Transcription ICANN61 San Juan NCUC ExCom Meeting Saturday, 10 March 2018 at 09:00 AST

Note: Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

The transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

Ozan Sahin: Okay this is Ozan for the record the recording has started for the ExCom

meeting.

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much Ozan. This is Bruna Santos for the record. The – we

are starting now the NCUC meeting. In the room we'll have – we have the whole NCUC. We have Michael, Elsa, myself, Ines and Louise and who are

our former chair. And Rafik is also in the room.

We also have - oh we had Olga. And I guess we can move on to the agenda items right now just so we can develop this discussion. Renata do you want to do any opening words or remarks?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes I guess my audio is fine back again. Yes.

Bruna Santos: It is.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes.

Bruna Santos: It is.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Now (I could) understand. Okay NCUC so we discussed

previously membership engagement but we have some topics as well that

relate to this. So a few of those topics are how the AC can help on this, can help on engaging our members and continuing our actions.

So for instance I put the agenda shared between our ECs because we could probably discuss your thoughts until ICANN 61, your experiences what have you dealt with so far in terms of member engagement and government (stacks), your plans to ICANN 62 and for the rest of this year. So can I start with that? So basically this is your meeting. I would be very happy to listen your ideas and all members are also (unintelligible).

Bruna Santos:

Perfect. Thank you Renata. This is Bruna again. So I'm suggesting that we do a round of initial remarks by each the EC members and then we can move back to the membership affairs discussion because this is something that isn't still - it's not yet quite clear to us. So should we do this first round of talks on each EC?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Great.

Ines Hfaiedh:

This is Ines Hfaiedh for the record. I'll go for topics for Africa. Okay so in 2018 we're aiming at working with - more with Arssene and (Galif) on - from the GNSO and also Rafik. Rafik are you ready for the work on policy work because this is the question I receive the most from Africa members on how to become more engaged on policymaking.

Number two is that we developed a - actually a proposal and on - we have the NCUC radio with Thato with (Isaac Howtang) that we're going to develop and seek funding from outside sponsors for the time being. We hope we can make this happen especially from the technical side of it.

Number three is building bridges and encouraging access participation in AFRINIC, AfriSIG and (emeasig). So for AFRINIC our first chance will begin - beginning of April in the Internet - the African intermittent Summit with AfriSIG

as well. EuroSIG will be in summer in August so we'll have - so I am in the steering committee so I'll make sure to share this on the Africa list.

Number four, so I talked about - okay. And for the time being what is good that we have good participation on different fora and African fora and also in NCUC. So we have the chair of policy committee is from Africa, Rafik a member of the policy committee. We have Farell. Finance Committee we have Thato from Africa as well.

Have the public comment pen holder list. We have also from the GNSO we have Arsene. So far I think Africa members are trying their best to be more active in NCUC in different fora. And we're looking forward to working more on this. And yes that's all I have for me and I have to run right now. Thank you very much.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Thank you Ines, Renata here. I'll just - well thank you for your engagement of Africa members and the work that Rafik, his team has been doing be the latest chapter. And I'll focus on something really important. We have our policy course tomorrow and we have participants which are NCUC members. And you are very much looking into engaging more.

So I'll ask Ines to book a meeting with Caleb to talk about NCUC and policy work. Of course I know your time is very limited since you are with many, many tasks. But I guess he can really use your guidance. And any bridge you can build with our veterans would be great as well. He's an eager NCUC Africa meeting who is - about engaging more of NCUC. So that would be Africa member that you can already map out his interests and spaces that he could be.

Yes so this is for now Peter you are always following our activities. To - you know that you can reach out to me. And yes these are my suggestions for now. Thank you.

Ines Hfaiedh:

Thank you Renata. This is Ines. So I'll be meeting Caleb in Russia today from Africa. So I'll tell them about the policy course again. And also I was wondering if there was one other slot on the policy course because I saw (Jasad Kabir), he came. So do we have another slot for him? Do you think so?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: No we are – our hands are tied. We have a conversation we already have with ICANN staff regarding our policy (unintelligible). So yes I tried but we have to stick with the 12 names that consent before. And he was the first (constraint) because he sent a late application so they couldn't really integrate.

