Cross-Community Working Group on Use of Country/Territory Names as TLDs TRANSCRIPT

Thursday 18 December 2014 at 0500 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ccwg-unct-20141218-en.mp3

On page: http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#dec

Attendees: ccNSO Ron Sherwood, .vi Annebeth Lange, .no

GNSO Heather Forrest, IPC (Co-Chair) Carlos Raul Guttierez, NPOC Maxim Alzoba, NTAG

Apologies: Young-Eum Lee, .kr Mirjana Tasic, .rs Laura Hutchison, .uk Inam Ali - At–Large

ICANN staff: Bart Boswinkel Lars Hoffman Nathalie Peregrine

Coordinator: The recordings have now started. Please proceed.

Nathalie Peregrine: Thank you very much, (Damon). Good morning, good afternoon and good evening everybody and welcome to the Cross Community Working Group on Use of Country and Territory Names as TLDs meeting on the 18th of December, 2014.

On the call today we have Annabeth Lange, Ron Sherwood, Heather Forrest and Carlos Raul Gutierrez. We have received apologies from Young-Eum Lee, Laura Hutchison, (unintelligible) and Mirjana Tasic.

From staff we have Bart Boswinkel, Lars Hoffman and myself, Nathalie Peregrine.

I'd like to remind you all to please state your names before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you ever so much and over to you, Heather.

Heather Forrest: Thank you very much, Nathalie. This is Heather Forrest. Welcome, everyone.

As Annabeth has very rightfully pointed out, we're very slim on numbers today. I don't know - I don't know how much we're going to accomplish.

Carlos, are you with us?

Nathalie Peregrine: No, Heather, he's not here. The operator is dialing out to him.

Heather Forrest: Got it. Okay. Very good. And, Bart, you are with us, aren't you?

Bart Boswinkel: Yes, I am. And Lars as well.

Heather Forrest: Marvelous. Marvelous. And do we - oh we don't have Marika today, that's

right.

Bart Boswinkel: No, no, it's - I'll make a suggestion in a little while, but let's get started first.

Heather Forrest: Very good. Very good. All right. And we haven't - marvelous - Carlos has

joined.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: I can hear you now through a phone line. Thank you very much.

Heather Forrest: Hi, Carlos. Welcome.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Hello. Thank you.

Annabeth Lange: Hi, Carlos.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Hello.

Heather Forrest: So I need to ask a question here to Annabeth and Carlos. We haven't had a

chairs call, so we haven't really decided who runs the show today. I'm more

than happy for you guys to do it; if you'd rather I do, just let me know.

Annabeth Lange: I think it's marvelous that you run it. And just...

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Exactly.

Annabeth Lange: ...ask for help from us if you want.

Heather Forrest: Okay. All right.

((Crosstalk))

Heather Forrest: So we've done Item Number 1 in our agenda. Item Number 2 is the

confirmation of the letter submission to the GAC. I'll say something to this and

then, Bart, I'll turn to you and, Lars, you can pipe in as well.

So our letter went to the GNSO Council meeting which took place on the 11 of December. And I sent around an email immediately after the meeting.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 12-17-14/11:00 pm CT

Confirmation # 9851115 Page 4

There were - I was asked to give a brief explanation as to the purpose of the letter and no objection was expressed to its submission to the GAC so that

was a positive outcome.

And, Bart, I believe you had the same outcome in the ccNSO; is that right?

Bart Boswinkel: Yes. Yes, we did. And I sent out an email right after the Council call to the

email list as well with the same result so no objection. And the ccNSO

Council will submit its own letter in conjunction.

Heather Forrest: Good, that was a question that we all had. So thank you for confirming that,

Bart. I've thought what remains now is for us to submit the letter. It goes to

the email address that's been specified by the GAC sub working group, an

email address has been created for that purpose. And the letter is signed by

the four co chairs I suppose on behalf of the entire cross constituency

working group. And I suppose now it's simply the mechanics of who sends

the email.

Bart Boswinkel: Yes, and it's - either it's - say it could be one of you or we could do it, say, as

staff on behalf of you as co chairs. So that's - it's more a matter of, yeah. If

you want to do it that's fine but we need to ensure that somebody does it.

Heather Forrest: Agreed.

