Re: [registrars] FW: MUSEUM proposal

  • To: "Kurt Pritz" <pritz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] FW: MUSEUM proposal
  • From: "Robert F. Connelly" <BobC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 11:00:51 -0700
  • Cc: Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At 09:42 AM 3/22/2007 Thursday&nbsp; -0400, Nevett, Jonathon wrote:<br>
letter from ICANN related to the<br>
proposal of the .museum registry operator/sponsor to be able to
register<br>
up to 5,000 domain names.&nbsp; This letter will help guide our
discussion on<br>
this topic during the upcoming meeting in Lisbon. </blockquote><br>
Dear Kurt: Let me paste in some of your text:
<ul>
<li>The significant language barrier potential .MUSEUM registrants
encounter when attempting to register a domain. Potential registrants
have reported to .MUSEUM that they are not able to process registrations
given the difficulty of basic business communications with registrars.
This issue is further complicated by the limited number of accredited
registrars.; and,
<li>The barrier potential registrants have reported in their ability to
conduct business in their native currency. Currency instabilities around
the world have contributed to this problem and registrants have found it
difficult, if not impossible, to conduct and pay for registrations in
their own form of currency.
The second is very real and should be addressed by the registry.&nbsp; At
PSI-Japan,&nbsp; we registered a number of domains for not-for-profit
organization, e.g. churches, fraternal organizations.&nbsp; Domains Only
continues that practice.&nbsp; We pay the registries in the normal way
out of our shallow pockets.&nbsp; <br><br>
I lived in Japan from 1971 till 2002 and traveled all over SE Asia, I
know difficult the foreign remittance problems are.&nbsp; Japan relaxed
foreign exchange rules in the early '80's, but the minimum cost of a one
time foreign remittance is far more than the cost of a domain.&nbsp;
Korea has also liberalized.&nbsp; But many, many countries still have
very restrictive rules.<br><br>
I propose that several registrars cooperate with .Museum.&nbsp; Our firm,
for example, would register pro bono for third world museums on .Museum's
recommendations -- .Museum should offer to do the same -- and ICANN
should do so, too, since you, Kurt, think there is a valid need.&nbsp;
Oh, the language problem.&nbsp; I seriously doubt that credible museums
in the third world are unable to handle languages from one or more
registrars countries.&nbsp; If a few have problems, a way can be
found.<br><br>
Regards, BobC<br><br>