[registrars] Regarding transition to market forces

  • To: <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Regarding transition to market forces
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:17:24 +1100
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello All,

I find this question and answer interesting:

"Q: 1.2 Why is it appropriate for VeriSign to be allowed to raise its
prices by up to 7% per year?

A: 1.2 In order to provide for a transition to allowing market forces to
determine prices, ICANN and VeriSign agreed to relax the current price
cap, which has remained unchanged since ICANN came into existence, on a
graduated basis"

I would argue that if market forces were being applied then the price
should drop by at least 7% a year.

Thus I think it would be reasonable as part of a "transition" to market
forces that the maximum price should be DROPPING 7% per year.

I am not aware of market forces leading to an increase.  I certainly
haven't seen that amongst registrars where market forces do apply.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin