GNSO

Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC) Constituency Operations Work Team 04 September 2009 at 13:00 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Operations Steering Committee Community (OSC) Constituency Operations Work Team teleconference **04 September** 2009 at 13:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ops-20090904.mp3

On page:

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/index.html#sep

Participants present:

Olga Cavalli - work team chair – NCA
Michael Young - Work team vice chair - Registry c. (joined after roll call)
Charles Gomes - Registry c.
Victoria McEvedy - IPC
Claudio Digangi - IPC
Krista Papac - Registrar
SS Kshatriya - Individual

ICANN Staff

Glen de Saint Géry - GNSO Secretariat Gisella Gruber-White Robert Hoggarth - Policy Staff Julie Hedlund – Policy Staff

Absent apologies

Rafik Dammak – NCUC Tony Harris – ISP

Gisella Gruber-White: Good morning, good afternoon to everyone. On today's call we have Olga

Cavalli, Krista Papac and from staff we have Rob Hoggarth, Glen De Saint Gery and myself, Gisella Gruber-White and Victoria McCEvedy has just

joined us.

Olga Cavalli: Welcome (Victoria).

Victoria McEvedy: Hi Olga, hi Krista

Woman: Good afternoon for you.

Page 2

Olga Cavalli:

Okay thank you for joining this morning, this afternoon. Thank you Krista, it's

very early for you. I appreciate that.

We have made very interesting progress during this week. I am really very happy. And I would like to review with you where we are, what we need to

hopefully finish our task.

And also would like to review with you what to do in order to achieve the goals that this date that (Chuck) suggested. He said that in one of his email after our conference call last Friday.

He said that if we submit our draft document to the OSC by September 10, which is next Thursday, we would be able to put it on time to the board, of course GNSO first and then to the board.

So I have been exchanging some emails on information with some of you and with our email list. And so far SS did send a complete document with a compiled document about his sub-task one...

Woman: (Unintelligible) has joined the call, sorry.

Olga Cavalli: Sorry?

Gisella SS has joined the call. Sorry Olga.

(SS): Yes, SS here, I'm ready.

Olga Cavalli: Great (SS), welcome, good afternoon.

(SS): I'm here. Good afternoon.

Olga Cavalli: Well thank you. Thank you for joining. And I was just reviewing where we are

and what...

(SS): Fact I was hearing you Olga. I'm here probably about two minutes in the

meeting. I was hearing you, what you said.

Olga Cavalli: Great. Just reviewing in general. And I would like to go through the sub-task

issues with you. And see how can we move forward. We have comments

from (Chuck) for (Victoria)'s documents, for (SS)'s document.

I have been exchanging some information with Krista and (Tony). And we, do

we have (Julie) on the line? No.

Rob: No Olga, (Julie) and (Chuck) are on a separate call.

Olga Cavalli: I know.

Rob: They were hoping that it would be over. But I'm not optimistic that that will be

over in 30 minutes.

Olga Cavalli: No, yes (Chuck) told me and that's okay. He has some conflicts today with

three meetings at the same time.

That's fine. I just wanted to check with her about Sub-Task 4, but I can - we

can do that in our mailing list.

So we could start with (SS). (SS) I saw your document. I just responded. I

read it this morning. I think it's a very good document. I think (Chuck) was so

kind to add some formatting changes, which I, if you did, I agree on them.

So could you please tell us what you did and how you see us moving forward

with your sub-task?

(SS): Yes I did go through (Chuck)'s, his edits. I had replied to him. I fully agree

with him and appreciated that in a short time you could do that.

And I don't have any (dedarvasin) because he could look from a little higher

level then I prefer. So that's really nice, (then).

If any other of the group number gives input, that's welcome. Otherwise after

the meeting I'll correct my, this document, the edits. And circle it, check and

go to (unintelligible).

Olga Cavalli: Thank you very much (SS).

(SS): So from my side it's (some time).

Olga Cavalli: I think it's a great document. I read it. I saw (Chuck)'s edits. I think your

document and his edits are perfectly fine because they both make it a bit

more nicer document.

