

**SO/AC New gTLD Applicant Support Working Group (JAS)  
TRANSCRIPT  
Tuesday 01 February 2011 at 1400 UTC**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the SO/AC new gTLD Applicant Support Working Group (JAS) Tuesday 01 February 2011 at 14:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at: <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ias-20110201-en.mp3>

On page:  
<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar#feb>

(transcripts and recordings are found on the calendar page)

**Participants on the Call:**

**ALAC**

Andrew Mack – CBUC  
Carlton Samuels – ALAC - Co-Chair  
Alan Greenberg – ALAC  
Cintra Sooknanan - At-Large  
Olivier Crepin-Leblond – ALAC Chair  
Cheryl Langdon-Orr – ALAC  
Tijani Ben Jemaa – ALAC  
Sebastien Bachollet – ALAC  
Dave Kissoondoyal - ALAC  
Alex Gakuru – NCSG  
Carlos Aguirre - At Large  
Rafik Dammak - NCSG - Council liaison, Co-Chair  
Evan Leibovitch – ALAC  
Elaine Pruis - Mindsandmachine

**GNSO**

Avri Doria – NCSG  
Tony Harris – ISPCP

**ICANN staff**

Gisella Gruber-White  
Karla Valente

**Apologies:**

Dave Kissoondoyal - ALAC  
Baudoin Schombe - At-Large

Gisella Gruber-White: Thank you. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone.

On today's JAS call on Tuesday the 2nd of February we have Carlton Samuels, Rafik Dammak, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Alex Gakuru, Sebastien Bachollet, Alan Greenberg, Olivier Crepin-LeBlond, Elaine Pruis, Evan Leibovitch, Tony Harris, Cintra Sooknanan. We have from staff Glen DeSaintgery, Karla Valente and myself, Gisella Gruber-White.

Apologies today noted from Dave Kissoondoyal and Baudouin Schombe. We're still trying to get a hold of Carlos Aguirre who should be joining shortly. If I could please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you, over to you Rafik and Carlton.

Carlton Samuels: Thank you. Good morning, afternoon everybody; welcome. This, as I said, my apologies, I will have to withdraw a little early. But just to get right into it we've had the roll call. We had agreed at the last meeting that we would have some sub-working groups; four of them were set up.

And we also agreed that the way we would treat this matter is for the subgroups to discuss in their own fashion the agenda for themselves. And then on these calls they would make a report of what the substantive discussion was in their own subgroups. So I'm now calling for those subgroup reports.

I would ask that if there is any questions that could be directed to the group we wait until the end of the report to ask the questions. I would like to start with the first subgroup which has to do with criteria and making...

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak: Carlton?

Carlton Samuels: Yes.

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak: Okay there is - I'm sorry. So for - just to remind - okay please, Gisella, can you check about the echo? I am going to mute.

Tijani Ben Jemaa: That's me, I was speaker. I muted off now. I was muted. So that's - because I will speak; let me speak and then I will be off.

Rafik Dammak: Oh just - sorry - I was going to summarize a list of the work team and the volunteers that's all so - anyway.

Carlton Samuels: Well you can do that, you know, Rafik, if you think it will - it helps. You can do that.

Rafik Dammak: Yeah, it's just because now we have in the work team - one. In A, B we have leader Tijani and volunteers Carlton, Cintra and Tony. And for work team C and G as leader Avri and we have as volunteer Alex, Eric and Cintra (unintelligible).

For D, E, F we have as leader Alan and volunteers Avri, Tony, Eric and Dave. And for work team H just we have Tony and we don't enough volunteers and also no leaders yet. And for work team A we have Andrew as leader and Eric as volunteers. So we have the two last work teams we need - which need more volunteers so I encourage everybody to participate.

And also Alan send a request to add a item to the agenda about how the work team will be organized and they will communicate either through the - our common mailing list or a private mailing list. So that's all, thank you.

Carlton Samuels: Okay. Tijani you can go ahead. I think - but just to say I think we all agreed that we would have used the common mailing list but we would have a label attached to each discussion - subgroup discussion so it was readily available. That's what I thought we had agreed.

But in the end it is up to the work team leaders to determine what their modality is for communicating and the meeting modality.

Tijani Ben Jemaa: Okay, can I speak?

Carlton Samuels: Yes please go ahead.

Tijani Ben Jemaa: Thank you. So I will begin with what you said right now. I do think that the general mailing list of this working group have to be or should be used by all the work teams so that other people who are not in the work team can participate in the discussion, can be - can add, can contribute. I think it's the best way. I know that it will be very noisy list but with the level that you mentioned it will be very easy sorted of - that's for this point.

Now for my work team we started gathering some eligibility criteria from some international agencies such as World Bank and others. And I sent an email asking for your help in this matter. So please if someone is able or can or knows a source from which I can - we can take some criteria it will be helpful.

