worked a lot with forms before.

How has that worked for you? Would you suggest using this or should we just keep both the current method of having people just e-mail ...

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro : ... this is the application to address each of the eligibilities so it's the next comment down and it's Part C.

Page 11

Moderator: Nathalie Peregrine 3-12-2017/8:00 am CT

Confirmation # 3134907

Tatiana Tropina: Yes (unintelligible) also for the (buffer procedure) of e-mail is for the chair to attach resumes and the e-mails received and forward them to the EC. I think on the open spreadsheet be more efficient and also could be easier to track the comments made by EC members related to an application.

> But also then perhaps yes, but that would be a level of detail like on the form but put a link to your CV somewhere, their CV on a Google doc and (unintelligible).

Anybody else have any suggestions as to how being done Renata Aquino Ribeiro: (unintelligible)? Okay, all right, moving to the next I know David you just brought this up in talking about the on-demand reports we tend to use (prior to) the meeting?

David Cake: Yes.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: And you said so to go back to your comment, do you think it's one

night?

David Cake: I've known situations where it could have been more (unintelligible) and it's

unlikely that ...

Renata Aquino Ribeiro : Okay, so it's sort of a case-by-case basis?

David Cake: ... yes.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: All right.

Tapani Tarvainen: I mean, realistically we're not going to be giving people additional earning if they're not attending an ICANN event and I've seen it at points where there was you know, (transfer day on either end) ...

((Crosstalk))
--------------	---

Tapani Tarvainen: ... you're in this room for the day today, are you? There's another group of people who all think we've got this room today.

Tatiana Tropina: I'm not (sure) ...

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro : Yes, we only have 30 more minutes in this room.

Tapani Tarvainen: Right, well we were expecting to be here from 9:00, oh.

((Crosstalk))

Tapani Tarvainen: It's in the agenda, it's in your agenda.

Tapani Tarvainen: Okay, all right, sorry to interrupt.

Tapani Tarvainen: Even as that's probably better than nothing ...

((Crosstalk))

Tapani Tarvainen: Critical resources, I think those are the critical resources in ICANN.

Tapani Tarvainen: Anything space is critical (recent).

Tapani Tarvainen: Very tight cycles ...

Tapani Tarvainen: That was polite for saying I was wrong.

((Crosstalk))

Moderator: Nathalie Peregrine 3-12-2017/8:00 am CT

Confirmation # 3134907

Page 13

Tapani Tarvainen: Yes, so I think I try to be more discussion we have is for a while (seems to

be) the first time to travel (unintelligible) coming so there was a question they

should be (center it or coaching) ...

((Crosstalk))

Tapani Tarvainen: ... they got all the information but they don't necessarily have time for those

who have experience just they are asking for support to I guess if we can

maybe this some task in the policy what are expected or just the report or

what they're expecting maybe we can use them to take notes (with means)

those kind of just to (unintelligible) some guidance what can be expected.

((Crosstalk))

Tapani Tarvainen: Sorry, (unintelligible) this is for ...

((Crosstalk))

Tapani Tarvainen: ... this is for those who have experience and I'm not (sort of funding) for

those who are involved (unintelligible) or we differentiate between ...

(Rashid):

Is because, okay, (Rashid) speaking, I think that only to say that

(unintelligible) are important to have a good reason to (unintelligible) and it's

easy some more like it (unintelligible) meetings, I'm not expecting them to be

coached (unintelligible) to expect him to do some work.

So maybe we can create different tasks that match the different profile that

we are covering. I mean, there is no (unintelligible) if just we can make a

meet that we see when they (induce selection) they say anything that

(unintelligible).

Tatiana Tropina: (Ashan), just a minute, speaking to the record, (Rashid) don't you think it

would be just covered by the requirement for NCUC to establish a clear

Confirmation # 3134907

(unintelligible) so we would just have to cover it (unintelligible) which require the EC to outline all the connection requirements with each (call) because maybe for some of the travels or not even ICANN-related like we sponsored some of for rights conference for example.

It would be different requirements, you cannot really outline everything that could possibly be bad as we said and I think (unintelligible) on each call they (unintelligible) these ICANN or any other related to them.

