Re: [registrars] Registrar Restore command reports issue

Hi,

I believe this is interesting as a temporary solution,
however the Registrars should put some pressure on registries to promote
an EPP extension to send this report via a usual command. If I'm right
PIR will offer an extension very soon, but for a thick registry it doesn't
really make any sense to provide a second time the complete registrant details,
on what purpose?

On Verisign side, however the question is interesting, do they really need such
details to recover a deletion as a Thin registry? Anyway I have serious doubt that
RRP protocol will be changed, but I hope that an EPP extension will be developped
and used to solve this current cumbersome procedure, so far I haven't seen
any answer on that question by Verisign.

Best regards,
Paul Lecoultre

Larry Erlich wrote:
We have the same issue. But
I was thinking it *might be possible* to write a Perl
client using something like LWP and setup some pages that
only accessed the specific VRSN pages that were needed
for the initial restore and the "submit restore report".

This explains the concept:
http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/htdocs/libwww-perl/lwptut.pm.html

Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com

Mitchell, Champ wrote:

What a great question. If anyone does have such a workaround I would like to know it too. As a congenital worrier, when I can't find anything else, I can dream nightmare scenarios of the misuse of the password and the RAT. I have asked on several occasions that the VeriSign Registry create a more limited tool than the RAT, actually a series of special use tools. That has not happened. We try to protect from abuse by limiting access to 3 very senior people (which is highly inefficient and a poor use of their time), very frequent changes (also highly inefficient) and monitoring use daily by 2 people not in the chain of command of the 3 who have access. Obviously that system has real holes in it, but it is the best we have come up with and is cumbersome, leads to misuse of senior assets and is generally inconvenient for all concerned at the best of times and sometimes creates its own set of problems. By the way, I am not one of the 3 senior people I trust with access. I hope smarter people than me have derived a better system and will share it. Best to all, Champ