RE: [registrars] .COM Settlement Documents

  • To: "'Michael D. Palage'" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] .COM Settlement Documents
  • From: "Bhavin Turakhia" <bhavin.t@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:19:54 +0530
  • Cc: <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Quoting from the document published about public comments -

"Regarding registrants, there was some expression that there might be some
negative effects due to the potential price increases, but, the majority
across constituencies expressed that the increase in cost was negligible
when compared to the value of a domain name registration."

I dont remember there being "some" expression about negative effects. to my
mind most of the comments on the forum are negative. I also don't remember
majority of the comments reflecting that the increase in cost was negligible
when compared to a domain name registration. Infact most comments that I
opened up on the public forum were concerned about the price. None of the
ones I saw stated that the price increase was negligible compared with the
value of a domain name.

While I havent reviewed this document in detail, I am concerned about ICANN
staff sending an incorrect message to the Board and to the community in
general, with its initial set of FAQs they posted as well as this set of
documents. Both these documents seem to have been carefully word-smithed to
try and make as if there exists contention as well as support almost
equally. This is entirely untrue. We have 20,000+ resellers and i can assure
you not one of them nor their 400,000+ customers are happy about this and
support this in any fashion. many of them have voiced this on the comment
forums alongwith companies worldwide.

Bhavin