Joint ccNSO-GNSO IDN Group (JIG) TRANSCRIPTION

Tuesday 30 August 2011 at 1200 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Joint ccNSO-GNSO IDN Group (JIG) meeting on Tuesday 30 August 2011 at 1200 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-jig-20110830-en.mp3

On page: http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#aug

Attendees:

Edmon Chung, RySG, Co-Chair Rafik Dammak, NCSG

ICANN Staff:

Bart Boswinkel Dennis Jennings Kristina Nordström

Apologies:

Fahd Batayneh, .jo Avri Doria, NCSG (Observer) Jothan Frakes, IDN VIP (Observer) Jian Zhang, NomCom Appointee, Co-Chair Avri Doria, NCSG June Seo, RySG Sun XianTang, .cn

Coordinator: The call is now recorded. Please go ahead.

Kristina Nordstrom: Thank you. Hello everyone and welcome to today's JIG call on the 30th of August 2011. On the call we have Rafik Dammak and Edmon Chung. From ICANN Staff, Bart Boswinkel, Dennis Jennings and Kristina Nordstrom.

Apologies from Jian Zhang, Bob Bratina, Avri Doria and Jothan Frakes. Thank you.

Edmon Chung:

So thank you Kristina. It's - and thank you Rafik for joining and Staff for joining to support the call. I guess we'd like to pick the discussion back up, given that a small gathering here.

It's - it was quite expected as the IDN VIP continues with its work, the JIG will be looking a little bit slower and we're implementing some items on the third issue, which is the Universal Acceptance of IDN TLDs.

So I sent around a brief agenda earlier and I guess the first item was the Single Character IDN TLDs Report. I see that Bart sent back - the Board sent back the Board resolution to the list.

Thank you Bart. I guess the follow up question is perhaps anything that this group should do. There are a number of questions that were put to the Board. I guess whether it makes sense for this group perhaps to make some comments or response to it.

Bart Boswinkel:

This is Bart. I've been talking with Kurt about this and they - my take on it is the following: that if you look at it say the last rule - asset rule we requested to provide some input, as well as the GAC and ALAC on different aspects.

My understanding from Kurt is that he will send out a letter to this group, or at least say on behalf of ICANN Staff and there will be a pointer to the JIG and their intention, or not - intention is the wrong word - their availability to be available for consultation.

I don't know the timeline yet for when these letters will be sent out as stuff is picking up, so that's one on the involvement of the JIG in the consultations with SSAC, GAC and ALAC and it's probably a good idea to await this letter and then you - the JIG has an opportunity to inform and to provide clarifications to the different groups.

That's one. I think a second note and that's probably very important for the JIG itself to note is the reference to the timetable of the say the first application round and - which is in the Board resolution.

I think at this stage my advice would be for the JIG first of all to await the timeline as Staff has been directed to produce, and I'll get in touch with and remain in touch with Kurt to see how the invitations and the letters through the different Stakeholders' Group will evolve, and inform the JIG accordingly.

Edmon Chung:

Okay I think that sounds fine. I - I'll further this discussion on the list as well and perhaps basically raise the question on whether we should respond proactively on some of the items.

I did see the timeline, especially on moving it beyond the first round and also tying it up with the IDN ccTLD, so basically a ccPDP, that those are interesting I guess developments. So I'll - I

Bart Boswinkel:

Sorry. Edmon, we'll be going to the IDN ccPDP so that shouldn't be too much of an issue I would say. I think the IDN Working Group dealing with it will take in and has taken in the JIG Report anyway.

Edmon Chung:

Right. It does have an interesting note that says, you know, that even if, you know, SSAC and ALAC and GAC are comfortable with going forward with it and the second round happens and - but if it's before the completion of the IDN ccPDP, that would conflict with the current resolution.

I find that kind of interesting. So there - it's an interesting tie in between the - this is probably the first ever gTLD and ccTLD sort of oops that has been tied in terms of the progress of each being able to move forward, which is kind of

quite different from anything that has been said by a ccTLD and the JIG on these type of issues.

So the Board made a rather interesting resolution on that particular point. So I wonder if that specifically - I would guess that more people might want to raise that issue, because it clearly departured from the GNSO and the cc - whatever the recommendations on policy with ccNSO and the GNSO have said previously.

So I'll just send around some of those thoughts and see if anyone is willing to pick it up, and see what we might do further. Since Dennis is on the call it would be - I wonder if I can pass the mic to you to give a really, really brief update on how we're going with the IDN VIP study team, especially on - we have sort of synchronized part of our work here to wait for the work - the initial work that's coming out from the study team, and perhaps that you would remain itemless, whether that's on its track and I'll get everybody ready to get started based on the anticipated schedule.