So I totally agree with him. It would be good if the rest of the working team

can take a look at it. It's not long. It's very easy to read. And it's very fine,

organized. So you won't have difficulties in reviewing it.

And if you have any comments it could be good to have them perhaps by

Monday. Thank you (SS). Any questions, comments to (SS)?

Victoria McEvedy: Yes I would just like to say if it's...

Olga Cavalli: Go ahead (Victoria).

Victoria McEvedy: I'd like to congratulate you on the work that you've done. It looks fantastic. I

had a very quick read of it. I know I keep saying that I will do this. But I do

have comments to make.

Page 5

And I'm afraid that I'm somewhat under the - I'm so snowed under a little. And

I'll try and get to those in the next day or so.

I'm at the moment working of course on the comments that have come in on

Sub-Task 1.2. But I will comment (SS) and thank you.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you very much.

(SS): I will, (Victoria), I'll wait for your comments. And then incorporate all those

things into my final document.

Victoria McEvedy: Thank you.

(SS): Please send it as quickly as you can - could.

Victoria McEvedy: Yes.

(SS): Thank you.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you (Victoria). Any other comments or questions to (SS)? So (Victoria)

we look forward to seeing all your comments.

And can you tell us you received comments from (Michael). You (Victoria) are

going to Sub-Task 1.2. You received comments from myself, from (Michael)

from (Chuck) or...

Victoria McEvedy: Yes I've had comments from most members of the working group. And I'm

currently working through all comments and incorporating them, looking to

identify the common issues.

Working different opinions into the draft. And I'm afraid this is something that

take, needs care and consideration to do it well. And I'm actually working on it

as we speak.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Victoria McEvedy: But it will take a little more time. So I'm afraid that I won't complete that by

today. But I will try and finish it, well certainly as quickly as possible and by

early next week. And I'm afraid I can't really take that much further.

Olga Cavalli: Well that's okay, I understand. And it's, and you really, I commend you

because you really did a very complete and detailed document.

And I'm sure that you will ref...

Michael Young: (Michael) joining.

Olga Cavalli: Hi (Michael).

Michael Young: Hi, sorry guys for being late.

Olga Cavalli: Well good morning. We were just reviewing (Michael) all the sub-tasks. (SS),

sorry (Victoria) for interrupting you, just a brief update to (Michael).

(SS) did send a document, a compiled document with his sub-task draft

proposal for recommendations. (Chuck) commented on them. So you're to

review them and comment perhaps by Monday, that could be great.

Now (Victoria) is telling us her progress with her document. She received

comments from many of the working team members. And she's working on it.

That's what her telling us in this moment. (Victoria) please go ahead and

sorry for interrupting you.

Victoria McEvedy: Well I really completed my little report on progress.

Olga Cavalli: Oh yes you did. I'm sorry. Just you're incorporating the comments.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

09-04-09/8:00 am CT Confirmation #8846614

Page 7

Victoria McEvedy: That's right. I do - as I see them it take (class) my email last night. I do think

that while some of the comments are very self-explanatory, I also think it

would be extremely helpful for the sub-task or, you know, including anyone

from the wider working team.

To have a call and discuss the various issues. Because it's all very well to get

sort of rush in comments, but I think that we'd be able to maximize the benefit

of our work if we really truly understand, you know, where people are coming

from.

What are their particular issues? And often when people are working to tight

timeframes to come back with rush in comments, you know, we know it's not

necessarily that you get to the bottom of their real concerns.

And having come all this way and done all this work I think myself that it

would be a real shame not to try and, you know, come up with the best

possible product that we can.

And I think that will come from having some further discuss, you know, at

least one call where we actually talk through the issues where people have,

you know, raised particular questions and what have you. Because it may

well be that we'll find, you know, other solutions.

And, you know, that's when all the creative thinking I think takes place. So I

would like to try and have that call next week once we've had a chance to

circulate the amendments.

And I apologize again that I'm in a way delaying the work. But it's just I have

other commitments. So I am getting to it as quickly as possible. And I am

working on an all day stay. So, you know, there we are.

Page 8

Olga Cavalli:

(Victoria) let me ask you a question. When could we, you're proposing to make a call, which I think it's a great idea. My only concern is the timing.

And I totally agree with you that we have to use this as space for discussing and gathering all the views. In relation with the timing, if we are - we should have our draft document by Thursday hopefully.

When, and the call would be to review your new draft that has incorporated all the comments, am I right?

Victoria McEvedy: I mean yes, I mean and to discuss the comments that have come in to date. I mean but, you know, what I'm doing really is adding, you know, trying to reflect everybody's views.

And I think that that process would be improved if we had the discussion. I mean to be honest I think we could have the discussion before we complete the report.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Victoria McEvedy: And so we could have for example on Monday. And then A, the comments that have come in we can talk to them. And, you know, whatever comes out on the call can go into the report which could then be circulated.

That would work for me just as well as doing it the other way around. I am conscious of the time. But I don't think we should be so driven by time at the expense, you know, so that we've sort of done a half job at this late stay, you know, at this late stage.

And, you know, at the end of the day as we know just from being on other working groups, things really, you know, you just really end up with a much better product if you really have tried to incorporate everybody's issues.

Michael Young:

So (Victoria) if, it's (Michael). If I'm trying to understand this, you just basically want to do a walk through with the larger group of the comments to make sure that people, effectively the people putting the comments in that their issues or their concerns are addressed in edits.

Victoria McEvedy: Yes, I suppose so. But also to be sure that we really un - that, I was just saying, you know, people often have to make these written comments in haste.

And it's important sometimes to under, you know, once you start talking I think you sometimes understand the values behind the real concerns perhaps behind the comments.

And I'm just concerned that we do understand those particularly with the areas that are most controversial.

Michael Young:

Okay. No, I think that's wise. And it's probably the fastest way for you to move ahead. I also agree with what you're saying that there's no point in getting something that's half competed out.

It's - I'd rather push for more time if we need to. But I do think the way you're suggesting the approach is probably as fast as you can possibly achieve it.

Victoria McEvedy: Great. So are there other thoughts about that? Olga do you have a thought about perhaps having a call?

Olga Cavalli:

Yes, I totally agree with you and (Michael) that we should try to achieve a very nice document. We just had this idea which if you recall the two or three calls before I was not totally convinced that we had this time to prepare this document.

But then the group wanted to do it. And that's fine. And I think it was a great idea. And we have been moving towards that direction.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

09-04-09/8:00 am CT

Confirmation #8846614

Page 10

So it's like as I see it it's two different views. You're totally right, we should

achieve a good document and a good outcome.

Or we try to get something perhaps simpler by, and explaining that we are

still doing our job and trying to achieve our goal for Thursday.

But that's something up to the group. I don't have a special inclination for one

or the other one. What I do know is that the working team has done a really

very significant effort in achieving this goal of trying to address a draft

document by Thursday.

So just, this is my comment. If we can make it, fine. If we think it's not enough

and the document needs more revision, then we don't do it by Thursday and

we do it at a timing that we need for achieving it.

But that's only what I'm saying that the effort has been done. Maybe it's a first

step to achieve something better. Not this next week but in the near future.

You know, I don't know if you follow me. So if you think its Monday a good

timing for a call, I'm fine with it. I can participate.

Victoria McEvedy: Well I mean can - I'll just jump in there. I mean I hate to say, you know, just to

touch on what you were saying Olga, I'm - I have to say my own view is that I

think we should complete our work properly rather then rush it and just get

something out.

I mean there will still be a GNSO council. You know, it's membership may

have changed or what have you, but I am not myself, I would be concerned to

half do our work now having come this far.

So my preference is not to, you know, let's see where we get too. But I don't

think the work should suffer for time constraints.

Olga Cavalli: Any other thoughts?

Krista Papac: Hey Olga, it's Krista.

Olga Cavalli: Krista.