But remember anyone can follow policy course online and follow the activities and receive a certificate. So yes so unfortunately because the budget, the procurement this is all set by – would be additional budget request set by ICANN. Our hands are tied but (unintelligible) and thanks (unintelligible) for their interests. I hope there are other opportunities.

Ines Hfaiedh: Okay sounds good. Thank you very much. Bye guys and have a good day. Bye.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: All right thanks.

Bruna Santos: Renata this is Bruna again. So I guess we can move on to another AC. (Lou) do you want to jump in? So Louise is jumping in right now.

Louise Marie Hurel: Hi everyone, Louise Marie Hurel for the record. It's great to be here, great to talk to you Renata. So some things are on the horizon for the European region. And in terms of the engagement I think something that we always talked about a lot is that even though we might strategize on how to engage members each region has a very particular way of communicating and of engaging with an NCUC within NCUC.

And one of the interesting things that kind of pops up in the horizon for the European region is that while some might not engage so much in the regional list and I think we might think of ways - I think that's one of the points that might be improved for this year is to get greater engagement in the EU list. But I think that's also like part of the characteristic of the region. And I know that's been a thing for previous ECs from this particular region.

But aside from that I think we have some very positive things going on in terms of people from the region engaging in NCUC. And that's the thing while on the other hand there's very active engagement. And especially I'm referring to if you look at the policy course we have Dina, we have Claudio, we have Olga. And I think that, that is kind of a very interesting group of people that have been very engaged writing and commenting and also in our capacity building project, newcomers' project. So I think that is something to note.

Also noting in an update for those who are not – that are not following Dina she just joined the onboarding program with Kathy and myself which is really great. And just in terms of paying it forward within NCUC and just share knowledge and share experience and just build these capacities throughout a newcomer's journey and I think it goes beyond the idea of newcomer's journey but just clarifying how we work internally and how NCUC relates to the other constituencies. So I would really highlight that.

On the other hand further on there's some events that are going to happen throughout this year. First of them - and some have already happened so we got a great report from Ayden that was over at the Internet Freedom Festival from 5 to March 9 in Valencia, Spain. Together with him we also had Claudio. And if I'm not mistaken so yes we had Claudio. We had Eduardo Carillio Enbantes. But from the region Claudio and Ayden which is great and to see this interaction between regions even though in these events.

The other event is the World Summit Information Society even though I think we might touch upon that later. Another one is EuroDIG 6 to 7 June in Tallinn. That is something I have been engaging a bit more on the organizational side – of have been starting to engage a bit more on the organizational side. And we might think of strategies on how to plan outreach over there so I think that's a major event on the region.

And finally something to close the year is ICANN 63 which will be from 20 to 26 October this year in Barcelona. So I think we had a – we have a very good and an ongoing schedule of events throughout the region and ways of engaging civil society and organizations in (unintelligible) organizations in NCUC and trying to translate it a bit more easily. So I think that's it from the European region and thank you.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Actually can I just - Renata. Just one very important point is (unintelligible) would be good to ask around who will be in (unintelligible). And I think (Nigel) he can help on that and talk about our workshop there which is on the 22, invite people to join and so on if you can reach out as well yes. I am sorry I think we are very near the end of this meeting. Are we passed already right? But I'll just listen to the other EC and please be brief. And if we have time I'll go through that document I sent the URL in just one minute. Thank you.

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much Renata. This is Bruna again. So Michael or Elsa do you guys want to check in?

Michael Karanicolas: Hi. Michael Karanicolas for the record. So there's two major outreach events coming up for North America. And that is RightsCon and the INTA event the first of which I'm funded to attend with CROP and the second which second of which was funded through an allocation from NCSG. RightsCon is a more natural fit for our reach.

As some of you know I'll be doing a booth out there. I received an email in from Arsenewho is also going to be there and has also offered to volunteer. Matt Shear said he might show up. I'm not sure if he's still counts as NCUC because he's on the board now but he's a noncommercial guy.

So I'm very optimistic that we'll have a good turn out there. I mean it's NGO is small around the world so it's prime recruiting territory for us. And we also have a session that's going to be done in collaboration with UNESCO which provides us with a nice profile boost for the session. And it's also going to be very useful in terms of spreading the word. So I'm very optimistic about recruiting possibilities at RightsCon.