Tapani Tarvainen: I was really talking about ICANN meetings because that's what we for other even in term of timing everything (it's a part) but I guess what I understand from the EC what they wanted in particular for them to maybe we can have a template or something that you can reuse because trying to figure-out some in the text for every time or two is a cost, it's not the (better use of photam).

And maybe you have a template and then she can adjust it into (unintelligible)

Tatiana Tropina: Sorry, Tatiana Tropina for the record, I think that if we go to that (read) it would be also dependent on the type of the meeting because we don't I mean, the policy meeting that would be general for all but would be different from AGM and so on.

> I'm just wondering how specifically, I mean, I understand what you are proposing and I will support it but I'm just thinking of the balance between, you know, between the very detailed requirements and just asking EC to just create the requirements in each core.

We can of course briefly say that all those who experience for the new commerce group, there might be an older version that might be different situations, I don't know.

Moderator: Nathalie Peregrine 3-12-2017/8:00 am CT

Confirmation # 3134907

Page 15

Rafik Dammak:

Okay, so Rafik speaking, just I don't want to. I think the whole about the

procedure we don't need to be that prescriptive.

Tatiana Tropina: Yes.

Rafik Dammak:

What I said for example make a list of possible but (unintelligible) you have to

put off just so you can be to give you guidance on (unintelligible) ...

Tatiana Tropina: Yes, to give the guidance.

Rafik Dammak:

... so, I mean, that's the point. I mean, you cannot I don't think we will have (to see the bit) describe everything (all the caters) but recreating some

practices that help you (unintelligible).

If you have a template, you just adjust the text, you'll be done or you don't

need to create it from scratch as you want so that's the point, just not be

(protective). If we can describe several elements that you need to think about

Tatiana Tropina: Okay.

Rafik Dammak:

... think you work with it so yes, (before) you can change the requirements

and so on ...

Tatiana Tropina: Well, for me it was rather procedural for me would rather turned out to be a

(unintelligible) what happened before like (obliging) each team to (save their

time to screener) obliging the team to issue the core this obliging the EC to

take the decision with them, you know, (unintelligible) to say EC how we're

who is going to see next.

Tapani Tarvainen: So at issues, I guess from my perspective what I would like to see is

prioritization, in other words can we - we should always - ensure that we get

the people who are doing the work to the meetings and that should be the

prioritization so if we can end this template if we can have some measurement of sort of (unintelligible) those persons are doing and the

whatever it might be, I think that would help immensely and that should be the driver of these kinds of (unintelligible). Next.

importance of that work and being involved in those PDPs, workstreams or

((Crosstalk))

Tapani Tarvainen: The prioritization ...

((Crosstalk))

Tatiana Tropina: I saw that he was talking about passengers, passengers (unintelligible) if and

when, you know, for me prioritization goes ...

((Crosstalk))

Tapani Tarvainen: Template.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro : Okay.

Tatiana Tropina: ... at least two more areas ...

Renata Aquino Ribeiro : No, that's fine.

((Crosstalk))

Anna Loup: All right, so this is Anna Loup for the record. We're going to move on to the

ICANN the related meetings so not just specific ICANN-related meetings and travel funding and so again we're going to look at so in the (partner text) it says before the relevant meeting. That I think needs to change because a lot

of proposals, you know, for EFS, IGF, they happen way in advance.

So this is a key space that I think we really need to revise. There are a lot more people in the room who are more familiar with these deadlines than I am so I would be I'm more on the sort of academic side so I know those but when it, you know, comes to sort of IGF, EFS related, (rights upon), etcetera, what is a good timeline? What would you see as a good timeline, obviously not two weeks before so yes, I open for that.

Christina Rodriguez: Yes, Christina for the record, unfortunately (unintelligible) sometimes when they have trouble finding for example from ICANN all those stakeholder engagements team, they usually look for someone from the region, you know, (unintelligible) sometimes it can be (unintelligible).

For some other things we just have no incidents of it so I see that there should be a closed (unintelligible) so like no later than (unintelligible) for it's just sometimes it is hard (unintelligible).