We will try to compile all those sources and try to find what is relevant to our mission and we'll try to find out the possible eligibility criteria for the support. So right now we are gathering. I have some resources; Cintra provided some; Carlton also give me some ideas. And I am looking for more so that we can work on the various models. That's all.

Carlton Samuels: Thank you, Tijani. Anyone has any questions or updates or additions to Tijani who's leading the work team? No questions. Okay so just to reiterate, the work team is already in the discovery process. We are looking at the kinds of attributes and we have shared some of those.

We are looking for metrics - international metrics that would make the attributes measurable. And we are looking for help from everyone to supply

this information. And if you have any ideas of the attributes and the metrics that we could use please post them to the list with an appropriate label. And Tijani, as the team leader, will bring us together around them. Thank you.

The next work team is about funding and fundraising. Avri are you on?

Avri Doria: Yeah, I'm on. I saw - Andrew had put his hand up so I don't know if he still had something to say...

((Crosstalk))

Carlton Samuels: Oh.

Andrew Mack: Right. Real briefly just a suggestion because I think that there are going to be a number of us who are going to be on multiple groups and also because even for people who aren't necessarily formally on one group might have a good idea or a good resource.

For example we work around the corner from the World Bank so if there's a point at which it's helpful to use that as a resource, you know, in another work group by all means.

I was just thinking that, Carlton, maybe it would be worthwhile for us to have a protocol so that something - it goes in the two lines so that people can know which work group you're referring to or something along those lines.

Avri Doria: Yeah, in fact that was something I was going to mention.

Andrew Mack: Okay well there you go. Back to you then, Avri.

Avri Doria: Okay...

Carlton Samuels: Yes I had suggested that in the subject of the mail - if that's what you're talking about Andrew...

Andrew Mack: Yes sir. I just wondered if we wanted to have actually a protocol for that so people will know what they're seeing when it comes.

Carlton Samuels: Okay. In the subject for the mail I had suggested that you label the work team.

Avri Doria: In fact I already did it.

Carlton Samuels: Yes.

Avri Doria: And Tijani did it too; though we did it differently but we both did it.

Carlton Samuels: Yeah.

Avri Doria: I put in square brackets, Team C, D...

Carlton Samuels: Right.

Avri Doria: ...and Tijani just put Working Team A, B. I don't know that we have to standardize on one method or one way of - one naming convention. But, you know, if each one picks its thing and sticks to it I think we'll recognize it. So that...

Carlton Samuels: That's the deal.

Avri Doria: Right. I started doing that - I don't know that we have to be militant about everybody doing it the same way.

Carlton Samuels: Can I - Avri, before you go I think Rafik's hand is up. Can I ask Rafik if you have something to contribute now?

Rafik Dammak: Sorry?

Carlton Samuels: Rafik, your hand is up.

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak: About the label?

Carlton Samuels: No, no your hand is up; I'm giving you a chance to speak...

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak: Oh no, no, no, no.

Carlton Samuels: Okay. All right, Avri, I'm so sorry; carry on.

Avri Doria: That's okay. So we're still in an organizational mode although I did make an initial suggestion of, you know, basically there's two parts to this obviously and that the first part is sort of perhaps getting a letter of explanation, solicitation, what have you, written.

And the second part is talking to people that have created funds; that have looked at how to manage these funds and starting to talk to that. I had reported back to the group a little bit of the work - oh I reported on the general list a little bit of the work that I had already been doing and for example had talked to various people who have said yes we're interested in a fund but we're only interested in doing something for people from our country.

Or yes we're interested in a fund but we don't think that fund should be based in the US or Europe but somewhere outside of there. Yeah, maybe we'll think about making, you know, a pledge but we need more details so starting to put

together a mailing or set of mailings and the address list of where to send them.

And perhaps even have things that are specialized, you know, this is going to registrars, registries, this is going to domainers, this is going to World Bank type of funding organizations, etcetera.

So - now one of the roadblocks I immediately encountered is how are we going to do this? Now my first thought was oh of course we can use the wiki, you know, except that now three, four months after ICANN took away our access to the wiki of old they still haven't given us any access to the new, you know, wiki that they've created.

And each time I've asked it's been, yeah, yeah, coming soon and then nothing happens. So the other option is for either me to set up a wiki in other space that I have access to or use something like Google Docs. But at this point unless somebody is able to unwedge ICANN so that they let us have access to our working group's wiki we don't have a place to work.

So another thing about these periodic meetings is it's a place to kvetch about things that aren't working right at the moment. The working group wiki is not accessible to the members of this group; that is a bad thing.

((Crosstalk))

Avri Doria: Haven't done anything else beyond that yet. And that's my status. Thanks.

Carlton Samuels: Thank you, Avri. I just want to echo the space - I was told by Rafik, I think Rafik it was, and said that there is a space. I've been trying to find out where that space is - that working space because I am not - I don't know that it does exist and it's accessible so...