Annabeth Lange: Annabeth speaking here. I think it's better that it comes from you, Bart, since

it's from the both groups.

Bart Boswinkel: That's fine.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Yes.

Annabeth Lange: Is that okay for you, Heather? Carlos?

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Yes.

Heather Forrest: I think that's fine. And I suppose what would - the recordkeeping, Bart, would

be if you CC the list...

Annabeth Lange: Yes.

Heather Forrest: ...the CWG list then that gives us all a record of what's taken place.

Bart Boswinkel: Yes, yeah, that's - say, that's a no brainer. So in that sense I can do both

because I will submit the - say, I will submit on behalf of the Council as well.

So later today I will submit both letters.

Heather Forrest: That's fine. That's fine. Good. Good, any further questions, issues, discussion

in relation to the letter? If not we'll move on from that agenda item. No? All right. Number 3 is a big one. As we only have a handful we have - this is really our - this is our missing co chairs call as opposed to the group call.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

Heather Forrest: Review of issues raised by the study group. This of course is the bulk of the

work that was undertaken by the study group over the 18 months or so that it was in operation. And this is really the meat of our work and where we're behind in a sense in that really this was slated at least to begin in our meeting

in LA and that was taken up largely by discussion around the GAC sub

working group's proposal.

So here we are and we only have four people on the call - five, Ron, thank you very much for being here I have to say. And I'm at a loss for what to do to be honest. This is my concern - I don't mean to stand on a soapbox again on this, but my concern is that when the work gets tough - we had this in the study group as well - the folks pulling the oars disappeared.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

Heather Forrest: And difficult questions are about to be asked and ultimately need answers. And we need participation for that to be truly representative. This is, you know, even more so now as a cross constituency working group than we did in the study group we need to have participation. And I don't know how we fix this problem.

Bart Boswinkel:

Heather, this is Bart. I fully agree. And at the same time - and I think that would say with the number of participation now we have a bit of an issue. On the other side I know - and say I'm - as staff person I'm involved in the two major streams right now, that's accountability and stewardship transition.

And there is - what we notice is there is a lot of fatigue over in those work streams or those projects as well, these processes. So - and as we are getting closer - and I think this - the timing of these calls right now is not very optimal.

So my suggestion would be is to send out a - not even a Doodle poll but set a date somewhere in the second week of - or maybe third week of January second week and then have another call just before the Singapore meeting in order to catch up what we left behind. Effectively that means we just lost one meeting.

Heather Forrest: This is Heather. Bart, I appreciate what you're saying. And of course given that it is the time of year that it is and we're all exhausted after a busy year and still trying to catch up from LA and whatnot and, as you say, there are these very big work streams going on at the same time, I can understand that. I suppose my only concern is that I fear when we come to the end of this process that we have unhappy parties and the parties...

Bart Boswinkel:

Yes.

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel:

And maybe we iterate - and it could be in an email from you as co chairs, say, reiterate your fear in that email or in a more polite way of course, but reiterate, say, people need to attend otherwise, you know, this important topic, although, yeah, it's not very sexy but this important topic loses traction and we don't know what will happen. And then something like the letter itself to the GAC becomes valueless.

Heather Forrest: Bart, I agree. Annabeth, you were about to say something.

Annabeth Lange: Yes, yes, I agree on the way you say, Bart, to try to get their attention. And is it possible that we could try to formulate a few questions about these issues because they have to - we have to be sure that they read it and come back with their concerns in time for the next meeting. Have they really read it at all?

Bart Boswinkel:

As the, say, what we did - and this is, again, a good one, say, in the previous - in preparation of the previous call we formulated some questions.

Annabeth Lange: Yeah.

Bart Boswinkel: And...

Annabeth Lange: Could we send them again?

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah. Lars, what you think?

Lars Hoffman: Yeah, I think it's a very good - I think it's a very good (unintelligible) approach.

> And I read through the, you know, just as a suggestion I read through the (unintelligible) yesterday and I'm wondering I might, if it's okay with the group, prepare a little summary of this and try to condense a little bit so it might be

Page 8

easier for people to read through it and also much easier to pull out the exact

issues that we want to deal with.

And for the GAC maybe we should send them a - just another official letter to

the subgroup, I'm sorry, with questions so we do make sure that the letter has

been read and they know what issues we are concerned with.