Matthew Shears: Okay, Matthew Shears, most of these meetings are known two or three months ahead of time. The West SG IGF, RightsCON, IFS so there's no reason why we shouldn't put in the same kind of timeline requirement as the risk to the ICANN meetings, I mean, obviously what'd I have to say, I'm meeting to meeting and framework to work in but there's no reason why you have to consider things that are two weeks ahead of time.

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak:

Okay, Rafik speaking. I didn't read (unintelligible) the policy but I think it's really about a meeting because maybe we there is kind of amount specified there, how much we can spend a year so the other meetings usually was kind of by ad hoc basis so someone think they should go to (asis) not even we go at like someone going to (someday that protection) event and so on.

So that's they make there was not really a call tomorrow like it's people felt that they should be there and then usually it was the whole point it was

Confirmation # 3134907

designed at ICANN meeting because just for maybe historical context before and so see (unintelligible) but in 2009 when (genesore) restructuring (unintelligible).

Also for particular for (genesore) because before the EC was supporting (genesore) counselor so when that was covered by ICANN, we had that you know, amount that available.

That's why we started to think how can locate that data to bring (in) and that's why it's really on ICANN (steep) because there is stability to count other events maybe but as also still (ended) because (unintelligible) see they have to be careful.

We don't have limited resources and you will need to be mindful about managing the expectation because I remember as chair I think many, you know, different requests that some people want (tighten) summer schools and some people but you have to explain to them even someone as like funding and nationalizing (unintelligible) so you have kind of to be careful about managing the expectations and also to (find out) what it's for to the purpose.

So I heard it was about ICANN meetings to bring more in addition to the supported by ICANN travel and see the trying in the case of the like these typical meetings cannot attend (have just thought) how you to allocate that (unintelligible) can create to proceed to the other side that so just that's my insight of all the caution, just need to (mind) expectation.

For any other events, maybe the EC can think to say like we can allocate that \$4000, \$12,000 (unintelligible) off those kind of event and make calls for suggestion as to one and see what people come and also we have the (crop) which is to cover a duration (on the air) so we can use all these the (same T) to cover and to (unintelligible) different resources so ...

Page 19

Anna Loup:

This is Anna Loup for the record, just to clarify, so you would suggest that we predefine the amount that we'd be willing to spend for this and then develop the procedures based on ...

Rafik Dammak:

I think the current policy has (statistics) so I ...

((Crosstalk))

Anna Loup:

Yes, there's this specific amounts in there, yes.

Rafik Dammak:

... because we have what we can (unintelligible) and we don't know. If it continues in the future so the idea is as before we have like the (unintelligible) like for three counselor or three ICANN meetings so cover them. We don't have that anymore because it's covered by ICANN so how we use that, (breaking like) and we said think \$4000 per ICANN meetings and every time we see how you (screet).

And you can (unintelligible) 2000-4000 for any other event so that's to say just to (be mindful), maybe it can be also in the project to think about funding if (unintelligible).

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Is there any other comments, questions, concerns about this section? If not I'm going to take the notes that I've put on this document and I'm going to include them and then I'll circulate this to you in text.

Hearing none, (unintelligible) to go up to Section B which is appointments and voting. Actually before I start now that we have everybody here when we started the meeting, not everyone was here so I didn't really want to go into too much detail but I really want to talk about timeline and moving forward.

Moderator: Nathalie Peregrine 3-12-2017/8:00 am CT

Confirmation # 3134907

Page 20

So as the EC we need to have this done or have a draft before the end of the

month and I think the three (pie) already are really important to have done.

There are a few extra procedures and these are ones that I have added such

as how we structure e-mails (unintelligible) and make them accessible and

searchable in inboxes but I think these are the most critical procedures.

So my hope is that we can have a draft comment period next week and then

a second period the week after. All right, so moving back to appointments

and voting, (Farzi) today had a comment about having alternates for NTCEC

PC actually PIRN but she said not sure if we can on Nom Com.

I am not as familiar with this so this section I'll turn it over to Rafik and talk

about it because you originally, you know, signed-up to be on this procedure

because I'm not as familiar with the processes so I'll sort of default to you.

((Crosstalk))

Tatiana Tropina: ... appointment appointed by the EC of NC ...

Rafik Dammak:

Yes, two NCHs so we have like two representatives and they (unintelligible)

policy committee one representative for financial (unintelligible).