Avri Doria: And even if you find it you won't be - have - well you might because you're in ALAC. Somehow ALAC people got access but those of us that aren't ALAC might not have access yet.

Carlton Samuels: Okay maybe...

((Crosstalk))

Carlton Samuels: ...maybe then we can fix it. If some have access, I mean, we can fix it.

Avri Doria: Good luck.

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak: I'm sorry, so...

Carlton Samuels: Rafik, you have something to say?

Rafik Dammak: Yes, yeah, it's in the (conference) now; it's in the ALAC space so maybe Gisella or - and Karla can help us for to fix this problem for people who from GNSO are outside ALAC to access to the - to our working group space in the (conference).

Carlton Samuels: Can we just post it to the...

Karla Valente: Yeah. Rafik, this is Karla. So I don't have access to the wiki either. The problem is that the wiki was - when they transferred the wiki to the new system they transferred under the ALAC umbrella instead of, you know, putting up, you know, stand alone. So this is why people that have access to ALAC space have also access to our working space.

But people like myself and GNSO and others that are not part of ALAC don't have the access. And I already requested a few times for the IT group to

change that. And they are, you know, just swamped and been delayed in doing that for which I apologize. I'm going to follow up with them again and see.

I asked them specifically to change the working space so we all would have access like we had before instead of individually granting access to the different team members. But I will follow up with them again today to see, you know, why this hasn't been done.

Carlton Samuels: Okay thank you Karla. Avri - oh sorry, Cheryl, hello.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Karla said a lot of what I was going to say. This is an IT issue and Karla needs to be very assertive in making sure they get it right because it was right and if it's not now it should be.

Regardless of that any of the spaces, regardless of whether they're housed in ALAC now or as they were before openly all have comment buttons so there's - unless they've really stuffed it up there's no reason why - well so it may not be direct edit pages, you know, we should be able to still proceed in the interim.

And, Avri, you should still have had global access from the early days so that needs to be looked into as well from an IT perspective...

Avri Doria: Yes.

((Crosstalk))

Carlton Samuels: Thank you, Cheryl. Avri.

Avri Doria: Yeah, Cheryl, first of all, no, I never got that; no matter how many times you asked them to give it to me they never did because, you know, they're who they are and I'm who I am. And that's - but that's beside the point.

I hope that when we get this access - and I don't care whether it's in ALAC space or some other open space - that we have the same level of edit capability and that especially any of these team leaders have the ability to, you know, add people's access to, you know, edit, to create new pages, etcetera.

You know, I haven't been working under the new regime. It's obviously a lot more controlled than the old regime used to be. As I say I've been knocking on the door for six months without being allowed entrance. So I'm just hoping that when they finally resolve it they resolve it in a way that's open and allows people to actually work. Thanks.

Carlton Samuels: Thank you, Avri. No more questions? Any other comments - oh Olivier you just raised your hand.

Olivier Crepin-LeBlond: Thank you, Carlton. I just wanted to echo what Avri has just said. And I have had many discussions with (Heidi) about this problem of privileges for editing pages and so on - editing community pages and it's something which they're still working on. It appears as though these are sort of teething troubles. But they are taking time so we'll just put more pressure. Thank you.

Carlton Samuels: Okay thank you. I'm just going to put the work - the address in - this is where I think it is just in case and folks can get into it and see. Can we go then to the next report? This one is the one D, E and F; it has to do with applications, methods and framework of coordinations of the assistance.

Elaine Pruis: Thank you, this is Elaine Pruis. So I'll be leading the E and F. And I don't have much of a report this morning. I have lots of questions that I feel need to be answered before I can actually proceed with the work. And the first one is minor, it's - there's a typo in D. I'm wondering if you could help me sort that out.

It says (unintelligible) established methods for applicants to out assistance...

Carlton Samuels: Oh.

((Crosstalk))

Elaine Pruis: ...what that's supposed to say?

Carlton Samuels: I can tell you that in a minute. But carry on while I get to the...

((Crosstalk))

Elaine Pruis: And then the next item is probably for Karla. I know there was a board resolution establishing a fund for - I think for these particular tasks. Karla, do you remember what that is specifically?

Karla Valente: A board resolution - I'm sorry, can you be more clear?

Elaine Pruis: I think there was some - I think there was like \$200,000 were set aside for a position - a staff position that would coordinate...

Karla Valente: I don't think there was a board resolution on that. I think that there is some money in the (unintelligible) for developing, you know, that specific - I'll call it project; it's not quite a project. But specifically to developing this area once we have a recommendation. But the allocation of the money has not been specified on how.

Elaine Pruis: Okay. I guess that's (unintelligible)...