INTA is a bit of a weirder fit. I was actually if I'm being candid, kind of surprised when I saw that email come across because it's basically a intellectual property law conference. So it's mostly going to be lawyers and academics that are active in the IP field so enemy territory basically. But the flipside of that is there are going to be professors active on First Amendment issues, intellectual property issues, people that are more of a natural fit for us. So, you know, I'm not sure so Rebecca Tushnet as an example. Would you like to...

Louise Marie Hurel: Yes.

Michael Karanicolas: Please.

Louise Marie Hurel: I don't want to...

Michael Karanicolas: Yes please go ahead.

Louise Marie Hurel: Yes, no, no just jumping in to talk about the INTA. I think it's even though it's not the first fit I think we really need academics, people that really dominate this area such as Rebecca because for example in the RPM Working Group you really need to be an expert to kind of tackle these things.

And sometimes we might go for the obvious more civil society, grassroots kind of events.

And I think when we perhaps shift to these specific events we're targeting also a gap that we are facing within our policy engagement which needs a lot of expertise. So I would really highlight that. While it's not the first option we really need people such as Rebecca to just jump in and talk with all of that experience so...

Michael Karanicolas: Yes I definitely agree. Thanks very much for that. Michael Karanicolas again for the record. Yes I mean the thing about professors is they have expertise so they can actually take a lead in policy writing. And they have I - as I say they have time. I don't know if - I mean a lot of them are busy but they because there paid to be in this space. They can do this work as part of their profession basically like Milton does.

So I do think that that's a very important potential area for outreach. So I'll be doing that along with Kathy and outreach for NCUC to bring more – one of our – so one of our main aims for going there is to establish programming and research collaborations and to find profs that we can do some projects with and hey let's work together and create this and do some research together or something which I think is a good way to bring people into the NCUC orbit is to get them actually on the ground and engage them more directly and to bring this into their core research part which I think is key to having them actually firmly established as NCUC contributors. So I do think that that's a good opportunity.

More broadly I think that there is a lot more we – I do notice that growth in terms of NCUC membership tends to come much less from North America than from other regions. That's just my impression looking at like the applications we get and for mentee slots and for fellowships and that kind of stuff. It seems to be less North America which suggests to me that there's more that we can do. And my hope is that essentially with the exception of

NGO events like RightsCon academic settings is the best avenue forward. So reaching out to professors and potentially using them to leverage in their students I don't know if that's – that sounds very coercive and I didn't mean it that way. But using professors as an avenue to engage with graduate students and the like I think would be the best avenue forward because grassroots engagement for North America is not as easy as some other regions. So I think that there's a lot more scope for growth in this region and I think that would be how we should be approaching it. Thank you.

Bruna Santos: Thank you Michael.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Sorry just I'm really worried about the time so I'll be very quick.

The spreadsheet was sent from meetings suggestions for a review. There's also an ICANN 61 spreadsheet with fellows and NexGen. Remember we didn't have any contact with NexGen we didn't have a lot of contact with them because they can't be in our outreach because they are in (unintelligible).

And they are - really they are universally connected. So please reach out to them especially our members. And we do have quite a few members who are NexGens. Sorry I see we are really pressed for time so I will just listen to the rest of the EC. Thank you.

Bruna Santos:

Hi Renata again. This is Bruna for the record. Just a quick clarification. Although NexGeners and first-time follows are not allowed to come to our outreaches we are going to Newcomer's Day. So I am - I'll be doing the NCUC should presentation there. So we are not uncovered, necessarily uncovered in this area. So I guess that apart from being present at Newcomers Day and Ines is also (both) lead so she can help us deliver the NCUC message.

And I guess both me and Elsa being alumni we can join the booth at some point and talk about NCUC. Yes other than that I wanted to talk about my region, the ALAC region. The first point that I would like to highlight is that we

need to update the Web site the members that are listed at the Web site.

They are quite not updated. Rafik might have - might want to - just to - sure.

Rafik Dammak:

Okay Rafik speaking. Yes because it's not - before it was script that updating from database. But that's broken for now because we - you are using another database, the common one between NCSG, NPOC and NCUC.

Woman:

(Unintelligible) right?

Rafik Dammak:

Yes so you don't have that anymore that automatic update and but yes some - I - but it's important point because I ask it Maryam before in the GNSO if working group there was a discussion about that public membership. And they ask it for the - for each group the list. So I find out that was not the case for - and asking her to create a page of something at least for now.

