[registrars] How best to resolve it?

  • To: revised-settlement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [registrars] How best to resolve it?
  • From: "Robert F. Connelly" <BobC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 20:24:23 -0800
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear ICANN:

It is so hard to comment on the proposed and/or revised-proposed settlement.

Not because there is a lack of issues, but because there are so very many issues.

With all due respect, I personally cannot fathom how intelligent, success oriented businessmen can think these proposals are good for ICANN, any of the constituencies, the Internet and the general public.

How could ICANN have granted an extension of the .NET Registry contract to Verisign, while at the same time embroiled in contentious litigation with Verisign? How, unless ICANN is so timid that it fears to confront Verisign.

And how could ICANN have granted the .NET extension based upon a 25% *reduction* in registration fees for a substantially smaller Registry and then agree to the escalations of registration fees for the much larger .COM Registry. Certainly everyone making these decisions has heard of "the economies of scale"!!!

Still further, is not ICANN laying itself open for anti-trust litigation for granting what appears to be a perpetual monopoly "license" with *escalating* fees while everything in our industry is subject to declining prices due to technological innovation and competitive pressures?

It is hard to believe that we have any idea of the "big picture". Certainly there must be hidden elements which are pushing intelligent officials to make a bad deal for itself -- and for it subordinate entities. It is not only the registrars who will be hurt by the proposed settlements. Come clean, ICANN, what's behind all these anomalies? I for one think ICANN should go into Court with its head held high and let an honest court decide what is best for the ultimate consumers.

Respectfully submitted,
Robert F. Connelly,
President
Domains Only, Inc.