Heather Forrest: Lars, quick question on that. This is Heather. Procedurally I don't know if we

can round the troops and get all the approvals or non-objections that we need

to send something further to the GAC given that we have to do that by the

31st of December.

I mean, let's say, through the formal comment process. I don't think there's

anything wrong with communicating with the GAC outside of that comment

process around the proposal. Is that what you're suggesting?

Lars Hoffman:

Yeah, that's what I meant. We could even maybe add - I mean, procedurally -

and Bart will be more versed in this, but maybe we could, you know, we said

we invited them in the letter to join us for a joint face to face in Singapore so

we maybe could - just invite them and say and these are some of the

questions we'd like to discuss with you.

Heather Forrest: This is Heather. I think that's - I think that's a good approach. I think we need

to - our meeting in Singapore needs to be as structured as possible. I don't

want to go back through another 45 minute version of what the GAC

subgroup proposal is. I think we need to be quite focused. I think if we don't

maximize that face to face meeting we will indeed have lost momentum on

this.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

Heather Forrest: So I agree, I think that's a significant work product that needs to happen

between now and Singapore is devising a rock solid agenda for Singapore

with, as you suggest, Lars, with questions not only for the GAC, frankly, but for us.

Bart Boswinkel:

So effectively...

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel:

Yeah, sorry go ahead, Carlos.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez:

Yes, this is Carlos. Thank you. I'm trying to pull out mail here that (Tom Dale) sent in the name of Thomas Schneider where there is a lead of working groups or leads, they call it from the GAC side. They sent this list to Mason Cole just a few days ago telling him that - well I see a shift of responsibility from GAC side, they're trying to put too much responsibility on the GNSO liaison.

And I was trying to pull this out and see who is the person here - I have it here. No, but this is only on the second level. The section of geographic names. Again, the name is Olga Cavalli. And as I mentioned the last time we already have a problem from the start; we talk about use of geographic names and she in her position talks about protection of geographic names.

So I think we have to go straight to contact with Olga Cavalli and Mason Cole to try to sort this thing out otherwise the worse scenario that you just described to Heather will happen.

Bart Boswinkel:

The interesting part is Olga is subscribed to this list so what might be useful, say, following on, on what Lars's suggestion is to send out, again, a clarification to the subgroup. Because they were invited to attend all meetings anyway - that we send out a kind of summary and list of questions around the country and territory names and a summary or section from the report itself and send them so it's very clear what we're talking about as a follow up.

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel: And as an invite to participate in this work because that's part of the letter

anyway and that's what we discussed at the LA meeting.

Annabeth Lange: This is Annabeth. I agree, Bart and Carlos. It's really important that Olga -

especially Olga understand what we are doing here. But we haven't sent - they haven't read the letter from us yet so we try to explain this in the letter.

And I think it's an excellent idea to also to formulate some questions from the

report to really focus on the problem - the issues in it. So they are really clear

about what we are doing and what they are doing.

Heather Forrest: This is Heather...

((Crosstalk))

Carlos Raul Gutierrez:say the letter should be sent directly to Olga and to Mason Cole

to see if - if we have lost connection totally with the GAC or we still have any

type of connection with them.

Bart Boswinkel: Carlos, Carlos, you mean the letter that, say, been adopted or no objection

from both the ccNSO and GNSO Council?

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: The initial basis, yes, not just the letter we just discussed, the

initial communication that we want to fit together.

Heather Forrest: This is Heather.

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

((Crosstalk))

Page 11

Heather Forrest: My concern with this - sorry, Bart, go ahead.

Bart Boswinkel:

No go ahead, Heather. Go ahead.

Heather Forrest: My concern with this is if we draft a list of questions to the GAC, I mean, at the end of the day we have chartering organizations and we have a mandate that we're supposed to fill. And my fear is that by drafting a list of questions for the GAC we're putting our own work as, I don't know, I mean, I guess I fear that our own work becomes secondary.

> At the end of the day we asked that two of the supporting organizations of ICANN so I don't want necessarily - I mean, I see what we're trying to do, that we're trying to have the GAC participate in our group. And the elephant in the room is that we don't want the GAC sub group to come up with outcome X and our group to come out with outcome Y.