Tatiana Tropina:

Right, but my question would be actually this appointment and both like as

NQCEC if possible to have an alternate for that position or is this something

that we will be definite defined by bylaws?

Rafik Dammak:

Yes, the position of defining it by the (unintelligible) charter say each

constituency has two representative and so on, okay, and the NCC just asked

us to (unintelligible).

Tatiana Tropina: Yes.

((Crosstalk))

Page 21

Tatiana Tropina: I'm asking if for the NCUC EC is it possible to have an answer to that or not?

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak: And this ...

Tatiana Tropina: For like for me as European representative to the (unintelligible) I do not think

because we are less representative.

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak: This was really more about this ...

((Crosstalk))

Tatiana Tropina: Okay, (unintelligible) I think that God forbid, you know, (unintelligible) and that

would be the next person appointed at the elections because we are not the counselors. We don't really have to be present at the meetings. What we have to do is to (appoint) people to develop procedures to make NCUC

functional so this is the purpose of EC.

And I think that having an alternate for them it should be decided in an election so how the elected representatives make can appoint (unintelligible)

. . .

Tapani Tarvainen: Yes, okay, so okay, no ...

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak: ... anytime soon, Rafik speaking, so let's maybe extend further context here.

We have every year several positions to fill by the NCUC, some of them was

NCHE. We have also the (nom comm). It's coming even from the ICANN

Confirmation # 3134907

bylaws. We have PAR for historical reason and (unintelligible) but we can

also have any position open in the future.

It can happen like somewhat in group or like this SCI and so with regard to

executive committee, there is I think and even in the current bylaws provision

on how to replace I'll say executive committee member. In the case for

example they don't attend for a while so there is already provision.

So the, I mean, okay, maybe you can think about the idea of alternate just in

case someone need to be replaced, you can have that but then you have to

just to come back to the existing, what's the bylaws, the (cantwan) and those

of the new one is saying just to figure-out what you should do.

The how to say I think depends of that - the term what we need replacement -

in fact was for the chair and it was at the time David become the interim chair

because Konstantinos and that he needed to resign because he was

employed by (izod) and we use the provision in the bylaws to appoint David

as interim chair.

It was in 2012, something like that so just we have the provision and all that

like I think for here just how you appoint to other structures, not within the

executive committee.

((Crosstalk))

Tatiana Tropina: But I just wonder if we shouldn't be spelled out for NCUC for elected for

voting propositions which are by election, alternates should be by elections

procedures only or something along those lines.

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak:

Look at the current bylaws of the NCUC basically states that if there's more

than six months left you have to organize an election or less than six months,

Page 23

the chair may appoint a replacement at a time for EC members so that's clearly there so ...

((Crosstalk))

Tapani Tarvainen: I mean ...

((Crosstalk))

Anna Loup: This is Anna Loup for the record. You can never speak too much when it is

your section.

Tatiana Tropina: That was actually a very good question from Renata (unintelligible) for the

record and it was a very good question from Renata I think that we should be

covered (in for) ...

Rafik Dammak: Yes, but to that point, Rafik speaking, I think it's really sometimes just need to

go to the bylaws to see what you can (cut) we see that we cannot like these

one ...

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak: ... different thing because I mean, it can be a solution but then we need to

agree and to explain that, right? This as was mentioned by (Tapang) we

have the process end user (as before).

Renata Aquino Ribeiro : Okay, so there have been some development in this section which

looks at calls for candidate template announcement, requirements for the statement of interest, general timeline, timeline for applications and selection sheets outlay obviously in the (clause) so I think going forward in order to write this out or spell it out, just have it in an outline form. Tatiana or Rafik, do you want to take charge of putting this bulleted list into sort of (uniform)?

Tatiana Tropina: Yes, yes, absolutely.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro :

Perfect, would you think we should leave in bulleted form? Yes.

((Crosstalk))

Tatiana Tropina: ... it would mean so much for us (unintelligible) this was just a strong way for us what we have to develop here and we (unintelligible) ...

