GNSO Council Chat Transcript 23 January 2014

Marika Konings: Welcome to the GNSO Council meeting of 23 January 2014

Glen de Saint Gery:welcome David and Mary!

Glen de Saint Gery: And Berry!

Bret Fausett, Registry Constituency: Good morning everyone

Glen de Saint Gery:Please join the phone line as well

Glen de Saint Gery: Call details have just been resent as a reminder

Jonathan Robinson: All, please make sure you are on mute when not actively addressing the Council.

We have some background noices.

Marika Konings:@C - could you please identify yourself?

C:I guess "C" is me: Ching :-P not sure why i cant change it when loggin in

Marika Konings:Thanks, Ching, I'll update your name

Amr Elsadr:Hello all.

Mike O'Connor:congrats Brett! first meeting.

Gabriela Szlak: Just clarifyng that I do not use the *6 mute but the skype mute, as i use skype

David Olive 2:Welcome Everyone

Volker Greimann:ok, arrived @home, logged in

Mike O'Connor: there's a lot going on in the online forum that they're using to collect ideas.

Bladel:Landing page for MSI Strategy Panel: http://www.icann.org/en/about/planning/strategic-

engagement/multistakeholder-innovation

Marika Konings:and http://thegovlab.ideascale.com/

Mike O'Connor:heavy breathing on the bridge

Osvaldo Novoa: Hello all, sorry I'm late

Thomas Rickert: Can those not speaking please mute their mics?

David Olive 2:We do expect the Panel to hold a webinar to talk about its activities. As soon as I have a date. I will let the Council know

Amr Elsadr:@John: Yeah. Thanks for that.

Marika Konings: Current list of members can be found here:

https://community.icann.org/display/gnsoccwgdraftteam/4.+Members

Mary Wong: Will do, Jonathan.

Amr Elsadr: Is the final list of ccwg members specified before the charter is finalized?

Mary Wong:@Amr this is for the CWG DT; the charter will be one of the first discussion items.

Amr Elsadr:OK. Thanks Mary.

Alan Greenberg: Not responding. New point

Jonathan Robinson: Thanks Alan

MARIA FARRELL: Memory failing - what was the RAP WG?

Marika Konings: Registration Abuse Policies Working Group

MARIA FARRELL:ah thank you, Marika!

Berry Cobb:http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/inactive/2011/rap

MARIA FARRELL:many thanks, Berry. I'd actually missed that one, so v. helpful.

Bladel:That addressed my earlier hand/question. Thanks Mikey.

Amr Elsadr:Thanks Mikey.

Bladel:So approve now, but rename before calling for volunteers?

Volker Greimann:agreed

Mike O'Connor:yup, works for me

Alan Greenberg: That was my intent.

Mike O'Connor:Beer and Chips working group?

Bladel: "Free" Beer and Chips

Mike O'Connor:agreed, friendly amendment

Amr Elsadr:The charter (as I read it) doesn't preclude the necessity of critical appraisal of studies, but doesn't require it either. I would have preferred the latter, but won't insist.

Mike O'Connor:Amr, it's a great suggestion. make sure to join the WG and nudge us along. :-)

Mary Wong:@James, @Mikey: I presume you DON'T mean like free software per FSF ... ?

Berry Cobb: I've been taking notes and will ensure they are carried over to when the WG is formed.

Avri Doria:hope it was ok to use the check instead of unmuting and muting again, and going deaf in the intervening seconds.

Mary Wong: Note that unless scheduled differently, the GNSO Council Public Meeting and the ccNSO Council's meeting tends to take place at the same time at ICANN meetings.

Gabriela Szlak: Where can we check the list fo GAC reps of this WG?

Amr Elsadr:@Gabi: There is no group wiki as far as I know.

Volker Greimann:as I missed the last call, I am not quite up to speed yet

Marika Konings:Current GAC members are: Manal Ismail, EgyptSuzanne Radell, USAna Neves, PortugalMark Carvell, UKGema Maria Campillos & R. Perezga, Spain (2 reps alternating)Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez, Costa Rica

Gabriela Szlak:thanks Marika

Marika Konings: Mailing list archives can be found here: http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gac-gnso-cg/

Gabriela Szlak:thanks Amr for asking for this, I have been following the threads and wanted more background

Gabriela Szlak:and info

Amr Elsadr:@Gabi: I'm optimistic that this will be available soon. :)

Gabriela Szlak::)

Amr Elsadr:??

Amr Elsadr: I'm not sure I follow that last comment. There are SG/C not represented on the G-Council?

Avri Doria:indeed there are those who want to be free of the council.

Amr Elsadr:Thanks.

Avri Doria: Some of us will be doing the Ig stuff whether the council is invovled or not.

Avri Doria:It is what we do.

Avri Doria:i can help

Amr Elsadr:@Mikey: Alot of the traffic going back and forth is bandwidth pollution. A digest would be awesome.