But realistically government isn't going to participate in a meaningful way in our group. And I don't think, I mean, that's a diplomatic issue and a political issue and it's not one that we can overcome here.

I think the best that we can do is we continue with our work, we continue with it as openly and as, yeah, I mean, I guess openly is the right word, as openly as possible, we communicate back to the GAC not just the subgroup of this working group but indeed the working group, the chair of the working group on new gTLDs - future new gTLD rounds is Peter Nettlefold. And he needs to be briefed in this as well because he has the ultimate responsibility, if you like, he's the ultimate lead of that working group.

I think we back to them and we say this is where we are, this is what we are doing, this is what we decided. At every opportunity we remind them of what the scope of our work is to whatever degree we feel comfortable to do so we can express discomfort with the...

Bart Boswinkel: Who's dropped off? Carlos?

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: No, no I'm here.

Heather Forrest: Annabeth did. Annabeth dropped off.

Bart Boswinkel: She'll dial back in.

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel: May I make - yeah.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: We have to call her again.

Bart Boswinkel: Nathalie is already dialing.

Heather Forrest: Yeah, I see Annabeth's comment. Carlos, Bart, what are you - Lars, what are

your thoughts here? I mean, I just - I don't want our work to sit in the back.

Bart Boswinkel: No it's - I fully agree. And I think - say, thinking about it, say, the first step is

the submission to the GAC subgroup.

Heather Forrest: Yeah.

Bart Boswinkel: That needs to be done asap.

Heather Forrest: Yeah.

Bart Boswinkel: Plus the Council - the ccNSO Council statement on the same subject.

Heather Forrest: Yeah.

Page 13

Bart Boswinkel:

I think, given, say, where we are is once this is done, Heather and Carlos and Annabeth, I hope Annabeth can hear me, is that you send, say, once you've received it send a copy in person to Peter Nettlefold and...

Annabeth Lange: I'm back.

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel:

...and copying Olga of the same letter. And at the same time invite them to participate and reiterate the invitation to participate in the work of this cross community working group. And then so we set the stage for them to participate in this group again as we did before.

Once this is done then, say, closer to the next meeting - because I agree with you, Heather, we shouldn't, say, they needed to be treated special but not too special.

Is that we compile, say, we extract as Lars suggested, the section from the study group report and particularly Page 25 (and next) plus the questions and send it round to not just, say, send it round to the working group itself to focus them but also, yeah, to the sub working group of the GAC and invite them again to participate in the call of the - of the working group and ask them to participate in the meeting in - because it will be discussed in the meeting in Singapore as well.

Heather Forrest: This is Heather. I agree with that. I think the unknown in this process is what the response will be to the feedback that the subgroup receives on its proposal. So the proposal as we know it now, may well and indeed I hope it does change in some way in response to the feedback that's been received. So I don't want us to assume that the position as it is now is a static one.

> So what I would really like, and whether it's even possible, is to - when that feedback is received and collated and this sort of thing, I hope that there

Page 14

would be another update. I know that's at least in the thinking is the one of the things that will happen in Singapore is that the GAC sub working group will provide an update to the community on its then current thinking in light of the feedback that's been received.

That will be an interesting topic of discussion. I just - I don't want our work now - I think the letter - I think the letter was an excellent means of opening liens of communication and clarifying points. I think it achieves a number of goals. I don't want now our work to be all about the GAC sub group because we cannot participate in that process...

((Crosstalk))

Heather Forrest: ...to the extent that we've now done. And they can't, for all sorts of political and diplomatic reasons, meaningfully participate in what we're doing.

Bart Boswinkel:

Heather, I fully agree with your first statement. I doubt around the second one. Say, if, again if I look I think they don't want, say, for various reasons they - it was not on their radar screen. And it's probably a matter of persuading them to participate in this one even showing them it is open, point one, and secondly that, say, work in the country and territory names area is continuing.

Heather Forrest: And, Bart, I hear you. This is Heather. But my understanding is that GAC members are not in a position to participate as GAC members in cross constituency working groups because there's a concern about are they speaking on behalf of the GAC or are they speaking on behalf of themselves and this sort of thing. So hence they're really...

((Crosstalk))

Heather Forrest: ...in observer type positions.