Renata Aquino Ribeiro :

No, that's totally fine and then yes, moving forward, I would really appreciate really focusing as well on the policy statements section as well, they're going really great outlines that you had commented on the other draft so but really going to policy statements which is in Section A because that it has that does need a lot of work. Okay.

Tapani Tarvainen: So are we seeking just to compare on that by the end of this month we need to finish all this? Okay.

Anna Loup

This is Anna Loupfor the record. I have a new mail client which I have programmed e-mail reminders, biweekly e-mail reminders so (unintelligible) to just have all the e-mail reminders from me, they're already programmed so that is what I did this morning.

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro :

... this is what's going to happen but I find my old the old app that I was using was not working, now this one is working and I've tested it multiple times so I'm going to start reminding people on a biweekly basis and actually since we're nearing the end of our time, I'm going to open the floor for any other business as well as announcing - hold on - I'm going to make sure that I'm not missing anything in which (here at).

Moderator: Nathalie Peregrine 3-12-2017/8:00 am CT

> Confirmation # 3134907 Page 25

Nothing in chat, okay, so our next meeting actually I have the dates wrong. I

think I'm in the wrong (see a perfect way out) in this. It's not going to be on

March 19th. It is going to be on March 21st at so that's a Tuesday at 1300

UTC, David, I do apologize.

I recognize that this is a bad time for you so what I'll try and do is get the

PowerPoint out for this meeting to you 24 hours in advance so you can take a

look at it just because I realized at that time it's not ...

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: ... no, and I told them ...

Tapani Tarvainen: It's just 11, no? Yes, yes, just ...

Renata Aquino Ribeiro :

... okay.

Tapani Tarvainen: It's fine, it's perfect for the ...

Renata Aquino Ribeiro :

I tried to make sure we can get as many people there as possible.

Tapani Tarvainen: And 23 am, not ...

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro:

Excellent, okay, so opening the floor for any other business? I'm

going to look at the chat.

((Crosstalk))

Tatiana Tropina: ... I was thinking timeline of Google of stuff to work the EC themselves to

work, we were trying to count the number of (ducks remember yet) and it was

very, yes, we were in a lot and so yes, this is something you need to talk to about the intersessional reporting but just that.

Anna Loup: Okay. This is Anna Loup for the record. Would it be helpful if I setup a

folder, Google folder and then just sent that link around?

Tatiana Tropina: You can since you tested the app, you can. I'm going to continue they may

remind us.

Anna Loup: Okay.

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak: Rafik speaking. Just a question for Renata so about the new work site, I

suggest us creating a space where all the working document is one just

single page which we can check but also (unintelligible) ...

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak: ... I think now a third document for this ...

Anna Loup: No, this is I'm merging them together.

Rafik Dammak: ... okay, yes, right.

Anna Loup: This is Anna Loup for the record. I wanted to have a clean workspace for this

(unintelligible) it's getting full up on the other so any I'm ...

((Crosstalk))

Anna Loup: ... for my first half of course so any comments on how to you know, process

the Google doc and make it readable and manageable and accessible would

be really helpful as well so any feedback that I can, you know, try and help

Page 27

make your lives easier and facilitate your work, that's my job so please let me know.

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak: ... and a suggestion just to avoid ...

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro : Excellent okay, I've noted that.

Tatiana Tropina: So it's rather making life easier for you than for us as well.

((Crosstalk))

Anna Loup: This is Anna Loup. Thank you. I appreciate that. Okay, I'll state and let's

see do we have forum, (Haran), yes, if you've been listening, I would

appreciate you (unintelligible) any suggestions, comments, concerns to keep

you guys in the loop?

Tapani Tarvainen: Beautiful, democracy in the making. I love when the bureaucracy supports

democracy.

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: And with that now I'm just going to all right so next meeting is

March 21st at 1300 UTC. I am going to merge the document that we were working on today with the one that's in suggestion mode and the plan is by the end of the week that there will be a strawman for everything and we should have this to for public comment and we should be completely done by the end of the month, this month, March. I know, you got to remind me, it's not April yet unfortunately.

Rafik Dammak: We would be happy with April ...

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: And all right so I think we're good. We can end the meeting and think about ending meetings on time or early and with that, thank you all so very much.

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro : Thank you Maryam, thank you Farzi.

END