[registrars] Whois Operational Point of Contact

  • To: registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [registrars] Whois Operational Point of Contact
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:46:49 -0800
  • Cc: gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Registrars,

In Mar del Plata, a small group of like-minded registrars got together to discuss possible solutions to the vexing problem of whois. The basic issue that the amount of data that ICANN requires registrars to display in the whois is facilitating all sorts of undesirable behaviors like renewal scams, data-mining, phishing, identity theft, and so on.

The result of this discussion is a proposal to rationalize the whois data output and implement a new contact type called the "Operational Point of Contact" or "oPOC". Complete details can be found in the proposal itself which I've posted to my weblog - http://code.byte.org/blog/_archives/2005/11/28/1426464.html

We are currently seeking feedback and support for this document. If you have any comments, please drop one of the contributors a note. If you would like to formally support this proposal as a signatory, please drop me a note saying so.

Thanks in advance, please let me know if you have any questions.

-ross