Krista Papac: So I like you sort of was a little leery from the beginning of trying to

accomplish this too quickly.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Krista Papac: And I, my preference all along has been to do a thorough job rather then a

getting it done quickly by a certain date. So of course I don't - I also agreed with (Chuck)'s statement where I don't ever want to discourage a group from

getting something done.

I just felt like my personal schedule made it difficult to meet the deadline. And that even if it didn't make a diff - even if I didn't have those challenges as a group to come to a consensus on such a, you know, wide topic in a couple weeks is going to be pretty challenging.

So I vote for getting it done right and, rather then quickly if that's what the group wants.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Krista Papac: I'm going to do whatever I can to help the group, but I think that that's the

better path.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you Krista. Any other comments, (Michael)?

Michael Young:

No, I think I agree with all of what's been said. It sounds like we're aligned here so.

Olga Cavalli:

Okay. Any thoughts on how - one thing that I recall from when we did decide to do this, which is I was not totally convinced that we were going to achieve.

But I think it has been a great exercise anyway. I, one idea that I got from that call is that perhaps we could make a brief bunch of like high recommendation lines.

Not the whole document, not our final end details, (unintelligible) outcome.

Victoria McEvedy: I mean I'm not in favor of like trunk casing or trying to like put half of our work forward. I don't think that will work. I mean I, I mean if you can come up with a really good suggestion of how to do that, I mean I'm happy to look at it Olga if you think there's a way through it.

But I'm very skeptical about that. And I, I'm concerned that they weren't really, you know, some wouldn't stand up without the others and without the justification.

And without the consensus building that needs to go on. And also there's the danger that the rest of the work will never flow through, you know.

And anyway look, I'm happy to look at a proposal if you see some pass through there.

Michael Young:

Well (Victoria) it's (Michael) speaking. I think maybe there's, Olga, and I'm getting the sense what you're thinking of it. But for internallyish (sic) to generate conversation for ourselves because it seems to me that, you know, framework or draft documents or even, you know, something done in point form to start with for us to examine and debate and understand where the recommendations might be going.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

> 09-04-09/8:00 am CT Confirmation #8846614

Page 13

Before somebody commits too much work. For example (Victoria) your

document was an incredible amount of work and very well put together.

But perhaps it would have ultimately saved you a bit of work if what you had

done is taken those recommendations and the reasonings and just done a

very simple draft point form, you know, recommendation justifications in a

shorter form, and gotten some initial feedback. Because if one of them, you

know, seems to be going sideways as far as the group is concerned, it's

better you have that feedback before you invest your time and effort in writing

up too much of the justifications, do you know what I mean?

Victoria McEvedy: Well I hear you. But I mean the reason I did it, I have to be honest, is

because we spent six months arguing about whether we were allowed to do

any of this.

You know, whether or not we should - we were really going to be aiding, you

know, was permissible to add to the board governance committee.

Michael Young:

Yes, I understand what you're saying.

Victoria McEvedy: I really felt I had to...

Michael Young:

I think it's because it's hard for us sometimes to communicate verbally to be

honest. I mean I think if you have taken, I mean when I saw your document,

frankly I understood, you know, English is a first language for me and French

is my second.

But I'm quessing English is your first language as well. And until I saw your

thoughts written out like that, I wasn't getting a lot of your points to that

degree.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

> 09-04-09/8:00 am CT Confirmation #8846614

Page 14

I have a better understanding, I feel like a thorough understanding now of where you're coming from. But I think I would have had that even if you had

done it in a simpler form.

I think the written word is much easier to grasp in some cases. And then you

can build some conversation around that. So, you know, I guess I'm

suggesting for some people that are struggling to make progress that, you

know, it's okay to start out with, you know, a simple recommendation.

And some general point form notes on the justification. I think that will - it

won't hurt the conversation. Ultimately it may not end up saving time. But I

don't think, I think it runs a good chance of saving a bit of time.

Victoria McEvedy: Well I'll take that and, you know, I take your comments and your feedback,

you know, on board. And it's really interesting.

And, you know, it's helpful to hear. So and, you know, while trying to turn this

thing around I will focus on the - in that direction, yes, helpful. Thank you.

