ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

tf2-sg2

RE: [tf2-sg2] DAT 2 --- the consent piece

  • To: "'Steve Metalitz'" <metalitz@xxxxxxxx>, "'Jordyn A. Buchanan'" <jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [tf2-sg2] DAT 2 --- the consent piece
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:14:55 -0600
  • Cc: "'Thomas Roessler'" <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'GNSO Secretariat'" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tf2-sg2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-tf2-sg2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Steve,

I'm confused. How is "express consent" being defined? In one paragraph you
state that Go Daddy does not get it, the next paragraph states that we do
get consent in the registration agreement. Evidently there is a difference
between express consent and consent? If so, it isn't coming through very
clearly.

Go Daddy, Blue Razor, and Wild West customers cannot complete a purchase
unless they accept the Registration Agreement, which includes the following
(taken from Go Daddy's RA):

"You agree that for each domain name registered by You the following
information will be made publicly available in the Whois directory as
determined by ICANN Policy and may be sold in bulk as set forth in the ICANN
agreement:

The domain name
Your name and postal address
The email address, postal address, voice and fax numbers for technical and
administrative contacts
The Internet protocol numbers for the primary and secondary name servers
The corresponding names of the name servers
The original date of registration and expiration date

You agree that, to the extent permitted by ICANN, Go Daddy may make use of
the publicly available information You provided during the registration
process."

I see that as giving consent of some kind. I have seen numerous other
Registrars' RAs with similar clauses and processes that require acceptance
of it to register names.

Tim