RE: [registrars] FYI re: Transfers

  • To: <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>, <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] FYI re: Transfers
  • From: "Thomas Barrett - EnCirca" <tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 17:09:35 -0400
  • Cc: "'elliot noss'" <enoss@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Registrars Constituency'" <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The original intent should certainly be documented and considered to see how
much of it is still relevant.  But the starting point for any proposed
changes must be what has been published and relied upon by the entire
industry.

The internet today is different than it was a few years ago.  While I do not
doubt the original intent can be accurately captured, I have no idea how
much of it is still relevant.  Nor do I know the costs required to comply
with a policy rewritten to better reflect "original intent".

Business decisions, by necessity, must be based on what has been published
by ICANN as official policy.

I'm sure there are registrars who were involved in the original process, who
developed their software based on intent rather than the published policy.
However, many registrars were not involved in the original process.  They
relied on the written concensus policy posted by ICANN.  Software has been
written and business processes developed based on what was published.

To change the current concensus policy without community consultation would
therefore be inappropriate.

Regards,

Tom Barrett
EnCirca, Inc