David Olive 2:Thanks Avri you are in a good position to proivde this information to the Council

Avri Doria:in a 40 hour week i sepnd about 150% in internet governance

Mike O'Connor:lol

David Olive 2:The policy staff will take this one as an action item, Jonathan

Avri Doria: but i canot act in the activities as any sort of council mouthpeice. i may say things the rest of council does not agree with. so reporting does not imply any sort of representation.

Mike O'Connor:right

Avri Doria: and of course we want to hear from thereasa and David

Avri Doria: just wanted to get it said.

David Olive 2: from Theresa or Sally

Amr Elsadr:@Jonathan: +1.

Daniel Reed:Yes, hearing from them would be great

Gabriela Szlak:+1

Mike O'Connor:even just a good edited twitter feed would be great. with the understanding that it's opinionated. :-)

David Olive 2:Yes indeed I will arrange it

MARIA FARRELL: Thanks, David.

David Cake: thanks, Mikey, useful suggestion

MARIA FARRELL: I really like mikey's idea to re-review our post_BA ideas.

Jonathan Robinson:@Maria. I agree too. Keen to see some of the output

MARIA FARRELL: Would it be possible for staff to re-circulate the images of the boards we scribbled on?

Marika Konings:@Maria - I'll have a look

Mike O'Connor:with all the money we save on reports, we can buy beer and cool buttons for working-group members.

Avri Doria: i thnk meetings should focus on the knotty problems and on what the WG needs from the council and rest of GNSO.

Bladel:I thikn the problem we are dancing around is: The Council isn't really interested in the detailed work of these groups. :)

Avri Doria: there are plenty of hard issues that could use some extend discussions.

Avri Doria: well the council should be intersted in the problems of thww WG as we have to manage them and those problems

Mike O'Connor: i like the idea of "GNSO wide" focus for the meetings, rather than the Council.

then i think we'll get good input for WGs

Marika Konings:@Avri - +1!

Bladel:Sure. Allocate 60 minutes for all active PDPs/WGs, inclugin Q&A.

Bladel:@Avri: Agree. It's a question of level of detail maybe?

Marika Konings:10 PDPs and 9 non-PDP WGs in 60 minutes....

Marika Konings:maybe we can explore speed dating updates ;-)

MARIA FARRELL: Marika +1!!

Bladel:@Marika: I'm open to anything besides presenting to a half-empty room...

Bladel:In the past, most councilors treated these updates as informal breaks...

Marika Konings: It is not about quanity but quality ;-)

Marika Konings:We had some pretty good discussion and feedback during the last meeting, I think MARIA FARRELL:how about a rule that any one presenting has to BEGIN with the substance - tech, policy or whatever - and can only do the process at the end of the presentation?

Marika Konings:maybe we can work with WGs to get them to focus on some specific questions or issues to stimulate debate and input?

MARIA FARRELL:would stop ppl nodding off and presenters spending too long on the 'whereas's MARIA FARRELL:yes, that's a great idea marika

Marika Konings:@ Maria - that is the approach we've introduced since two meetings ago (although some chairs may still be tempted to dive into the background first;-)

MARIA FARRELL: aha! nothing new under the sun.

MARIA FARRELL:howabout also ditching the history lesson till they've talked about the issue itself and what the different interests think about it?

Marika Konings:The background is typically provided in the annex slides so that anyone interested can look at that, or if needed, the presenter can move to that to provide any background info if needed / requested

Marika Konings:but the substance is put up front

Amr Elsadr: I know very little about SSR. Would appreciate access to discussions on this topic for tutoring purposes.

Bladel:Serious question: ACs see themselves as providing advice to the Board, rather than other SO/ACs. Correct?

David Cake: i support Mikeys mailing list idea

Mike O'Connor:terrific. thanks Jonathan

Mike O'Connor: the SCI? doesn't it elect it's own?

Marika Konings:@Mikey - yes that is correct

MARIA FARRELL: yes james, that's their job under the bylaws

MARIA FARRELL: though informally there's developed a greater recognition of need to coordinate amongst ac and so. but there's nothing in bylaws - i think - saying it's obligatory

Alan Greenberg: ALAC for one also provides comments (if not "advice" to SOs.

Amr Elsadr:OK. Thanks Avri.

Mike O'Connor:neato! convey my congratulations to Sintra Amr Elsadr:OK. Thanks Avri and Jonathan for the clarification.

Amr Elsadr:@Mikey: Will do. ;-)

Marika Konings:@Amr - SCI has specific procedure in its charter on how its elections are expected to be conducted, this is not the case for 'normal' WGs, hence the requirement for confirmation of the Chair.

Amr Elsadr:Thanks Marika.

Volker Greimann: I was disconnected

Gabriela Szlak:thanks to all!

Gabriela Szlak:bye Volker Greimann:back