Karla Valente: The only board resolution that we have right now that is - has something to deal with, you know, an action item is to put together a space, a Webpage or a space which we have a list of the applicants in need of support and the organizations that are willing to provide support.

And this is something that we are going to be working on now and, you know, verify how we can best implement that.

Elaine Pruis: Okay so is there somebody who's actually working on that at this point or is it still just a concept? Is there someone I can coordinate with on that?

Karla Valente: I'm going to be the point person on this one.

Elaine Pruis: Okay.

Carlton Samuels: Elaine, just to answer your question the missing word is seek - to seek out assistance.

Elaine Pruis: Okay thank you.

Carlton Samuels: So the missing word is to seek - S-E-E-K.

Elaine Pruis: Okay.

Carlton Samuels: Thanks for catching that.

Elaine Pruis: Sure. Okay and then for Item F it says, "Propose and establish methods for coordinating cooperation among qualified applicants." It seems to me that this cannot take place until the applications are actually published after the initial screening. Is that correct?

Carlton Samuels: Well yes. I mean, you would have to have a list of qualified applicants before you can. But I would suppose - and this is just me speaking here off the top of my head - it might be useful that you have the methods and then once you have a qualified list you can put it against that.

So I'm suggesting that maybe you could come up with something - some kind of framework that then could be applied against qualified applicants.

((Crosstalk))

Elaine Pruis: ...that there be a template of a clearing house for each of these items and as you said we could just apply that same process once these applicants are announced. I'm just trying to think of the timing if we should make some sort of efforts to publicize or announce that we're looking for applicants that might want to work together beforehand.

Carlton Samuels: Oh well that's one method. I would say that's one method, start the ball rolling where you say here are applicants who are going to be in the pool. You can presume that they might have some compelling reason that they will get through. So yes I think that's perfectly reasonable. But Avri's hand is up; she may have something to say about that. Avri.

Avri Doria: Yeah, hi. I was going to say something similar. And I think once we get a little further on C, G and I think definitely is for D, E, F I think starting - once we have the basic shape of what we're doing and especially once A, B has sort gotten somewhere down the road with the criteria, although we don't really need to get that far, to basically start having prospective applicants.

And - because there sort of is a chicken and egg in all of these is some of our applicants may not be applicants unless they get some assistance whether it's financial, whether it's assistance in kind.

And so I think we can't wait to start doing the matching, to start making the arrangements, to start pulling things together until they've applied because by then we'll have already missed those who couldn't apply except for the help that we're trying to provide so I think we have to have a mechanism.

And obviously you don't get help unless you've applied but you can certainly have - or as you're applying - but you can certainly have, you know, letters of agreement or, you know, memos of understanding.

I mean, that's legal stuff and obviously we're not doing legal stuff but perhaps at some point we are establishing a memo of understanding between, you know, Provider X and prospective Applicant Y. And we're helping them come to an agreement that allows Applicant Y to actually be an applicant.

So I don't think we can wait until they are applicants to do stuff; I think we've got to, you know, work with prospective applicants that we reach out to.  
Thanks.

Carlton Samuels: Okay.

Elaine Pruis: Yeah, okay so I think my confusion was around the statement, qualified applicants, and now I'm seeing that that means qualified according to our specifications rather than qualified according to past ICANN's initial evaluation so I get it.

And then the final question I had is about this actual charter; has this charter - are we still discussing it? And if so I'm wondering at what point will we discuss it? Is that happening today?

Carlton Samuels: Oh maybe I can take a stab at answering that for you. We've really passed the charter discussion - we've decided that we are going to look at - we are going to work as a team and try to cover all of the elements in the charters proposed by the ALAC as well as the GNSO approved one.

We call it a unionized charter if you look in the window; that's what that is. And we're just simply going to develop the work as we think reasonable and rational and come out with some things.

It is up to the ALAC to endorse the things that they are - are - okay with. And it's up to the GNSO. That's the approach - that's the working approach we're using right now.

Elaine Pruis: Okay so this hasn't been formally accepted by the group?

Carlton Samuels: No...

((Crosstalk))

Elaine Pruis: ...this as a - okay. Okay I understand the concept of trying to put the two together and working from there, I think that's excellent. I am very concerned about Point Number 2 where we've removed the statement, "No delays for the program would result from our work."

So I'm wondering if that's - if someone could explain why that would be removed?

Carlton Samuels: It was my draft. I just look at the unionized charter and I said we were going to work to do what we can best. And I don't think that was germane to it at all. That was my own impression of what it meant.

Elaine Pruis: Okay.

Carlton Samuels: The commitment is to work as fast as we can to give out as much as we can and move the thing ahead. We shouldn't be bounded by that at all. We will give what we have when we have it.

Alan Greenberg: There are hands up.

Carlton Samuels: I'm looking for it now. There's Evan, Avri, Alan. Evan.



Evan Leibovitch: Hi there. I guess I can put my hand down, Carlton, because you just answered what I was going to say.

