ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

whois-tf1-report-comments

PFIR Comments on Access to WHOIS Data

  • To: whois-tf1-report-comments@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: PFIR Comments on Access to WHOIS Data
  • From: Eric Dierker <ericdierker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:50:11 -0700 (PDT)
  • --0-783787932-1087678211=: 63225

I find it quite interesting that this comment suggests preclusion of automatic notification to a domain holder that their data has been queired based on a notion of potential for retribution. That is exactly why the original "Whois" data base is in direct conflict with California Law on privacy. (Congressional and California Attorney General Reports on the Patriot Act will provide you with necessary citations.)
Most lay people cannot afford the average cost of 35,000.00 USD to defend a lawsuit that a large firm can produce in fifteen minutes using wordperfect and search and replace substituting Whois culled data on a preprogramed matrix.
As for the Technical necessity of the data, I can not think of a single instance in which a name and personal address are necessary to correct such matters.
Have these people never heard of stalkers?
Eric Dierker