Dennis Jennings: Thank you Edmon. Dennis Jennings here. Yes, well the six case study teams are working away hard and are having a number of face-to-face meetings.

The Devanagari team had a face-to-face meeting a few weeks ago with the

Chinese script team last week.

The other teams are planning meetings in September. They all claim to be on schedule to deliver first draft reports over the next few weeks for review and discussion, and a final report by the 30th of September.

I'm not yet in a position to know whether that deadline would be - will actually be met but everybody seems to be confident that it will, and we're still insisting on it.

So assuming that that is met by all six teams, those reports will go out for public comment in early October as soon as we can turn them around. And

the - it'll be the normal public comment period, although we would encourage people to make comments in time for consideration by the Dakar meeting, which is not quite the full public comment period after the reports would be published.

I'm not quite sure how to handle that but we thought that out, so we expect that the reports will be published let's say the 3rd or 4th of October. If it's 30 days that brings us into November, so we'll have to just refine that a little bit.

But anyway we hope to have some feedback by the Dakar meeting, and when we do have the feedback the case study teams will consider the feedback to produce a final report.

In parallel we are working on the - sorry, the case study team individual of final versions of the individual report. In parallel with this we're working on the appointment of a number of members of the various teams, plus some project staff on the - to a team that will develop the final project report, which will try - attempt to consolidate and reconcile the six case study team reports if that is indeed possible.

And it's intended that that team will have a closed session on the Saturday in Dakar. I believe it's intended to invite a member of the JIG to be an observer at that meeting, and then to report to the community on the Monday or Tuesday of the ICANN public meeting on progress on the six case studies and on the initial work of the final report.

Though fingers crossed we seem to be making a lot of progress. A lot of hard work is certainly being - going into it and we'll actually deliver to that schedule. So that's my update Edmon.

Edmon Chung:

Thank you Dennis and we'll certainly be happy to contribute to that team and to that meeting, and great to hear that things are progressing forward smoothly.

And I have been sort of observing the domain list. I do see quite a bit of movement and in terms of face-to-face meeting I did participate in the Chinese one and I think I plan to - I'm looking at being at the others as well.

But - so I guess we'll start, you know, we also put out a - sort of a - our target timelines and we'll try to see how we would get prepared and stick to it.

Sorry, is it my computer? Okay, back to - moving on to the next item, update on the note to IETF. I see that Avri's not here. She sent in her apologies, so I'll chase her up on this.

She said she was going to put something together for quite some time. I'll - we'll chase her up on this. I think the idea of thought definitely considering the work and as we progress the JIG, I mean, the VIP is also producing good material, which could be fed into the IETF discussion as well.

So there is definitely some part we'd like to bring over to the IETF. Okay, so really the final item is to continue the discussion on the initial report on universal acceptance of IDN TLDs that's ongoing.

I sent a - an updated draft with the comments we received from the previous meeting, adding in and pretty much completing the backgrounds and related work section, which was the extent of the discussion last time, and so I guess we'll try to continue.

I think for this meeting since we don't have a lot of people on this call, I guess I'll suggest not going into the actual substance of the report, but rather looking at a couple of things.

One is the - sorry, my IM notification is probably making some noise here but I - because I don't have a headset. I apologize. It might continue to be the case.

Anyway, so in terms of the - in terms of substance I think I'll continue with the - some discussion on the mailing list. I was reviewing the items on the policy - potential policy aspects and other considerations part, which we talked about briefly last time.

I think we also talked about coming up with a potential checklist or things that new TLDs including IDN ccTLDs and IDN gTLDs we should pay attention to, and those issues I was thinking through and I have a few suggestions perhaps how to categorize some of the issues, rather if it's - trying to come up with an exhaustive list might be a very difficult task or, you know, a somewhat impossible task.

But as we categorize and identify all the types of issues, we might get a better framework that could be added on as we go along. So I think that was the suggestion and I'll put it out to the list.

On the other item that I want to maybe spend a little bit of time talking about here since we do have our Staff support team here, is we were sort of planning to have a public session on this topic in Dakar so that we can try to gather more input from the community, especially on this subject.

I think this subject is - should be of community wide interest. In fact a lot of people have indicated to me that they wanted to participate and talk about this particular issue.

