[registrars] Re: Tax on your Grassfire email

  • To: Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Re: Tax on your Grassfire email
  • From: "Robert F. Connelly" <BobC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:30:20 -0800
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At 02:25 PM 2/21/06, Steve Elliott wrote:
+ +
>From the Desk of:
Steve Elliott, President
Grassfire.org

Dear RC Members:  Interesting trend.  Wonder if it's permitted.  Regards, BobC

2/21/06

Robert,

AOL and Yahoo have announced that they will soon begin
imposing their own delivery fee (i.e. private sector
"tax") on email sent by groups like Grassfire to our
team members. If they succeed, we expect every internet
provider will follow their lead.

Note-- you will NOT directly pay this fee -- it will be
paid by groups like Grassfire. But indirectly, you WILL
pay in several ways, including the possibility of having
your Grassfire emails cut off and an immediate muzzling
of online grassroots activism. Even worse -- we believe
this will mark the beginning of the end of the free
email era!

This is one of the most serious threats to grassroots
citizen activism that we have seen. We are launching a
petition to stop this plan and I am asking every
Grassfire team member to take immediate action with
me to stop this dangerous threat.

For more information, including an audio report,
and to sign the petition:

http://www.grassfire.org/68/petition.asp?RID=551256

Thank you for your prompt attention.

Steve Elliott, President
Grassfire.org Alliance

P.S. I have also posted a special report on the GrassfireBlog
that explains why the AOL fee/tax is "bad news" for the
Internet. Go here:

http://www.grassfireblog.com

+   +  +   +   +   +   +   +   +   +  +  +   +   +   +   +   +   +   +
(Note: Please do not "reply" directly to this e-mail message. This
e-mail address is not designed to receive your personal messages.
To contact Grassfire.org with comments, questions or to change your
status, see link at the end.)

+ + + + +
Grassfire.org Alliance is a non-profit 501(c)4 issues advocacy
organization dedicated to equipping our 1.5 million-strong network
of grassroots conservatives with the tools that give you a real
impact on the key issues of our day. Gifts to Grassfire.org are
not tax deductible.

+ + Comments? Questions?

http://www.grassfire.org/email.asp?ind=10