Woman: Sorry to interrupt, (Claudio) has joined the call. Thank you.

Olga Cavalli: Hi (Claudio).

(Claudio): Hi.

Olga Cavalli: Good morning. (Claudio) just to brief you what we're discussing. We are

talking about the progress that we have made so far. And we're exchanging

ideas of if we are going to achieve the goal of having a draft document with

our recommendations for the OSC next Thursday.

Which is the due dates for then starting the process to - for it to get to the

board on time for the meeting. Or if we are going to perhaps spend more time

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 09-04-09/8:00 am CT

Confirmation #8846614 Page 15

and do our work with more detail and with more time for reflection and

exchange of ideas.

And we were discussing right now that perhaps you have some ideas about it. And you have participating in commenting (Victoria)'s document. And you

have some other comments to (Julie)'s and (Chuck)'s documents.

So or perhaps you can jump in the conversation later. And then (Victoria) and

(Michael) and myself we were just exchanging some thoughts about it and

also Krista is. She's on the call.

(Claudio):

Sure.

Olga Cavalli:

Okay, maybe we could decide how to move forward and see if we are not

going to achieve the goals for Thursday because we think it's not worth to do

a shorter or simpler job and then go to the more complete outcome.

Then we just don't do it. I don't know. We should just make perhaps some

decisions in this call. Or maybe we can exchange some thoughts in the list

with other members of the working team, so any thoughts?

(Claudio) do you have any idea? If we, are you in favor or just, just to have

your thoughts about it.

(Claudio):

Right.

Olga Cavalli:

Of working in the document for next Thursday or just give us some more time

for reflecting and exchanging more ideas and understanding the comments

that each of us has made through the different sub-working team's

documents.

(Claudio):

I mean I'm okay with giving us more time. I think we have recently made a good deal of progress. So I think we should, I don't think we should rush the process.

So we feel there's a significant downside of I guess it would basically be, most of this was revolving around the September 30 board meeting. Is that, that was sort of...

Olga Cavalli:

Well that's the idea. I must be honest and I said this in the call a few minutes ago. When we decided to rush and prepare this draft document, I was not totally convinced that we could make it.

But the group just said that we want it then it's fine. And I think we made great progress. But I have the feeling from this call that we need more time.

And we shouldn't rush towards next Thursday which should be our deadline for having a draft document to be presented to the OSC. So are we deciding this?

(Claudio): Yes I agree with that. I think, I don't think we should rush either.

Olga Cavalli: (Michael)?

Michael Young: I agree.

Olga Cavalli: Krista?

Krista Papac: I agree.

Olga Cavalli: Okay and (Victoria)?

Victoria McEvedy: I agree.

Olga Cavalli: Okay so it's unanimous. Okay great. So (Victoria) I would say that maybe we

don't need to have a call Monday. Maybe we could stick to the calls on

Friday.

Victoria McEvedy: Yes.

Olga Cavalli: I don't know if you want to go back to the every two weeks conference calls

or we keep the weekly conference call. How do you feel about it, any

comments?

I myself will be available next week, but other week, the week of the 14 of

September, I will be traveling to Geneva. So I won't be available for calling -

for that call on that Friday, which is the 18th.

But for the rest of the time I'm available. Should we keep the weekly

conference call? Do you think it's a good - I think it demands more time. But I

think that the rhythm of the group has been totally different.

Michael Young: I think it tends to move things along. Perhaps what we should do is weekly

calls but just be prepared to run them for 30 minutes if nes - shoot for 30

minutes knowing that we might go over. But book an hour.

Olga Cavalli: Okay any other comments?

(SS): This is (SS). My suggestion Olga is that we meet next Friday. And since you

are not available after that, so after that it becomes bi-weekly, that once in

two weeks.

Olga Cavalli: That's a good idea. My apologies, I didn't ask you if you agree. I'm so sorry.

(SS): It's okay (unintelligible).

Olga Cavalli: If you agree of delaying our process or you have any comments about it.

(SS): No I can agree but do a test to be given to each who, I mean cancel early to

board early, how it meets. So I actually appreciate your suggestion that one.