Bart Boswinkel:

Heather, it's - and that's the good thing about the, say, the accountability process and the stewardship process. They participate actively. They know - what they do know is they cannot represent a - and that's the clarity that I think they needed - they do not participate as representative of the GAC but only as a person who sits on the GAC.

So it's not the GAC view you get, it's the individual person's view or say not even from the government but at least the thinking. And it works reasonably well in, say, the stewardship process. And they've done so...

Annabeth Lange: This is Annabeth.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah. Hi, Annabeth, you're back.

Annabeth Lange: Hi, yeah, I'm back. So I listened to what you said now and I think you're right,

Bart. But I think the main thing is to get them to be here either as an observer
or whatever. And they hear what we are talking about and they get a grasp of
what our part of this work. And then they can bring it back to the subgroup so
at least know what we are doing and what's our mandate.

So but we have invited Olga and it's very difficult to get her to come to the group.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: This is Carlos. Olga has been assigned this direct responsibility according to this list by Thomas Schneider. And she's the person who drafted the position by the GAC and she's a GAC co chair. So she only - Thomas Schneider is higher in the food chain in the GAC so I think we have to go ahead, send the letter, copy the letter to Olga, Thomas Schneider, Peter Nettlefold and Mason Cole and push for the dates, push for the dates in January and before Singapore. I don't know if we are going to have two dates or only one and prepare the stage...

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: We lost Annabeth because it's not me.

Bart Boswinkel: Or Heather. Heather, what's - Heather?

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Or we lost both.

Heather Forrest: Bart, I'm here. Sorry, I was on mute. After all that I'm sitting here talking to

myself. You didn't lose me, I promise, I just lost myself.

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel: Go ahead.

Heather Forrest: Just chattering away to myself, no big deal. Look, I agree. I agree with

everything that's been said. I think we proceed on that basis. Lars, I like your idea of the summary of not module 3, deliverable 3. And I would like to think that what we include in that summary is, in addition to those questions, I think the questions that we looked at in LA were helpful but what I would like to see a sort of two-line summary of here is what we need to achieve at this stage in our work plan.

We are looking at the idea of a framework and whether or not a framework is possible. And we have, as a basis for that decision, the work of the study group. Some sort of articulation like that that somehow expresses the importance of what we're now trying to do and indeed the complexity. But if we advertise too much the complexity everyone will run screaming.

But I think everything that's - I agree with everything that's been said. I think it's a good idea. And I think we continue our work, we do so with transparency, we do so openly. We invite the GAC, we invite all members,

not just members of the sub group, and say anyone with an interest in this issue the table is here and we hope you'll join the discussion.

Bart Boswinkel:

Yeah, and as a first step, say, after submission you send, say, Heather or, yeah probably it's easier for you, Heather as you're in the same time zone, send a letter on behalf of the co chairs directly informing Peter Nettlefold and Olga of the submission and inviting them to participate again.

Heather Forrest: I think that's sensible.

Annabeth Lange: That's a good idea.

((Crosstalk))

Heather Forrest: Well look, with that in mind, one thing then to be determined before we do that is our next agenda item which is meeting schedule. We need to - before I write to Peter and Olga it would be helpful to know, you know, to say our next meeting will take place on X date. It may be hard to set that date at this point in time when we don't really have anyone on the call. But...

((Crosstalk))

Heather Forrest: ...ideally I'd like to be able to say please put this in your diary.

Bart Boswinkel:

Heather, that's a good thing of benign dictatorship if nobody's on the call.

Heather Forrest: Fair enough. Fair enough.

Annabeth Lange: Annabeth here. Should we try a new Doodle later today, Bart?

Bart Boswinkel:

I wouldn't do, say, you could do, say, the most important one is probably the -

(unintelligible) want to do it.

Page 18

Annabeth Lange: Yeah.

Bart Boswinkel:

And given maybe - so if you want to have two meetings before the Singapore meeting, say, the only feasible way of doing it is having a call in the week of the 12th until the 16th of January and somewhere in the week of Groundhog Day until the 6th of February so that's the 2nd of February until the 6th.

Otherwise you run into say people traveling. But the - or you can do it, say, or say the second call needs to be in the week of the 2nd until the 6th of February.

