RE: [registrars] Board meeting agenda for 15 Feb 2008 in New Delhi

  • To: "Adrian Kinderis" <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Registrars Constituency" <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Board meeting agenda for 15 Feb 2008 in New Delhi
  • From: "Jeffrey Eckhaus" <jeckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 19:01:09 -0500
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All,

I am not sure if we will have time to form a sub-committee and report
back to the Registrars before our meeting on Tuesday, due to length of
time of flights and time in New Delhi. But, if anyone is on the
Continental flight from Newark to New Delhi on Friday night, we have 14
hours to talk. Come see me.

I do think it is worth registrars reviewing the budget and reporting
back to the list on what some of the key issues are of the budget, and
then we can discuss at our meeting on Tuesday.

Here are some of the items I thought are of important consideration to
Registrars:

The first assumption is that revenues will derive primarily from growth
in the domain name space and that the fees per transaction year will
remain consistent at $0.20. I think as registrars we would like to see
the details on what is the expected growth in domain names for the
fiscal year and what that change is from the previous 3 years of YOY
growth.  We are the ones ultimately selling the domains and these
numbers should jive with our collective budgets.

The second revenue assumption of ICANN is there will be "no refund of
ICANN fees for registrations (in effect, elimination of the add-grace
period)". It seems this is already factored into the budget as a source
of revenue, not open to discussion or thresholds. Is this where the
growth is coming from? This is a very troubling line item that we need
to discuss.

The third assumption is that a large expense this year will be the
introductions of IDNs and new gTLDs. Then there is the assumption that
"Detailed forecasting of revenue and expenses for this brand new area is
really not practical at this time". If there is a large interest in new
TLD's and that is why ICANN is launching this program, why not force
ICANN to balance the budget and have the fee structure to cover the
costs of implementation? This is the time when forecasting of revenue
(from applications for new TLD's) and expenses is needed, so the burden
of launching new TLD's does not fall on registrars and ultimately
customers.

These are the three major issues I have noticed on the revenue side of
the budget that need to be discussed. I will review the expense side
over the next few days and also want to thank Bruce for his notification
and urging (may be a strong word) for registrars to review the
expenditure side of the budget

Jeff