Bruna Santos:

Thank you very much Rafik. This is Bruna again for the record. So yes apart from the Web site I am in fact aware that this is the Web site group, the (Tac) group that we sort of formed to resolve this question. And moving on to the ALAC update.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro:

didn't really get it. So you're saying that on the Web site the African members were not the African members we have. Is that right?

Bruna Santos:

No Renata, sorry. The problem what Rafik cleared up for us is that our database is no longer being automatically updated on the Web site. And this is something that we are sorting out.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro:

Okay (unintelligible).

Bruna Santos:

That's fine.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro:

work and so on and so forth yes there is some (unintelligible) that are reliable or not complete for us to move forward. But that's why I did all this mapping of all of the policy course applicants and the new members as well for you to work. I think urgently some of these members who have been asking for attention. And when we figure out this - these other routines we should work with all members too. So we need to design thinking of all members but please contact results some of these members that I've mapped already. Thanks, just noting that.

Bruna Santos:

Okay thank you Renata, moving on to the ALAC region engagement we just had a CROP application sort of approved. This is something that has been worked on. We are probably going for LACNIC. It's (Roxanne) from the Caribbean region who is - will be representing NCUC at the LACNIC meeting.

We had a short request for a clarification with regards to this meeting from ICANN staff. And I would just like to put in the record that both me and Renata are supportive of this application. This is a rather new NCUC member who is willing to engage with the community and represent us there. And I will be probably working with (Roxanne) to improve this application in this session during LACNIC.

I am aware that she didn't get her session approved but we will be definitely following – doing a follow-up and making sure that her participation in LACNIC is a good one. Apart from that and before I hand my – the mic again to Rafik yes I would just like to notice – just to note that I'm also trying to again mapping again all the events in the Latin America region. We have LACIGF coming up so we don't have a host country yet do the call. We're still like - there was like no country applied apparently. I don't know.

And but as soon as I have the - as we have the host country and the dates for the LACIGF we will be probably working our thinking on an outreach up there and the rest of the event in the region. So we have sort of a good membership from the region and a lot of our members are around there. We have at least three counting myself doing - that will be taken the policy course this week.

One of them is Lia. Lia Hernandez is from Panama. She's a newcomer and a fellow at this meeting. But she will be helping us with our outreach before the policy forum in Panama earlier on. And Lia and (The Politac) who's an organization member they already offered to hold our outreach. So for me this is it right now and I can compromise on continuing to mapping our members and engaging with them. Thank you.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Bruna shall I put my hand on the Adobe, better just go ahead here? Well first of all Renata here. I think it would be good the ones we have CROP going on which is Africa, LAC and North America please try to meet the GFC there on ICANN 61 and well speak about these CROPs and what can we do and what should we be ready for. Another big thing to note in LAC is that LACNIC organizes like IGS is the major supporter of LACIGF.

So we should definitely have that in mind. LACNIC will be in Panama as well and so we should have those connections in mind. And on the spreadsheet that is on your screen right now I've noted for the meeting with Lia and the meeting with Monica Trochez. So Monical've noted the LAC implementation committee which has the LAC PDP session. So if you do get involved with PDP session what are they thinking or are they doing? And we could probably have a member report that back to us better than an officer because they will be the target so yes. And Lia about the outreach event as well perhaps do a meeting also with (unintelligible) and others so yes just (unintelligible) general.

We also have I know we have lots of - we also have some members who are disengaged and we have to work with re-engagement like (Copans). I don't know if (Copans) is there. So yes find those out too and probably (Jeff) he is

working on that too and it can have - it can help. Yes Rafik you wanted to comment on something?

Bruna Santos:

Thank you Renata. This is Bruna again. I will be indeed talking to both (CSC) and Lia and Monicaand ask them and whether or not they want to be more engaged with NCUC and how can I be helpful with them – to them so thank you.

Rafik Dammak:

Okay thanks. No it's just really a question or comment. This is Rafik speaking. So because I heard when Bruna you discussed one the CROP it seems it's coming from a newcomer. But my question for me guys I mean if you are sending a newcomer to do outreach I think he or she needs a lot of support. So to think really it's a sustainable way to do things because just put more work for you at the end. So I have no response for this but just wondering how you can - or what's you have a pen ready how you can manage better there because I remember we give before CROP and it's some level of work at the end even if you don't send newcomers so...