So I was wondering, you know, how we can start the coordination to get a public session there and we'll also need to work on - because in order - I guess the best way in order to get the pubic session going is also to have a - the initial report published for public comments maybe just before Dakar, which was the initial IDN anyway and have the public session in Dakar. So I wonder if Bart or Kristina...

Bart Boswinkel:

Let me take this Edmon. I think what I would suggest is that you and Jian and me do this offline and get back to the group in two weeks. I think the say as you rightfully said and we had this discussion a couple of months already ago, this is of broad interest and it depends on yes, how large an audience you want where we want to schedule it and at what time.

Say we can do it in the usual way as looking for - and that's maybe a fall back option to have this public session, excuse me, on Monday afternoon in one of the smaller rooms, but maybe we can do it and set it up a bit broader over that short day.

But I suggest that we first go into what you really want, because I think this is of yes, pretty much importance and a good opportunity to create awareness for the topic.

Edmon Chung:

Yes, since Dennis is here as well I was - actually I chatted briefly with Jian and we thought if Dennis works with you or if the scheduling works it might be useful to do a back-to-back with the VIP public session as well, because we might be targeting pretty much the same - a lot of the similar group and, you know, we - if we do a back-to-back, you know, it might - and we might draw more people for both.

Bart Boswinkel:

Yes it's - that's an opportunity yes, or that's an option as well. I suggest let's work over the next two weeks and see what we can come up and propose as to the group.

Edmon Chung:

Sure. So, you know, I think - I'd like for it to gather more, I mean, at least get a chance to gather more attention from the community. I think that it's, you know, out of the three issues that the JIG is taking on this is, you know, in my mind the most important because - well of course because the variance issue has been taken up largely by the team already, so this becomes a - one of the most important parts.

So - and I think it is, you know, especially when we talk about new gTLDs there's a - there's an interest there as well. So yes, so I'd like to get there input.

And then this is also an issue that needs more people participating and getting the word out to try to bring awareness as well, so that's my thinking right now.

Bart Boswinkel: Dennis, do you want to say anything?

Dennis Jennings: I think it might be a good idea if it can be arranged. Two back-to-back meetings would be a big chunk of time. I suspect it'd be very difficult to arrange, but I'd have absolutely no objections. In fact I think it's a good idea to have two back-to-back meetings like that.

Bart Boswinkel: Yes. Yes, let me check say with scheduling and let's see what we can do over the next two weeks. Say we always have a fall back option which is easy to arrange, but then it will not get the attention I think this topic warrants.

Dennis Jennings: Good. Thank you.

Edmon Chung: Yes, so I guess I'll wait for you Bart and you can connect with myself and Jian and what - I guess - I don't know. If Dennis is open to this arrangement then maybe, you know, we'll - could have - be acting in this in terms of the scheduling as well. I'm happy to...

Bart Boswinkel: No. I think that the major issue will be I think twofold, and I can - what I foresee first of all is timing. As always say having two larger sessions back-to-back is going to be difficult to arrange, because there are other topics as well.

So that's one, and secondly and I think this is something for you Edmon and for the JIG as well, if you do it and if you want to do it in a say wider audience including those although interested are not really aware of it.

I think we need to think or the JIG needs to think about some good presenters and speakers and the format.

Edmon Chung: Yes, that's, you know, it depends on the time slot we get. I - I'm somewhat

confident that - and that's precisely what I was hoping to do is to get, you know, get - make the session more - I don't know, I would say almost

marketed.

Bart Boswinkel: Yes, and I think if - say if - say in order to say how it works, if we can find

good presenters, et cetera it makes it easier to schedule something.

Edmon Chung: Okay.

Bart Boswinkel: So it's - that's why I propose to use the upcoming two weeks to try to arrange

something.

Edmon Chung: Oh okay. And so you're - I guess you're suggesting the other way around

where we try to put together a program as we fight for a spot that...

Bart Boswinkel: Yes, do it in parallel.

Edmon Chung: Sounds good. Okay, and I guess with that I think there - come to an end of

the session. I - as I mentioned I think the substance of the report - I'll send

some thoughts to the mailing list and we'll leave it for our next session.

I'm anticipating better participation then as we come to the close for summer

in the Northern Hemisphere.

Bart Boswinkel: Yes.

Edmon Chung: So I guess with that Rafik, do you have any other things you want to bring up

or anyone else? If not I guess we'll wrap it here and thank you everyone for

joining this call.

Bart Boswinkel: Okay, thank you.

Edmon Chung: Thank you very much.

Bart Boswinkel: Okay, bye-bye.

Edmon Chung: Have a good night.

Kristina Nordstrom: Thank you very much. We can stop the recording.

END