RE: [registrars] John Klensin's view on Single-letter second level domains

  • To: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] John Klensin's view on Single-letter second level domains
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 05:14:32 -0700
  • Cc: Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Not advocating anything one way or another, but I don't buy John's
concern below:</div>
&gt; these labels and making a single-character mistake will
almost<BR>
&gt; certainly reach an unintended host. &nbsp;In a world in which,
for<BR>
&gt; most users, simply opening a web page associated with an
unknown<BR>
&gt; site can be sufficient for virus infection, it is simply
unwise,<BR>
&gt; and IMO, not in the best interests of the Internet, for ICANN
to<BR>
&gt; consider relaxing the current rule. &nbsp; But the reason has
nothing<BR>&gt; to do with DNS expansion, infrastructure, or any other narrowly<BR>&gt; technical reason.<BR></div>
If I am typing in a 10 character label I have ten times the risk of
mistyping a character than I do when typing in a single character label. The risk he's concerned about has nothing to do with the length of a second level label. </div>
Same is true for misuse of IDN characters. If someone is going to click
on links in an email or a web page, they are&nbsp;taking&nbsp;the same&nbsp;risk&nbsp;regardless of the length of the second level label in&nbsp;the URL.</div>
The solution&nbsp;to either these problems has nothing to do with the
length of second level labels. I hope&nbsp;that as the WG examines this issue it doesn't get sidetracked with these kinds of misconceptions. <BR></div>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid">-------- Original Message --------<BR>
Subject: [registrars] John Klensin's view on &nbsp;Single-letter
second<BR>level domains<BR>From: "Bruce Tonkin" &lt;Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Fri, January 19, 2007 1:51 am<BR>To: "Registrars Constituency" &lt;registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR><BR>-----Original Message-----<BR>From: Liz Williams<BR>Sent: Friday, 19 January 2007 6:31 PM<BR>To: GNSO Council<BR>Subject: [council] Fwd: Single-letter second level domains<BR><BR>Colleagues<BR><BR>Please find below a note from John Klensin which I received this<BR>morning. &nbsp;He has asked me to forward it to the list.<BR><BR>I will be speaking with John and Steve later today if their schedules<BR>permit.<BR><BR>Liz<BR>.....................................................<BR><BR>Liz Williams<BR>Senior Policy Counselor<BR>ICANN - Brussels<BR>+32 2 234 7874 tel<BR>+32 2 234 7848 fax<BR>+32 497 07 4243 mob<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>Begin forwarded message:<BR><BR>&gt; From: John C Klensin <BR>&gt; Date: Thu 18 Jan 2007 19:26:34 GMT+01:00<BR>&gt; To: liz.williams<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Subject!
 : Single-letter second level domains<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Liz,<BR>&gt;<BR>
&gt; Your recent note to the GNSO Council about single-letter
domains<BR>&gt; (http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/council/msg03148.html)<BR>
&gt; and the attached report was just called to my attention.
&nbsp;I'm<BR>
&gt; copying Steve Crocker on this note since the topic is very
much<BR>&gt; a stability issue and not a provision for expansion or<BR>&gt; infrastructure one.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; The premise of the report, that the main reason for reserving<BR>&gt; single-letter names was to permit future expansion, is not<BR>
&gt; correct. &nbsp;That explanation is, instead, the consequence of
a<BR>
&gt; long-term, and oft-repeated, misunderstanding. &nbsp;I've
tried<BR>&gt; explaining this several time to a number of people and groups<BR>&gt; within ICANN including various senior staff, both of the<BR>&gt; previous IANA managers, and several of the members of the<BR>&gt; community who have been pushing for single-character<BR>&gt; registrations.<BR>&gt;<BR>
&gt; The notion that single-character names should be reserved
for<BR>
&gt; expansion of the DNS derives from an almost offhand comment
Jon<BR>
&gt; Postel made many years ago. &nbsp;The essence of the comment
was<BR>&gt; that, given all of the confusion and problems that had been<BR>
&gt; created by trying to associate TLDs with specific semantics,
we<BR>&gt; would have been better off with TLDs named "b ... y" (reserving<BR>
&gt; "a" and "z" for future expansion and because people might
think<BR>
&gt; they had special value). &nbsp;When someone asked for a domain
name<BR>
&gt; at the second level, they would then be randomly assigned to
one<BR>
&gt; of those single-character TLDs. &nbsp;A somewhat fanciful set
of<BR>
&gt; notes circulated for a while that elaborated on this idea.
