[registrars] From Treasurer of Registrars Constituency, WARNING, CAUTION, possible phishing.

  • To: Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] From Treasurer of Registrars Constituency, WARNING, CAUTION, possible phishing.
  • From: "Robert F. Connelly" <BobC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:56:40 -0800
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Members:<br><br>
Several of our members have received the following Email.&nbsp; The first
red text was highlighted by me to show the obvious misspelling of
&quot;following&quot;:<br><br>
Mail Body: Registrar XXXXX has signed up with email id:
XXX@xxxxxxx<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><br><br>
Please sign in and click on the <font color="#FF0000">folling</font> link
http://www.icannregistrars.org/Default.aspx?tabid=38</a> for registrar
approval/rejection. <br><br>
Regards, <br>
Site Admin<br><br>
close quote:<br><br>
The source of the incoming email was&nbsp;
&lt;admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;.&nbsp; Whoever wrote it has no official
standing with the Registrars Constituency.&nbsp; Please be
cautious.&nbsp; Do not attempt to pay any RC fees on this site.&nbsp; Do
not give any passwords, credit card numbers, etc.&nbsp; It may well be a
phishing expedition:-(<br><br>
One registrar *did* attempt to pay through this web site.&nbsp; He wrote
to Jay and me as follows:<br><br>
in the payment of membership fee, I would<br>
be grateful if you could give me better ways to pay it. I am not
sure<br>
to whom I should ask the trouble, I would appreciate your providing<br>
the name, title, or e-mail address I may contact, if you know.<br><br>
card,</font> I received the<br>
'Documents Required' notice which required us to submit fax<br>
authorization by signature because of HIGH RISK classification for
our<br>
business credit card. ... </blockquote><br>
the trackingid and re-register and pay with<br>
another credit card. I found that our name doesn't exist in 'Select<br>
registrar:' list on page for Register at<br>
http://www.icannregistrars.org/Default.aspx?tabid=43&amp;ctl=Register</a>
, as<br>
we are in process of registration. </blockquote><br>
end quote:<br><br>
I, too, tried to sign in but could not find Domains Only on the
list.&nbsp; I checked for other missing registrars, none that I checked
were there, netsol, Godaddy, psi-japan, etc.<br><br>
The red highlighting, above, is mine. It looks very much as though this
registrar has been exposed to phishing.&nbsp; <br><br>
Jay has &quot;scrambled&quot; the DNS for icannregistrars.org so there
should be no more exposure.&nbsp; If any of you has already put data in
the web site, take protective measures ASAP.<br><br>
Regards,<br>
Bob Connelly<br>
Treasurer<br><br>
&nbsp; </body>