Which I think (Michael) and (unintelligible) if I'm right the boards have been

supported.

That well it is ready for now or in this next few days, that's the (sense). And

OSC and board works on that.

In the meantime whatever improvement could be done that can

(unintelligible). I (unintelligible).

Olga Cavalli: And my apologies again, I'm so sorry.

(SS): We are not out of the, I mean, the timetable.

Olga Cavalli: Okay so (Victoria).

(Julie): Hello, I'm sorry Olga. This is (Julie). I've just joined.

Olga Cavalli: (Julie) how are you?

(Julie): And (Chuck) will be joining as well.

Olga Cavalli: Great, oh great. (Victoria) could you give us, not thinking about next Monday

having a call. Perhaps we could have a draft document, having in mind that

we could do our next call on next Friday.

Perhaps we could have your document during the week for revision and

maybe we can discuss it on the call next Friday?

Victoria McEvedy: Yes definitely. I'll definitely work towards that. That should be doable.

Olga Cavalli: Right the rest of the group thinks this is a fair idea, reviewing the document

during the week and maybe exchanging some thoughts with (Victoria) on

Friday, any comments?

(Claudio): Yes I think it's a good idea Olga.

Olga Cavalli: Okay.

Michael Young: Olga I have probably a 50/50 chance of making the call on Friday. But I can

certainly look at the documents during the week.

Olga Cavalli: Great, and you can send your comments...

Michael Young: I'll be stripping across Wales on Friday so.

Olga Cavalli: Okay thank you (Michael).

Michael Young: If I can get a signal from where I'm hiking and everything is fine, I'll dial in.

Olga Cavalli: Oh great. Krista one guestion, when do you think that you could share with us

your draft documents?

Krista Papac: Yes so a couple things I was going to comment. My - I have a draft of the

draft.

Olga Cavalli: Yes that's fine.

Krista Papac: It's not quite ready for presentation. But I am, my intention is to work on that

this weekend, finalize, you know, at least have a draft that I can send out to

the group over the weekend.

And then I'd also like to be able to review all the other documents that have

been written and provide comments on those as well.

Page 20

So it's, I don't know if everyone on the call's aware, but it's a long weekend

here in the States. We have a holiday on Monday.

So, you know, I intend to have something out to the group both on my sub-

task 1.3 as well as comments on all the other documents that have been

written by, you know, Monday evening, no later then.

Olga Cavalli: Great.

(Chuck): By the way (Chuck) joined.

Olga Cavalli: (Chuck), good morning. How are you?

(Chuck): I'm good.

Olga Cavalli: (Chuck) just to update you about what we have been discussing in the call.

There's a concern in the group of that we are rushing towards finishing the

draft document for Thursday.

And that maybe we are not getting a good outcome. And we are not having

enough time for discussing and exchanging ideas in a proper way.

So we have decided to, not to work towards next Thursday, having a draft

document to be sent to the OSC instead of going in more detail with more

time, trying to achieve a better outcome.

I would like to ask you if you think this is a good idea. Most of the people that

- all of us in the call thought that that's fine. And I personally when we

decided to rush I thought that it could be difficult.

I, but anyway the group wanted, I agreed. And maybe you have any

comments about this.

(Chuck):

Well Olga as you recall my position was pretty much like yours. I thought it was really aggressive. And might be hard to achieve what we were trying to accomplish.

But I was willing to work with others to try and do it because I mean if we can do it quicker that's nice. But certainly we don't want to compromise on quality to do that.

And so I think I'm on board with the rest of you.

Olga Cavalli:

Great. So we thought about, we also discussed about having our conference calls every Friday or bi-weekly. And what we have I exchange or have decided is have a call next Friday.

And then perhaps take to the bi-weekly usual agenda. What my feeling is that this weekly calls have been putting more dynamic in the group, and also this exercise of trying to achieve a draft document by next Thursday helped somehow to us to achieve some, at least some draft documents.

Which I think has been a good exercise. Do you have any comments, any ideas about this next week and then bi-weekly scheduling?