Carlton Samuels: All right, thank you Evan. Alan.

Alan Greenberg: Avri was first but I was going to comment on the do not delay. If you want me to do that I'll do that first.

((Crosstalk))

Carlton Samuels: Please, please go ahead.

Alan Greenberg: Avri, go ahead.

Avri Doria: Okay what I was going to say is the do not delay I would say is a political sentiment that differs in GNSO folks from ALAC folks. And I think the absence of it is - in the statement is actually relatively meaningless. I think that we are not going to have the power to delay, this group per se; ALAC may - I don't know, I can't judge. This group doesn't have the power to delay.

I believe that this group has to work full speed ahead to make sure we've got stuff in place by the time they start up. If things get delayed, you know, by acts of God whether or ALAC/GAC so be it; there's nothing this group can do.

So I - and maybe this is similar to what Carlton said but, you know, I don't think that that statement makes any difference at all. You know, GNSO puts it in there because their political statement is an absolute nothing must delay, nothing, nothing, nothing and most of us that are GNSO-oriented think so.

ALAC has a political view that says no, you've got to get it right first. Getting it done quickly without getting it done right make no sense. You know, perhaps the at large part of me sees some sense in that.

But for this group I think all that matters is we've got to be in place as quickly as possible so that when things start up, they start up and this group, per se, can't delay anything. It doesn't have that kind of weight. Thanks.

Carlton Samuels: Thank you Avri. I support that fully. Alan.

Alan Greenberg: Yes, I'll give a slightly different slant on that. Part of it was Avri said. The statement was definitely added by some people in the GNSO and taking it out will inflame the issue. I'm not sure there's a lot of merit in that.

It was deemed to be redundant because the original motion - I mean, our wording already had an implication of that. And the original board motion way back in wherever it was - in Nairobi or something - said all of this was presupposed on do not delay.

So I think it is redundant and I think it inflames - will inflame people to take it out. But I don't think really - I agree with Avri. It doesn't make any sense. We don't have the power to delay no matter what we were to recommend.

I mean, if our recommendation says it's going to take another seven months to put this in place, do not, under any conditions, release gTLDs to anyone else until this gets done. Nobody's going to listen. It may be sad but it's true. So...

Man: Well, again, I (unintelligible). This - what I put together is something for us to work and work towards. I'm not suggesting that this - anybody's going to hog it up. I'm suggesting this is a working group who's gotten down to work and we should work at full steam ahead. That was the thinking in my head. But I...

Alan Greenberg: I would - I understand. It's - we treat it as a slap in the face to have it added. They're going to treat it as a slap in the face to have it taken out. Decide who wants the slap more.

Man: You're right about that. Elaine, you have a...

Elaine Pruis: Yes, so - thank you. Thanks for the explanation. I can think of at least two reasons to leave it in. The first one is that's it's been the drafting from the board. The second is I remember from discussions in 2010 amongst the working group we did decided that was a consensus position to have that phrase in there.

And I think it will be - I think it will cause some issues and like it is right now, it's causing a distraction from our actual work. So...

Man: (This is)...

Elaine Pruis: I under- and removing it doesn't imply that we believe the opposite is true, maybe amongst this working group but that was my initial response to seeing it ty- crossed out that we believe that our work doesn't necessarily need to be done in time for the launch and that it is possible to delete things if necessary to get our work done. So I would like to leave it in there for those reasons. Thank you.

Man: Okay, well you know, as I said, I really don't have anything. My point is that the work that I see us doing is not predicated on having everything in place for the launch. So I didn't think that we - this team should have been bounded by that and that's why I - it was just common sense to me, that if you're going to work on these issues, like you said, there's that (B) issue, for example, or (F) issue.

It's going to happen after the launch. It's going to happen and it really doesn't make too much sense but then that's just me. I'm perfectly willing as the author of this to remove the strikeout. And it - to me, it's not worth a hill of beans. Alex.

Alex Gakaru: Yes, Alex speaking. I think Avri has just given the answer on the chat window. She says...

Man: Yes, I see Avri says leave it in with brackets around it. That's fine.

((Crosstalk))

Alex Gakaru: ...is a (conservative) (unintelligible) of the...

Man: That's fine. That's not a problem. It's fine. Avri, you still want to speak?

Avri Doria: Yes. And one other part of that recommendation and we all promise to never, ever talk about it again.

Man: Well, Avri, I'm with you on this but I - my colleagues, of course, it's on their honor.

Man: Is there a way to put up two checks?

Man: Yes. So in - I will tell you what? In - before the next meeting I will edit this and do as Avri suggested - put it around in brackets and that should - hopefully that will, you know, be satisfactory.

I have to tell you now that I have to withdraw. It's 15th of the hour where I am and I have to withdraw. Thank you all for coming on. I'm going to turn it over to Rafik now to carry on to you all. Bye.