Now you can do, say, either a call in the week of the 19th until the 23rd of January or from the 12th until the 16th of January. My advice would be to do the week of the 19th or 23rd because everyone will go - first of all will be still - some will still be on holidays, especially the Southern Hemisphere, closer, say the week of 12 until the 16 but that week will be completely filled up with calls around the transition proposal.

Annabeth Lange: Yeah, that's...

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel:

So it's - in the week of the 19th until the 23rd of - that's January isn't it? Yeah. Yeah, 19th until the 23rd. And I think in principle this date, Thursday the 22nd or Wednesday the 23rd, and that's more dependant on your agenda then anything else, is a nice one. So what is, say, or even the - or even the Tuesday, the 20th.

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel: Sorry?

Lars Hoffman: Bart, this is Lars. (Unintelligible) if we do the second call on the week of the

6th probably (unintelligible) because we're starting on (unintelligible)...

Bart Boswinkel:

Oh yeah, then it's - sorry, I thought - I'm flying out on the 6th and it's - the ICANN meeting itself is 7th. So, yeah, if you want to do it that week it needs to be Tuesday if you want to have a second call. Or you could do it, say, or you can do it, one, in the week of the 19th until the 23rd and the 26th until the 30th so two consecutive weeks.

Lars Hoffman:

Yeah, I mean, from (unintelligible). I was also floating the idea whether we could actually make a - not a Doodle poll but just two calls but rather have it as a general - pick the general time and date and...

Bart Boswinkel:

Yeah.

Lars Hoffman:

...that would give something that Heather would say we have something in the agenda and see whether we want to maybe - every two weeks and try to pick a date and then open up the times so that somebody has morning calls and the next time...

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

((Crosstalk))

Heather Forrest: I think that's outstanding. I think to the extent that we have a regular rotation

that we know when it is, if the...

Bart Boswinkel: Whatever, the first and third Tuesday and it's this or this, I think that's a

> brilliant idea. And that way we don't - I think Carlos has been stung with bad time zones twice now and I've had decent time zones now twice so it's more

than fair that we switch this around.

Annabeth Lange: It's Annabeth. Yes, I agree.

Lars Hoffman: I'd be happy to put a Doodle together (unintelligible).

Bart Boswinkel:

Yeah, but limit it to the - Lars, my advice is limit it to the co chairs initially. And

then have benign dictatorship.

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel: Because

Because if you use - if you use a rotational basis, say, and that's the experience we had, say, in some of the other groups and you see it right now with the Accountability Cross Community Working Group as well, people will fold into it. But I agree, say, either you need to have set dates because then

it's easier to plan then into the agenda or the schedule.

Lars Hoffman: Okay.

Heather Forrest: I suppose this is the benefit of the two co chairs is, you know, to the extent

that it's a day that you think we can't attend or the timing is poor or whatever

then we fall back and rely on our other co chairs.

Annabeth Lange: Yeah.

Heather Forrest: You know, I think this is right approach. I do. And then we get into a regular

rhythm as well.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

Heather Forrest: Good. Lars, are you happy to take that on?

Lars Hoffman: Absolutely, no problem at all. I have that jotted down already.

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel: Just one question, what's your availability in the week of the 19th until the

23rd?

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: I'm pretty open the whole week.

Heather Forrest: As am I.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah. So maybe...

Annabeth Lange: This is Annabeth. Can you repeat that, Bart, which week?

Bart Boswinkel: Nineteenth, January until the 23rd of January.

Annabeth Lange: Yeah. Yes, it's okay for me.

Heather Forrest: One thing we could do...

((Crosstalk))

Heather Forrest: ...can we agree in principle on a day of the week and then we say the -

whatever it is, the first and third Tuesday or something like this. Is there a day of the week that suits - I mean, we have the three co chairs on the phone now or a day of the week that doesn't suit and then we work around that basis.

I hate to plan an entire year just on the basis of the week of the 19th of

January.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

Heather Forrest: If we work more in principle on...

((Crosstalk))

Heather Forrest: ...you know.

Bart Boswinkel: I think - and then we visit this item again in Singapore.

Heather Forrest: Yeah.

Bart Boswinkel: But then it's - but you need to get into Singapore and say - my suggestion

would be at least two readings. So...

Heather Forrest: Yeah.

Bart Boswinkel: Would Tuesday work for everybody?

Heather Forrest: Yes. Fine with me, yeah.