Bruna Santos:

So before you - I don't know if you want to respond to this Renata but just clearing up stuff with Rafik right now yes we had like very few CROP applications this time. So we pretty much evaluated and worked with all of them just to see how much we could improve them and if we could improve them in order to approve and give these members the chance to attend the meetings. I do know that Roxanne is a newcomer but yes it's part of the job. I will - and I told Renata this. I will probably be working with her and with the preparation to this meeting because we – she has been the selected member to attend.

Elsa Saade:

Also for the record Renata do you have anything to add before we could talk a bit Asia-Pacific region? Renata are you there? Okay so by the time Renata is back I would just like to take the opportunity to talk a bit about Asia-Pacific region as the EC for EP.

Ozan Sahin:

Excuse me for interrupting. This is Ozan speaking. I saw Renata's comment in the chat box. She would try to use the mic but I think the mics for ICANN public meetings are disabled. So if you are trying to do that you might not be heard in the room Renata. You might want to keep talking on your mobile phone. Please let me know. Sorry for interrupting.

Elsa Saade:

Thank you Ozan. Okay so by the time Renata's not (been) again with the mic I just like to - I don't want to repeat the same points that my fellow EC colleagues just mentioned because most of them were very much in common with AP region. But I'd like to insist on the point of membership mapping because in the AP region like the AP regional list hasn't been super active.

In fact I was the one who sent the first email to the mailing list from all the EC members that were before us. So I think it's key that we keep the context in mind like Louise mentioned in her part of the call. And it's very, very important that we use meetings that are face to face especially in the context of the AP region more than when it comes to mailing lists and regional wins -- whatever it is.

There are a couple of upcoming regional events like the Asia-Pacific regional IGF and several other events that we could take advantage of in terms of making sure that our members are engaged as much as possible and informed as much as possible about NCUC and making sure that they are presenting NCUC in a proper way going forward.

And like there should be more of a team spirit. And this can only happen if we actually make sure that our membership is mapped properly because also to echo what Rafik talked about in terms of putting so much energy into things that could be done in and of themselves I think if we map our members properly whether it's regional or skill-based things can be much easier for everyone and there would be more of a spirit of working as NCUC going forward not just only a NCUC but also with NPOC and with NCSG. So NCUC as an entity can grow much, much stronger if we make sure that our

Page 15

members are - have their skills, their influence, their amount of engagement

not properly going forward.

We do have a lot of active members when it comes to policy. But I really feel like we should make sure to embrace them further into the NCUC and make sure that going forward we're connected with them in terms of AP. So in order not to repeat whatever my colleagues just said here I thought that it would be

best to just put weight on this more than anything else.

Bruna Santos: Thanks Elsa. Renata yet can you hear me?

Elsa Saade: Yes Renata welcome back. Okay Renata just for the record we are no longer

hearing you if you're saying anything. So we just heard you back but that you

just cut off again.

How about now? Renata Aquino Ribeiro:

Elsa Saade: Yes Renata we can hear you.

Okay great. I just had - this is crazy guys. I'm with four computers. Renata Aquino Ribeiro:

> I've spilled water on one of my computers so yes what a day. Any thank you very much also for this update. And yes in the link I sent you which I would prefer if you keep it non-public with all of the other links including from which (unintelligible) but I would prefer if you just focus on the spreadsheet right

now.

So we have a couple of I think steps to work with our members. Yes AP is our largest region actually. We have 150 members, 154 members I think. And yes Rafik is right I mean CROP before we had people doing CROP who were PDP co-chairs. So (David Tate) had a CROP of Philippines. And...

Elsa Saade: It's 122 members actually.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes also...

Elsa Saade: On the Web site yes.

((Crosstalk))

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes but others has other numbers so it's pretty complicated. But yes we had - previously we had PDP co-chairs doing CROP and now we have someone who really has been with NCUC for about a year or so. And it is challenging but I guess that's where EC should step up and all of our other members as well so we do have some other members who are more experienced in - to support the members who have proposed these CROPs, Africa as well. I really hope that we have members coming together to help on these actions because what we do have to have in mind is that they cannot do it alone anyway. They cannot do it alone in the working groups. They cannot do it alone with CROP. They have to have our support, (EC) support, other members' support. So I'm really doing – I'm really focusing on doing this more as study groups and support systems rather than someone coming in just giving them as a subject matter expert would a briefing in all the PDPs. It won't happen. We don't have those members applying for CROP.