Rafik Dammak: Thank you (unintelligible). Okay, I think we can move to the work team I think in a new (vision) or you want - you have more comments? \

Elaine Pruis: No, I'm done. Thank you.

Rafik Dammak: Okay thanks. Is Tony here on the call?

Tony Harris: Yes, I'm here.

Rafik Dammak: Okay, so because it's your - now it's your work team, about the \$100,000 (basic) fees. Go ahead.

Tony Harris: Yes, well I have a very successful working team. It's just me. But it will be - there won't be much (defense) in our discussions. So it'll make working quite easy. I don't have that many to report today. I just have to basically, you know, think this out because I've heard Alan say several times, and I think he has a (great) point, that this is, (although) it leads nowhere, but nonetheless, sometimes these exercises have to be done and go on record as having being presented regardless of our limited expectations of success.

So I would ask the other people on the call and the working group in general to be patient with me for a few days if I can come up with some ideas on this. And, of course, anybody who wants to welco- to add or become a part of this team would be most welcome.

Perhaps I could stimulate that if I send an initial idea or a proposal and then somebody else might be interested and jump in. We'll see. That's all I have to say today.

Rafik Dammak: Thank you Tony. I guess we can move now to the last work team led by Andrew who is here, no?

Andrew Mack: Yes.

Rafik Dammak: Oh, okay.

Andrew Mack: I am. Absolutely. Perfect. Yes, I am in a - well, we're not quite in the same situation as Tony. We'll be larger probably than one person. But - and I had

this brief conversation with Eric and I'm - Tijani has agreed that he will help us a little bit which is great.

And if there are other people - who especially people who would come from the IDN world that would be terrific if they would like to join. And we'll just be starting up this week. I was out of pocket pretty much last week, so just begun our work.

Rafik Dammak: Just (unintelligible), maybe you can introduce what the idea of this - what do you think the - so about the work that should be done in this work team maybe to give more ideas to people here in the (unintelligible).

Andrew Mack: Sure. What we've been doing - I mean, we've been talking about it over the course of, you know, the last few months. And there - the idea to try to figure out how we can support the buildup of IDN's and underserved scripts as part of this process and whether there are ways to do this that will achieve everybody's aim so that it's - to try to do it in ways that I don't know - that will be budget neutral that once (will let) down, all the things that other people have been discussing.

And at the same time recognize that there are large numbers of people that once you participate who don't necessarily come from the Latin script (world). So literally just beginning - you know, beginning the next stage thinking on this, but all of the stuff that we've been working on for the last six months on this - in this space.

We had two other - we had a couple of different proposals in this but there may be some other things that we can work on and we kept this conversation going for awhile and I think there's - open to new ideas. I'll have (Morgan) get back to you with later - later Rafik. It's literally starting to get back up again.

Rafik Dammak: Yes, you have more comments?

Andrew Mack: (No that is fine).

Rafik Dammak: Okay. So maybe if there're any comments from the participants in the (conference call)? Okay, I don't see any raised hands. So it's just - we don't have - I think that we make - we made the round of all work teams. So just maybe to ask the participants in the working group.

So we may have working sessions for the working group in San Francisco meeting. I don't think that we need a public session now because just really in the early stage of our work but if there are any comments now they are welcome. Avri, please go ahead.

Avri Doria: I had a comment, not specifically on that though I do agree with you. We don't need a public session although it would be good, you know, if we get a chance somewhere other to just sort of say, "Hey folks, we're still here. We're still working," and - but this is the point I wanted to get to.

And we still need to do further outreach to get some new blood and some new talent into these. And so I'm wondering whether it might not be a good activity for each of the groups before the next meeting to sort of each of the teams to look at say, "What kind of other talent do we need to bring in to the groups?" Making - maybe we could each make a short bullet list of, you know, we need accountants, we need, you know, registrars that know, you know, A, B, C.

We need (et cetera). maybe like three bullets each at the most of things we need and then perhaps we can do another outreach whether it's (Karla) or, you know, the secretariats of GNSO and ALAC, can basically help us do an outreach for, you know, other people to come join our efforts.

You know, because that was one of the things that we did say at the charter time and we did say in discussions. Of course we realized we need some extra, you know, umph to be able to do some of these tasks. And so perhaps

we should be planning, you know, in San Francisco do to some of that outreach to, you know, have one of us able to stand up at a lot of different meetings to stand up in the public session, to stand up, you know, to maybe even have a leaflet that we hand out saying we're working on this. It's important work and we need people with the following skills. Come join us.

And I think it would be good if we could find a time perhaps on Thursday to have our meetings that would, A, be announced on that leaflet if we were to create such a leaflet and be just to, you know, coordinate among ourselves in terms of what we've heard, discussions we've had.