Annabeth Lange: Most of the time, yes.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: It depends what you call Tuesday.

((Crosstalk))

Carlos Raul Gutierrez:Tuesday is my Monday but I would be fine my Monday late

afternoon is Australia in the morning and it's Annabeth's evening somehow

that's my arithmetic but it would work, yes.

Heather Forrest: And your Tuesday and my Wednesday is fine too so yeah.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel: Say, Lars, can you, say, I think on the basis of that, say, the Tuesday the

20th and maybe even Tuesday the 3rd would already be good.

Heather Forrest: Yeah, I think that would be excellent.

Bart Boswinkel:

Because as Ron indicated he starts traveling on the 4th of February. But so that would mean, say, my guess is people really start traveling on Wednesday the 4th to Singapore. So on the 3rd would be good so the 20th and the 3rd then it's a matter of timing. And, Carlos, what is your preferred time? Because you've been...

Carlos Raul Gutierrez:

If we can do it a few hours earlier than today it - but then I don't know how much it affects the Europeans, Annabeth, I don't know what time do you have right now? Is it early morning for you?

Annabeth Lange: It's 6:00 here in the morning, 6:00 in the morning now.

Heather Forrest: Oh, yuck.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez:

But this is fine for me. This is normal for me or I don't know how

many hours Annabeth sleeps.

Annabeth Lange: Six is okay.

((Crosstalk))

Carlos Raul Gutierrez:

Seven hours earlier or this one. This one is fine with me really.

This is still reasonable for me.

Bart Boswinkel:

Yeah. So that's one. And then, say, maybe do that on the 3rd and maybe on

the 20th - what is your morning, Carlos?

Carlos Raul Gutierrez:

Oh for me the - your 3rd is fine, it would be the late evening of the

2nd for me which is perfectly fine.

Bart Boswinkel:

Yeah.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: I think the 3rd is a Tuesday; right?

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Yes, yes. Yes, we can repeat it, the third week of January and the

first week of February we can repeat this call if we do it between Monday and

Tuesday. I don't know if I'm clear.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah, so the 3rd at the same time and maybe on the Tuesday we do it late in

the afternoon so ...

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Yes.

Bart Boswinkel: ...Heather, you're going to bear the brunt of that call.

Heather Forrest: Yeah, that's fine. I'm just looking at the time so 7:00 am Costa Rica time is

then sort of - it's midday Europe and it's midnight my time.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

Heather Forrest: So that would be okay then nobody is between - so 1:00 and 6:00 am.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Exactly.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

Heather Forrest: So let's aim for that then. That works out to be 1300 UTC.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah, that's 2:00 pm our time so, yeah.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: And everybody would be on the same calendar day.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah, on the 20th, yeah. So that's Tuesday the 20th of January.

Heather Forrest: I'll start in the same calendar day, Carlos, but as soon as we get going I'm in

tomorrow so I'm always in tomorrow, Carlos. It's always tomorrow where I

live.

Bart Boswinkel: Would it be good to have a co chair call the week before?

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Fine with me as well.

((Crosstalk))

Heather Forrest: In January you mean?

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah, the 13th.

Heather Forrest: Yeah, we can do that.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: It's okay with me.

Annabeth Lange: Thirteen, yeah, that's okay.

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel: And again the time?

Annabeth Lange: I think - is the timing fine if you keep it like Heather said that it's between - so

we don't use the middle at night for anyone, if we can do that that would be

fine.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Yes.

Heather Forrest: Yeah.

Bart Boswinkel: Depends who is the evening person and who is the morning person. Annabeth Lange: That's true, or a night person. Bart Boswinkel: Yeah. ((Crosstalk)) Bart Boswinkel: So the 13th as well. Carlos Raul Gutierrez: ...we can make a Doodle with the three dates because the Doodle is so good at calculating the hours, that's what I like about that. Heather Forrest: It is, you're right. Carlos Raul Gutierrez: So we were looking forward January 13 for the chairs and then January 20 and February 2nd to 3rd that's what I... Bart Boswinkel: Yeah, yeah. Carlos Raul Gutierrez: ...wrote down. Bart Boswinkel: Yeah. And, say, January - the 3rd UTC so then you can calculate back and it depends a bit on the UTC time whether you're on Monday or on Wednesday. Heather Forrest: Yeah. ((Crosstalk)) Carlos Raul Gutierrez: The Doodle poll is very smart there.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel: ...something from it couldn't we?