(Chuck): It sounds okay to me. Has (Julie) joined as well?

Olga Cavalli: Yes, she's in the call now.

(Chuck): Yes she and I were on the same previous call. That's why I ask. And so she

jumped on before I did.

(Julie): Yes I got on before you. Sorry (Chuck).

(Chuck):

Yes no that's okay. I needed just a quick biological break. Because I had been in another meeting just before that one. So anyway yes, so that should be fine Olga.

Olga Cavalli:

Okay any comments so far. Great so I propose the following. (SS) has already sent the draft document that has been commended by (Chuck) and by myself.

So the rest of the working team, please look at it, make your comments having in mind that now we have more time. And we can be more detailed. And go into deeper thoughts that (sweet).

Then (Victoria) will share hers, including all - of course she already prepared her document that we had been sent comments. (Chuck), myself, (Claudio), I think (Tony) and some others.

I don't remember right now everyone. So she has a lot of work to do to try to incorporate all those comments. She has prepared a very detailed and long document.

And she will be sharing this new version during the week. Also Krista will share here draft document of her sub-task during the next week.

So hopefully by next Friday we could have some, we could review these draft versions, although we can also exchange some ideas in the emails during the week.

Do you think that's a good plan for next week? Okay hearing no comments I think it's okay.

(Julie) one question, I would like to ask you if I remember that (Claudio) made some comments and some suggestions to your document.

I don't remember if we have a new version or if, I cannot recall right now. Maybe I'm wrong. You sent it, but I don't remember seeing it. If it's possible to include these documents, I would like to get some feedback from you because I've lost track of that.

(Julie):

Yes Olga this is (Julie). Thanks so much for asking. No you did not miss a revised document. I have not revised the documents.

The reason is that I've needed to take some time to circulate this idea among ICANN staff because it does have, you know, potentially quite an impact on, you know, ICANN's processes.

Just to remind all of you what (Claudio) had suggested was we had not originally in the recommendations included Option 8 from the table which said provide grants/funding for constituencies to provide their own support.

And (Claudio) suggested the recommendation which he said he believes is a common practice for companies is that the ICANN finance department is his staff (unintelligible) getting the amount of staff time required for a particular task and come up with a commensurate figure for outsourcing that task.

And the reason for my delay in incorporating that language is I'm not, in my initial conversations with staff it's not entirely clear whether or not that's something that is actually administratively feasible because we're not sure how we would go about.

I mean there are some difficulties with, you know, trying to estimate every time there's a, you know, a particular task, you know, coming up with an estimate.

And if we tried to come up with say sort of a rate sheet in a way that too would probably fluctuate depending on, you know, where is the request being outsourced to.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 09-04-09/8:00 am CT

Confirmation #8846614 Page 24

You know, where is the work being done. You know, where is, you know,

what stakeholder group or constituency is making the requests. I mean there

are a number of variables.

I mean these were some slots as we were just kind of brainstorming on how

we could approach this. So I was really hoping to be able to discuss this a

little bit within this team because I'm not really quite sure how we're going to

be able to proceed with it.

(Chuck): Well (Julie) I wonder if, and still I certainly appreciate the complexity of cost

estimates on a task like half basis and the fact that there'd be a lot of

variance there.

But I suspect that ultimately in the budget there will be an overall budget for

Website support. And if a portion of that by constituency or stakeholder group

could just, you know, some sort of a estimate could be made.

And assuming that it'd fit within the budget constraints that you'd just say

okay, any constituencies that do not want to have ICANN as, you know,

manage their Website, host their Website, etc.

Here's an allocation that would be provided for Website hosting. Here's an

allocation that would be provided for other Website support.

And then just leave it at that and not try to make it so dynamic. And that could

be on an annual basis, you know. I don't know if that works or not. But you

asked for a discussion, I'm just throwing that out.

(Claudio): Yes this is (Claudio). That's pretty much what I had in mind to just sort of

(astipident) for a particular, you know, sort of just the staff estimate of what

something might cost.

And then sort of leave it up to the stakeholder group or constituency to use that money for that task.