You know, because all of us, you know, probably without even thinking about it, will be behaving somewhat ambassadorial about our work and selling it to people and marketing it and, you know, buttonholing people and saying it's important.

I know it's a part of every conversation I had. I was talking to somebody yesterday about a con- some contract work I would do them - for them and I ended the conversation, you know, and there's this (jazz) group and you guys would be really great and - as people to help us in that effort.

So I know this isn't what we were planning to talk about. Come on. And I expect a lot of us are going to do that sort of thing. So, you know, to sort of regroup and that. So that was what I was going to suggest. Thanks.

Rafik Dammak: Thank you Avri. So if I understand, you are recommending that we should - to outreach to get - to bring more expertise and to be - put our working groups. So and then if every work team that may suggest some expertise that they may need for their work and maybe we should do that for - since now (here in) San Francisco we think.



By the way, we may ha- I may have to - I'm not sure - that I may have to make an update to the GNSO council in the San Francisco meeting. And I agree that we may also need to look at to outreach other SO and ACs.

But I'm not sure yet about how we can proceed for that. And I saw in the chart that (Karla) suggested that we make an announcement (for) not added during famous Kurt's presentation. I think it can have some effect in the audience to bring more people.

Okay, I see Alex, Tijani and Elaine. Alex, please go ahead.

Alex Gakaru: Thank you. As Avri, I really don't feel like I have much more to say. She summarized everything I was going to say. But just for the sake of Andrew and his IDN group, I think part of our outreach right now should begin with members in the community who are IDN based that could help in his workgroup - the IDN group.

I remember we spoke about very many groups last year. And so that will (run) of (our site) but what Madame Avri just said. Thank you.

Rafik Dammak: Thank you Alex. Please Tijani. Go ahead. I think he has maybe a problem with the mute.

Tijani Ben Jemaa: Do you hear me? No.

Rafik Dammak: Yes. Please go ahead.

Tijani Ben Jemaa: You hear me?

Avri Doria: Yes.

Tijani Ben Jemaa: You hear me?

Avri Doria: Yes.

Tijani Ben Jemaa: Okay. Okay, thank you. So I think - I thought that we had to finish our work before San Francisco if we wanted to be taken into account for the next round. That's why I think that we have to rush now, we have to work very fast, very hard to - at least to give substance to the board and to ICANN before or at the San Francisco meeting.

If we don't manage to do so we have to continue I agree and we have to make people know that we are continuing, we are working hard, and any form of outreach is acceptable.

I think that we have to take the floor and the open microphone sessions to explain or to say that we are here, we are there, we are working, we, as Avri said - and if we have to meet, we will ha- we will meet alone and not do a public session this time.

We can make a public session if we finish our work and then we will present our work. If we don't I don't think it is necessary to make a public session.  
Thank you.

Rafik Dammak: Thank you. Yes, just - yes, (in this sense) - but we have a very tight timeline if we can do something. I think that we have just one month before the San Francisco meeting if that make it - complicated. Elaine, please go ahead.

Elaine Pruis: Thanks. Just some ideas on how to bring in some new talent. Now the (fellowship) recipients - do we have a mailing list where we could directly mail then and invite them to join our group? Does anyone know that?

(Anna): This is (Anna). I think there is a Facebook (page) and I can talk to the manager of the alumni and ask that.

Elaine Pruis: Okay. I think that...

((Crosstalk))

(Anna): (For us) - something but (not specifically). Would you like to write an email I can forward? Would you like me to write it?

Elaine Pruis: Just an invitation to join our group. Maybe, you know, put our charter in and say that we need help in these areas and it's a good way to start being involved.

(Anna): Yes, okay. What area specifically would you like to highlight?

Elaine Pruis: I...

Rafik Dammak: Sorry, which - sorry. Which alumni? You mean about the (fellows)?

(Anna): Yes.

Rafik Dammak: I think it - maybe we can talk to (Janice). I think they have a (ming) social network, so.

Man: Why don't we do that when we've made the determination what skills we're looking for just to give them something specific?

(Anna): Yes, I think that would be more effective if we are specific about what we want instead of just saying join.

Man: I think it's a good idea. I think we'll get better - we'll get a better fit if we finish up the exercise that I think I heard everyone suggesting, which is to do a little bit of an audit of what we'd like and then come back and make a master list.

Rafik Dammak: Yes, that's right. I think that we need before to define what are our needs before trying to outreach people. It makes more sense. Sebastien, please go ahead.

Sebastien Bachollet: Thank you. Yes, I want to just - to suggest that maybe the working group could have a - I will not say a leaflet - but one page with different sub working groups and this which is a - during the Brussels meeting between (the board) and GAAC as the subject is one of the twelve subjects that GAAC wants to discuss with the board.

I think it's important that this working group says where you are and what you are doing and a summary of one page could be useful from my point of view. Thank you. And by the way, if you need somebody to distribute it, I will be at your - I can do that for you.