Unfortunately we can't have that happening, members, new members working with veteran members. But that is something that we should first get the new members on places, on spaces, on PDPs on working groups and then have them working with the subject matter experts to an event or to an IGF proposal and so on and so forth. So yes that's - that would be my response to your question Rafik. And also for AP, a large region large number of members very different among themselves. But yes perhaps we need to work even more on the idea of subgroups and support systems. I really liked that Elsa did the personal notes to the list. So yes it's bad, ping them. Ping all the members via the mailing list once in a while, send them suggestions, send something remote. Whatever you can send it's you're -

you are taking something to probably get members to be more involved and to listen to you.

And on the policy (course) applicants for instance we have only one. We have Shreedeep who is someone who is already involved in a lot of stuff, organized Nepal) School of Internet Governance, organizes Nepal IGF so some Asia-Pacific members. Perhaps also it's good to see them as bridge to other members who aren't engaged.

So for instance Shahul who did the Ask NCUC project he's - he is someone who is looking for to (meet) with NCUC. He's not like leading India School of Internet Governance. He's a student. So people who are beginning on Internet policy could probably be more open to learning about working groups and stuff. So I think Shreedeep would be a good bridge to other members as well but it would be - probably would be frustrating for us to expect him to lead an outreach action and so on and so forth.

So we had to have this (unintelligible) as well which members are we talking to and what we want to talk to them about yes? So I hope that helped that clarified a bit. And I think for Shreedeep I did yes Elsa as well. So they are very open though the (unintelligible) events are very open to us. So it would be great to find out how can it collaborate in NepalSIG, Nepal IGF moving forward as well.

And yes don't think just because it's regional event there would be only for example like (Jeff) and Asia Pacific is happening in the same week. And we have a few hands to write all those proposals so let's try to collaborate on the proposals the best we can. And yes so this would be a few important points for Asia-Pacific.

On the new member survey we also have some people for instance (Fabaresh) who was interested in an (unintelligible). But does he know we have comments coming up which are important that one has a view on

security? (Hanan Kapid) who applied for our NCUC Buddy Pilot Program and so someone just finishing up her Masters I think. So would be great to give her more involved in the future. She is on RPM.

And our NexGens that we have there (Krishna) and others, (Ahmad) from India as well. So yes on our new member survey you have a lot of data there about Asia-Pacific members that would be good to work. (Abu) as well and okay.

So one more thing that I wanted to say is I looked at our previous documents EC previous documents of EC meetings for this meeting so I hope we've got out the points but if I don't please just tell me and we can go back to the (things). Have we had other EC speaking already? Can we go back to the agenda Ozan?

Ozan Sahin:

Sure.

Bruna Santos:

Hi Renata. We have talked about every single EC's actions. And from these initial discussion we - what we are taking from it is that we're all looking into ways of further engaging more members and outreaching to new ones. And every single EC has highlighted either meetings or paths that we can go through. So I guess we are – we have started out this first point.

We have also talked about our policy course and (Reshali) spoke about our CROP applications. We all agreed that we need – if we decide on approving a CROP application from a newcomer either the EC or a more experienced NCUC member should work with him on this proposal just so we do not end up with someone representing us in a way that we should – we would not be glad with. If I could maybe just propose a last AOB like I would very much think of ways of NCUC and chair receiving complaints and such discussions and questions and criticism or maybe eloquent comments on how good we are. But I would very much like for us to...

((Crosstalk))

Man: (Unintelligible) on how much people love us.

Bruna Santos: Yes. We would love to have to find that to come up with a system of receiving

anonymous comments and complaints or questions about the EC and the NCUC chair work. And I think this is something that we should be working on

up until the end of our term.

Louise Marie Hurel: Hi.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay.

((Crosstalk))

Louise Marie Hurel: Louise here just for the record.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes go on Louise.