(Rob): Olga this is (Rob) and I can be in the queue too?

Olga Cavalli: Sure (Rob), go ahead.

(Rob): Great thanks. Those two comments guys are very helpful. I haven't talked with (Julie) in great detail about this. But I think some of - one of my initial

impressions was more, gee estimate how much time, how much staff time it

takes to manage a PVP or something like that.

And you guys are talking about much more, you know, general type things like Website management or things that can be contracted out. That's probably much more doable then what I think (Denise) has tried a couple of

times in the past.

Which is to say okay, how long (Marica) does it take you to do an issues report, which may vary tremendously from an IRTP discussion to a restructuring issue or something like that.

So that's very helpful guys. Help us clarify, you're talking about more administrative costs as opposed to, you know, professional fees or something like that. Am I correct in thinking that?

(Chuck): Yes I think so. And I'll let (Claudio), you know, speak for himself on that. But I

think as soon as you try to get down to two granular a level it will become too

cumbersome.

And probably will not be a good use of time. So to the extent that it can be done a little hi - at a higher level with an - and as long as it's up front. So that constituencies and stakeholder groups know in advance here is the stiffen that would be allowed for Web hosting if you don't want us to do it for you.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

09-04-09/8:00 am CT Confirmation #8846614

Page 26

Here is the stiffen for other Web services if you don't want that and any other

categories we have. The constituency and stakeholder group can then make

a decision which way they want to go.

And it's black and white in terms of how much, how many resources, how

many financial resources they would be able to get if they decide to do it

themselves.

It would be clearer. Now it's not as if either that that has, you know, be fixed

indefinitely. We could start out with a level and if over time we see that we,

you know, didn't estimate that very well, there's no reason why adjustments

couldn't be made in the stiffen level up or down in the future either.

This is (Julie). I just had a question because the way it reads in the - this item

reads in the original survey it says, you know, provide grants/money for

constituencies to provide their own support.

It doesn't, it just says support which is I guess that was sort of what, you

know, made me concerned initially. Because that could mean as (Rob)

mentioned sort of any support for anything.

It could be, you know, PDP process or something. But if we are talking about

something that's more easily defined, more finite, like Web, you know, Web

hosting that sort of thing then I agree. I think that's much more manageable.

Olga Cavalli:

Okay thank you all for your thoughts. So...

(Chuck):

So (Claudio) did what I say make sense to you?

(Claudio):

It did.

(Chuck):

Okay.

(Julie):

So this is (Julie). I'll go ahead and rework some language and (Chuck) I'll send that to you first and (Rob) also to look at. And then we can circulate that to the team.

Olga Cavalli:

All right, thank you very much. Okay any other comments? Any other thoughts? So I think we have a plan to do for next Friday.

We have to exchange our draft documents and have the chance to read them. And I'll send some comments just when we finish our call so we have a plan for next Friday.

And if we don't have more comments I want to thank all of you for the hard work. I think it was a nice, interesting exercise. I enjoyed it somehow.

And let's talk next Friday. And let's keep in touch on the list. And have a nice weekend.

(Chuck):

Olga just one thing. And we don't need to slow down what we're doing right now. So that's not the intent of my comment. But one of the things we need to be thinking about is as we move down the path here.

Is how we ultimately bring all of these separate work efforts and documents together into a coherent, you know, fairly consistent format and thing like that.

So I only throw that out now so that we're kind of thinking about that. Please don't, you know, get hung up on that at this point and time. I think the progress we're making is very good.

But we should be thinking about how we can integrate all of these sub-task efforts into one unified effort from the group.

Olga Cavalli:

Oh totally agree. I have been trying to bring this to our agenda for some weeks before. But I think we are getting there. And I totally agree with you (Chuck). And perhaps next Friday we can, if we have this parts, draft parts, we can start thinking about how to prepare our one document, the format and who and how are we going to draft it.

Thank you for your comment. Any other thoughts? Okay well done. Have a

nice weekend.

(Chuck): Thanks Olga.

Olga Cavalli: Thank you.

END