RE: [registrars] OUTCOMES REPORT OF THE GNSO AD HOC GROUP ON DOMAIN NAME TASTING

  • To: <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] OUTCOMES REPORT OF THE GNSO AD HOC GROUP ON DOMAIN NAME TASTING
  • From: "Jothan Frakes" <jfrakes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 13:12:40 -0700
  • Cc: "Registrars Constituency" <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ross-

I can't speak for the three particular registrars that submitted the
'Cart Hold' concept for the straw poll, as to if they had or had not
secured some form of payment similar to how a department store might do
a 'layaway' of a given item of merchandise, or even some form of an
'open to buy' action on a credit card similar to what a hotel does when
you check in.

It seems to me that intuitively a registrar implementing such a feature
would be motivated to take some precaution such as taking a deposit, to
protect from irresponsible use or abuse, such as someone coming in and
tying up a large volume of domain names and thus the registrar's balance
at the registry.

If nothing else, the financial risk associated with offering a service
like this seems to be motivation to cover one's assets, so to speak.

-Jothan

Jothan Frakes

Oversee Domain Services

515 S. Flower Street, Suite 4400
Los Angeles, CA 90071
direct +1.213.925.5206
cell +1.206.355.0230
jfrakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.domainsponsor.com

Confidentiality Warning: This e-mail contains information intended only
for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of
this e-mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any
dissemination, publication or copying of this e-mail is strictly
prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss,
disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur
while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this e-mail. If you
have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by
return e-mail. Thank you and have a nice day.  No lawyers were harmed in
the creation of this disclaimer.