Louise Marie Hurel: Let me just - yes I'm just going to go really quick here to follow-up on what Bruna was saying. I just think is the idea here is not to create double efforts. The idea here is not to think that we need to create new things all the time. But I think the effort here is perhaps for us to critically access if the mechanisms we have now they are good, they are useful or they are the best ways for us to get some kind of feedback or to get anonymous information circulating from our member - member spool to the NCUC EC. So I think I just wanted to stress this out because this should not sound as us just trying to make new things but is just to reviewing what we have until now and seeing if this way of communicating is the best one. So I just wanted to add that to Bruna's point. Thank you.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay yes so we should leave - should we - any other points about this in the (notes) I don't see anyone in queue? Is do you (unintelligible) there? Yes okay I see Dina's comment on the...

Bruna Santos: Yes.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay you - do you have - and this is a topic actually also it was conjoined meetings. We had a member's meeting, we have EC meeting and we have EC meeting. So we do have - sorry if EC - EP meeting. We do have a work team called the ET which is targeting our online processes and how to improve them. So we have been discussing some stuff there. And including our documents, routines like documents and stuff and documents which should remain public and documents which should remain private.

So for what you're asking about on terms of anonymous correspondence and inquiries I think there are two ways to go about this. There is one way which is the personal one to one way which was really building trust and relationship of our members so asking our members to send stuff or listening from them when they have a concern. It also can be very much relatable to how – what's the relationship you have with those members.

So the regional calls helped a lot and sending stuff to the list helps a lot. They want to respond a lot of them on the list. So the lists are currently they are very unilateral but it's a culture that they need to develop this communication culture and this relationship culture if the membership gets their voices in something. But yes we could have an anonymous system like a global leaks customized (unintelligible).

We do have however priorities in ET and things that the ET (unintelligible). So we do have staff as well so they can send their inquiries to staff and staff can distribute to the chair to EC when it's appropriate. But I - I'm not sure if we should have a whole full-fledged platform for now or just (unintelligible). Perhaps you could have just info at NCUC.org being used. But this is

something that we can discuss more. So yes Dina can you speak for (NT) please? I see your comment on chat.

Dina Jalkanen:

All right and Dina Jalkanen speaking. Can you hear me? Hi everyone. I'm about to gone off to Universal Acceptance meeting. So the suggestion you made is an excellent suggestion of feedback and giving feedback freely, anonymously I think it's a very good one. And I think what's good to be there for the executive committee of the NCUC is perhaps a unified smart policy, online policy could be good because also we have an issue of having Internet for instance these rights to certain documents distributed in a smart way.

And if we think overall this - a small technical group keeping NCUC independent and keeping the text of running but on the technical group on the (unintelligible) people are active and have been a bit tired as well from all the volunteer efforts like Tapani for instance. So one suggestion would be to dedicate a couple of people to work on all the improvements we need. And they are quite easy to implement like the feedback for instance about the Internet and so on how they feel about that, yes.

And the last question I have for the committee would you consider possibly hiring someone or compensating someone to do the proper setups? And perhaps there could be a short survey of the volunteers of potential (unintelligible) seeing what their competencies are and how much times they put in. Thank you.

Bruna Santos: Renata...

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes.

Bruna Santos: ...do you want to address it?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes I just have a comment. We are actually doing at - NCSG is actually doing a roadmap of I should probably say reviewing the contract with

the provider who is working to finish our database system. Of course Rafik if you want to chime in on future expectations for this. For us NCUC chair, as constituency part of NCUC we are asked to provide our views on this. But of course NPOC also has a voice there. So that's a stakeholder group level discussion as well.

On NCUC level I think we could really use our platforms. And I quite like the idea of having a team member responsible for it and doing a survey together impressions and so on. So perhaps we could have one EC and an ET volunteer to work on it. So we will - you brought up this suggestion. Would you like to work on it with Dina our ET volunteer on the side for a feedback platform? Let's call it like this so a feedback platform?

Louise Marie Hurel: Hi Renata. Thank you for raising this point again. I think I was talking to Dina actually here on (off). And I really want to hear a little bit of about how she sees that this might be accomplished. I think we can work in ways perhaps to coordinate this relationship between the EC and the wider membership pool because I think they're more capacity to people who might have the skills to do that. And we can go back and forward between the EC and the members or perhaps the selected pool of volunteers if we're looking at a selection.

I think it's very flexible at this stage. But I think we first have to think about what kind of method would be good to think about these things. We - I think Dina was talking about perhaps a survey but that would be the second part. Can you elaborate a little bit about that because I didn't understand the first part that you were – that you talked about?

