[registrars] ICANN funding for Council travel

  • To: "'Registrars Constituency'" <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] ICANN funding for Council travel
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:20:58 -0700
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd like to clear up a couple of possible misunderstandings.

1. Personally, I think it is reasonable for ICANN to fund some amount of
Council travel. In fact, I think it is no less important for the Council
to attend ICANN meetings than for the Board. The Council are no less
volunteers than the Board, and their policy work/management is the basis
of policy decisions made by the Board. So unless policy work at ICANN
meetings is curbed, I think it important that a good balance of
Councilors be encouraged to attend. However, I understand many of the
arguments that have been made against such funding and I want to be
clear that regardless of my personal views I will support and promote
the consensus view of the RC.

2. My decision not to attend the meeting in Delhi in person has nothing
to do with travel costs, or the above funding issue. I have attended
every ICANN meeting since Rome on Go Daddy's nickel (and some of my own
nickels when my wife joins me) and fully intended to be in Delhi as
well. But my wife pretty much shattered her ankle and required surgery.
She has a long road ahead of her to recovery and I just perfer not to
leave her in someone else's care until she can do a little more for
herself. I will participate remotely to the extent it is made available.

Tim