&nbsp;That<BR>
&gt; document never made it into formal publication although part
of<BR>
&gt; it inspired an alternative option for ENUM that also was
never<BR>
&gt; published. &nbsp;It should be stressed that these ideas were more
of<BR>
&gt; the character of whimsical musings than serious proposals.
&nbsp;They<BR>&gt; were never considered as serious proposals even by their<BR>&gt; originators.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; In any event, that particular idea about DNS expansion would<BR>
&gt; never have produced "Example.a.com". &nbsp;It might have
produced<BR>
&gt; "example.com.b" (as mentioned above, "a" and "z" were, in
that<BR>
&gt; idea, permanently reserved) or, more likely, "example.d"
or<BR>&gt; "example.cc.b".<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; There was apparently an entirely separate and unrelated<BR>
&gt; suggestion about reserving one-character labels at some level
of<BR>
&gt; the DNS for infrastructure use, much as subdomains of .ARPA
are<BR>
&gt; used today. &nbsp; While I remember hearing about that idea, I
think<BR>&gt; it was just a suggestion made during a meeting or conversation.<BR>
&gt; As far as I know, the suggestion was never written down
or<BR>&gt; explained, much less turned into a proposal that anyone<BR>&gt; considered or approved.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; The reason for the prohibition on single-character registrations<BR>&gt; was strictly a matter of identifier integrity and DNS stability.<BR>&gt; Specifically, it was intended to reduce the odds of false<BR>
&gt; positive errors if a one-character typing error was made.
&nbsp;The<BR>&gt; prohibition on the use of underscore ("_") in domain names,<BR>&gt; given that hyphen ("-") was going to be permitted, was largely<BR>
&gt; driven by very similar &nbsp; considerations. &nbsp;I believe that,
had we<BR>
&gt; realized that we would end up with millions of names in
some<BR>
&gt; TLDs and almost complete saturation of the two-character
and<BR>&gt; three-character spaces in those TLDs, registration of<BR>
&gt; two-character SLDs probably would have been prohibited as
well.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; That reason has not changed. &nbsp;If one permits (and encourages,<BR>&gt; which, in today's market, is much the same thing), single-letter<BR>&gt; registrations, it is safe to assume that all 26 labels will<BR>&gt; swiftly be populated (single-digit labels raise some additional<BR>
&gt; issues because they are very easily used in certain types
of<BR>
&gt; tricky-syntax phishing attacks). &nbsp; Anyone trying to use one
of<BR>
&gt; these labels and making a single-character mistake will
almost<BR>
&gt; certainly reach an unintended host. &nbsp;In a world in which,
for<BR>
&gt; most users, simply opening a web page associated with an
unknown<BR>
&gt; site can be sufficient for virus infection, it is simply
unwise,<BR>
&gt; and IMO, not in the best interests of the Internet, for ICANN
to<BR>
&gt; consider relaxing the current rule. &nbsp; But the reason has
nothing<BR>&gt; to do with DNS expansion, infrastructure, or any other narrowly<BR>&gt; technical reason.<BR>&gt;<BR>
&gt; Just as we try to learn and extrapolate from our experience
with<BR>&gt; ASCII domain name labels to IDNs, we should also take advantage<BR>&gt; of our experience with IDNs to inform our decisions about<BR>
&gt; possible changes to rules about ASCII labels. &nbsp; When the
example<BR>&gt; of the "paypal" domain (with Cyrillic "a"s) was widely<BR>&gt; publicized, one of the primary reactions in the user and<BR>
&gt; observer communities was outrage that the various actors in
the<BR>&gt; domain name environment (and the certificate-issuing<BR>
&gt; environment) had permitted a registration whose obvious
purpose<BR>
&gt; was to make it easy for users to make a potentially nasty
and<BR>
&gt; identity-compromising mistake. &nbsp;I don't believe we need
that<BR>&gt; lesson again about single-character SLDs.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Please forward this message as appropriate -- I don't believe<BR>&gt; that I can post to the Council list.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; regards,<BR>&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp;john<BR>&gt; </BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>