So it's just that you were re talking about the survey afterwards to kind of get these volunteers. But I don't understand like the mechanism that you were thinking about or if you are thinking about a specific mechanism to have this feedback into the EC. Do you mean these...

((Crosstalk))

Louise Marie Hurel: All NCUC constituents or the these that that (two) are specifically?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes I'll just put some order here on the thoughts, Renata. I'm sharing with you the link to our first constituency review questionnaire. So for instance our constituency review is when we present to NCUC or even now we have, you know, we have a board, Organizational Effectiveness Committee who is – oh yes - and (unintelligible) meant the (tech crew), yes. But let me just quickly go through this. Yes so we have to respond on our organizational and effectiveness as well. So the link on the constituency review gives you a bit of well do you have public documents? Do you have channels for communication and so on so think about that? We have addressed the point there is some (key) perspective please.

Louise Marie Hurel: And Renata hi, Louise here again. I'm looking at the constituency review document and I know we're kind of like sidetracking a bit but I was just wondering I see this is from last year. So what we have to do this again is it ongoing when we have to perhaps fill it? Is there a timeline? I'm just asking because I personally haven't seen this document before so I was just wondering. Thank you.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Yes it's (unintelligible). And I think Rafik can probably answer better what's the timeline on this. But I think this is something we should be ready to respond when discussing things such as feedback and public or nonpublic documents. So we are going to be asked on that on broader terms. So what does NCUC do and how is NCUC communication and feedback with members? Yes so that's why I shared these documents just to have a background for this discussion okay?

Bruna Santos: Okay. Thank you Renata. If nobody else has any questions I think we can adjourn the call today Renata because we...

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: I think Dina wanted to speak from the ET perspective on the survey?

Dina Jalkanen: Just to shortly add if Bruna and Renata it'd be that the feedback is a go just tell us what feedback would you like and then we can implement it quick and

easily.

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much Dina. So I guess another outcome of this is that EC

and the chair will discuss and further develop this initiative and then we'll

report back to Dina.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Great. We do have so time check with - have ten minutes?

Bruna Santos: Yes Renata we have ten more minutes but we were wondering on joining the

call right now and getting ready for next outreach.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay let me just - sorry guys but let's just - I'm on another computer so that's why I'm taking a few more time but the ICANN 61 fellows and NexGen thing you have tabs there for fellows and future members, fellows of those organizations, NexGen that's (unintelligible) organizations and policy course yes. So the fellows of organization there are some fellows that will be in our next outreach. And they did not sign up to talk about their organization but please invite them yes. So (Carson Center) is from Brazilian lawyers organization commission so could be good to talk about what is that organization does. That is a civil society organization. I know Bruna you are (ultimately) familiar with it but it would be good to have our fellows speaking about this (unintelligible) there.

Some of this is not quite correct. It's the other Monica(unintelligible) now. (Nicholas) who can speak to LACNIC civil society projects like the project in Haiti where they include more women in Internet policy and in a professional capacity building program should reach some new (unintelligible) rights.

We don't have any youth organizations speaking at our civil society organization round table. And I know all of you have knowledge or are connected to youth organizations so please invite someone to speak as well. And yes many people are from (Islac) who have a (Islac) Puerto Rico being the host of the house.

But some (Islac) are wanting some very specific projects. So (Islac) (Diana) is involved in a - is a passport for community connecting Caribbean so they can speak about that project. So yes be more creative in our upcoming outreach and invite people who are there to speak about their organizations.

And also in the next one and when we have the first block of NCUC outreach itself I think we have done something very different right now that we ask fellows to talk about their work. I don't know if we'll have any fellows their again but I hope we can do that yes? Do you have any questions, any points about our upcoming updates?

Bruna Santos:

I – no Renata not on my behalf. And I guess we're all very much on the same note on these outreaches. We're all like getting ready. We have to change rooms and it's starting at 10:30. So yes we have an outreach with NPOC and proper NCUC outreach later on and at the end of the day an outreach with the ALAC which we are - the five of us are looking forward to the three of them and yes.

Woman: Thank you Renata.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Okay well thank you. See you in the...

((Crosstalk))

Woman: (Unintelligible) Renata. See you in a few.

Renata Aquino Ribeiro: All right.

Bruna Santos: We are adjourning this call right now. Thank you very much Ozan for helping us and if we could stop the recording please.

END