Rafik Dammak: Thank you Sebastien. That's a great idea. I think that we need to prepare. We have maybe a few weeks before - that we can be ready before the meeting. Okay, (Sandra). Please go ahead.

(Sandra): Yes, hi. I just wanted to follow up on a suggestion that was made previously and I believe that was so that we have G- ccNSO as well as GAAC members join us so that we have their perspective as well.

I don't know if we are still going forward with that in light of the unionized charter that we're going ahead with now or if - I don't know (if the receipt) is on that. Is that something that we're still looking to propose or not? Thank you.

Rafik Dammak: (Sandra), I'm not sure but I got your point. You are asking if we can have people from the - from GAAC in our working group.

(Sandra): I'm asking about proposals - is still on given the fact that we are now going forward with a unionized charter.

Rafik Dammak: I'm just a little bit - which proposal do you mean?

(Sandra): Well we had initially said, right, because there were two separate charters that we will ask different sub organizations to join us in order so that we can add some weight to our proposal. So I don't know if we're still going to do that or not, rather than at the stage of the Brussels meeting, just give them a leaflet, actually invite them to be part of the process.

Rafik Dammak: Okay yes. So add other SOs and ACs. Yes, yes. I'm not sure about how we can manage that but anyway - okay, we have Tijani, Cheryl and (Anna). Please go ahead Tijani.

Tijani Ben Jemaa: Just to explain - to explain what (Sandra) said, it was - really it was one of our hopes to have other (unintelligible) join our working group. And I think it is still working. If we have other (unintelligible) that wants to join our working group, it will give more weight to our work and our thought will be better received.

Rafik Dammak: To respond to that, when we started - please (to hang) your mute - thank you. When we started this working group, we sent a request to the ccNSO and GAAC. Just we have only one interview from the ccNSO and one participant from the GAAC. And he was inactive. So we can try again but I'm not sure about the outcome. Now Cheryl. Please go ahead.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thank you. I (note) Sebastien's hand is still up. Did he not want to speak? I guess not. I was just going to say from a practical point of view and building on what Avri had mentioned like many of you, any number of individual conversations I've had with people, including recently with the current chair of the ccNSO have gone to the wonderful world of JAS issues.

And I would think practically before our San Francisco meeting, there is a snowball's chance (in) hell of ccNSO formerly putting anyone into - new blood to the mix. I think what we - each and everyone of us can do is try and get

individual ccNSO members involved with - of the various CCs. And that would be great in preparation.

But what we might want to do is ask the chair of the charter and organization who does at least kick (these things) around the (pulse) and is being continually involved in these workgroup meetings, i.e. (Olivia) now. If he would be so kind as to raise that in an ACSO chair's level for discussion because I must say I had a somewhat robust and extended conversation trying to explain what I would've thought was pretty much the basics in fundamentals to some members of the ccNSO council on this matter.

And there is an awful lot of homework to do before we get to our end game if we're not going to be stopped getting to our end game at all.

Rafik Dammak: Thank you Cheryl. Alan, please go ahead. I think you will have the last word of this meeting.

Alan Greenberg: I'm going to be very quick. I was going to say much of what Cheryl said. In terms of the ccNSO she has a better grasp of it than I do and we know there's no way that the GAAC as a whole is going to endorse us and co-charter us. That just hasn't happened in the past and is not likely to happen on this.

You know, they may say we support your work but that's about as far as it's going to go. And to be honest, the last thing we need is another chartering organization and yet another version of the charter.

Woman: Yes.

Alan Greenberg: So I - you know, supportive individuals is about as most - much as we can hope for. If we can - if we know anyone who is like minded, get them to participate. Let's not worry about anything more than that. Thank you.

Rafik Dammak: If so - if I understand your qu- it seems that it's better that you can individuals and trying to have other constit- SOs or SEs, so...

((Crosstalk))

Alan Greenberg: I think it's a waste of our effort right now to be trying that.

Rafik Dammak: Trying what? Sorry.

Alan Greenberg: To be trying to get formal endorsement or co-chartering from other organizations.

Rafik Dammak: So you don't advise that we try to get formal endorsement?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: No. Don't waste our time. Just get on with the job at hand.

Alan Greenberg: Thank you Cheryl.

((Crosstalk))

Rafik Dammak: Okay. Just we're trying...

Man: I think we're al- we're over our time already and we have (much) to do, so.

Man: Yes.

Rafik Dammak: Yes, I think so. So we can try to have some (individuals). Anyway, I think that we are already run out of time by eight minutes but thank you all for attending this conference call and I advise everybody to work on the mailing list and the different work teams. So at least if we can have - we can reach some level or work before the San Francisco meetings. Thank you everybody for joining this conference call. Thanks.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Bye-bye.

Man: Rafik. Thank you everybody.

Man: (Good).

END