[registrars] 2011 Membership

  • To: <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] 2011 Membership
  • From: "Matt Serlin" <matt.serlin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 11:41:08 -0600
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Registrars,

The vote on our 2010 -2011 budget has been completed and the new budget
has been approved. I am now writing to all of you to discuss your
membership in the Registrars Stakeholder Group (RrSG).

For most of you the membership will be a renewal but for some registrars
it will be the first time you are able to join the RrSG. Once again we
have been able to keep the cost the same as previous years, US$500 for
an annual membership. The membership is for the fiscal year July 1, 2010
- June 30th 2011 (same as ICANN's fiscal year), and as usual we are just
a little late in collections.

This has been a very active year in the RrSG as registrars have been
involved in issues such as Vertical Integration, new TLD guidebook,
amendments to the RAA, post-expiration domain issues as well as changes
to GNSO policy. A great deal of the work representing registrar
interests has been completed by registrars acting as volunteers, but
also by our registrar advocates, which are retained positions. As more
issues come to light regarding registrars we will need to rely more on
our paid advocates to bring expertise and help bear the workload.
Accordingly, we need to maintain a strong membership in the RrSG.

As a member of the RsG, you are able to discuss, debate and vote on how
registrars are represented at ICANN and in other policy arenas.  These
discussions on new TLDs, the RAA and other topical matters happen at
both ICANN meetings and on our private RrSG mailing list.  So you do not
need to attend an ICANN meeting to participate, but you do need to be a
paid member to be on the mailing lists.

For those that do attend ICANN meetings, only paid members will be able
to participate in the closed-door meetings of registrars and have the
ability to vote on RrSG positions. Sorry, no exceptions.

We strongly encourage everyone to renew/join for this year. The nominal
amount from each Registrar collectively allows us to have a strong
voice. Payments must be received by December 15, 2010 for membership.
For those that decide not to renew their memberships, please realize you
will be removed from all RrSG mailing lists effective January 1, 2011.

If you are interested in membership for the period, please pay the
invoice you will receive to our assistant Cristin Donahue, and return
the information requested.  If you have not received an invoice by
November 20, 2010, or are interested in joining for the first time
please contact Cristin directly at Cristin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Please
check your spam mailbox for Cristin's email if you have not received
your invoice and make sure to white list her address for future

correspondence)

Regards,

Matt Serlin

Secretary