((Crosstalk))

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: ...Survey Monkey.

Heather Forrest: All right good well that's progress. Anything else we need to discuss today?

Bart Boswinkel: Face to face meeting.

((Crosstalk))

Heather Forrest: Face to face meeting.

Annabeth Lange: Yeah. Yeah, in Singapore.

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel: Not so much the agenda but the timing. I, say, with Christina, have been

working on the premise we want to meet with the GAC, we want to do it early

in the week and we want to have 90 minutes.

Heather Forrest: Okay.

Bart Boswinkel: And so I hope we'll be able to schedule it for Monday afternoon from quarter

past 12 local time until quarter to 2 in order to avoid as much as possible overlap in the afternoon with the Accountability Working Group because that

group will meet in the afternoon as well for a three-hour session.

And Sunday is a very bad day given the ccNSO, say, a lot of ccNSO working

groups are already starting and most of the CC members who will not be on

the working groups will arrive on Sunday so that's a bad day. And you have the GNSO Council meetings anyway on Saturday and Sunday.

And Thursday morning is bad timing and the good thing about Monday as well is as far as I know, but, Carlos, please confirm, is not truly a working day for the GAC.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Yes, yes, normally they have the Monday open to participate in the public meetings.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah. So the suggestion will be Sunday quarter past 12 and then running for 90 minutes.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Sorry, you said Sunday or Monday?

Bart Boswinkel: So Monday, Monday sorry. It's too early for me. I'm an evening person.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Okay that's fine.

Heather Forrest: Bart, I think that's perfect. Really perfect.

Bart Boswinkel: I don't know it needs to be confirmed but that's what we aimed for.

Heather Forrest: Very good. When will we have confirmation, Bart?

Bart Boswinkel: I hope this week because the staff needed to fill in the forms this week. But,

look, I'm not the one filling in the forms, I'm not very good in filling in forms.

Heather Forrest: Yeah, that's fine.

Bart Boswinkel: Nathalie, do you know when we get any confirmation back? But I know there

is a lot of movement around.

Nathalie Peregrine: Sorry, Bart, no I don't.

Bart Boswinkel: No. Yeah, so it's written in the stars.

Heather Forrest: Well see. If Santa brings us a 12:15 Monday meeting then we will be...

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah, but that's - at least that's the goal, say, based on the previous

conversation. So I think, say, if that could - look, we can always have parallel sessions. The only real risk is that we run into, say, high topics which will

attract a lot of people and there will be in Singapore.

Heather Forrest: Well I still think it will be better than Thursday morning because we were

getting nowhere...

Bart Boswinkel: Oh yeah, absolutely. Yeah.

((Crosstalk))

Bart Boswinkel: Absolutely. Absolutely.

Heather Forrest: So good. Marvelous. Anything else we need to do in our last meeting for

2014? No. Excellent. Well, everyone have a wonderful holiday.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

Heather Forrest: Our next meeting now we booked in for the 13th of January for the co chairs

call.

Annabeth Lange: Good.

((Crosstalk))

Heather Forrest: And, Lars, you have - you have a few things on your to do list now, you have

the high level summary. And if you need any help from us you just shout.

((Crosstalk))

Heather Forrest: And, Bart, you are working with the stars on our next meeting timetable.

Annabeth Lange: Yeah.

Heather Forrest: Our face to face.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah and the second one is that I will submit the...

Heather Forrest: Yes.

Bart Boswinkel: ...say the letter on behalf of the co-chairs. And, say, Heather, you will contact

Peter Nettlefold copying in Olga and send them and invite them at the same

time to participate in the working group - reiterate the invitation.

Heather Forrest: I will. I will there, yeah.

Bart Boswinkel: Let's see if we can...

Heather Forrest: Marvelous.

Bart Boswinkel: Yeah.

Carlos Raul Gutierrez: Okay. Thank you very much.

Heather Forrest: Okay. Thank you everyone.

((Crosstalk))

Annabeth Lange: Thank you and have a nice...

((Crosstalk))

Annabeth Lange: ...bye-bye.

Heather Forrest: Bye now.

((Crosstalk))

END