[registrars] Clarification of statement made in press

  • To: "'Paul Twomey'" <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Clarification of statement made in press
  • From: "Bhavin Turakhia" <bhavin.t@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 00:49:41 +0530
  • Cc: <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'H1L174'" <tom@xxxxxxxxxx>, <ombudsman@xxxxxxxxx>, <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>, <secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <registrars@xxxxxxxx>, <settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Paul;

I write to you in an official capacity as the chair of the GNSO Registrar
Constituency. Recent press reports quote you as having consulted with the
members of registrar community, with regards to the dotcom settlement
agreement, and concluded that registrars  "...almost universally don't care
for the fees clause, they are generally happy with the agreement overall."
[Ref: http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3559731]

This statement comes as a surprise to us because -

(1) the Registrar Constituency has yet to take a formal position on the
matter

(2) the positions of those registrars who have publicly voiced their
concerns as well as registrars who are engaging in active discussion on this
subject within the constituency, about this settlement, contradict your
statements. Infact it is apparent that registrars are "generally unhappy"
with the agreement.

Unfortunately, your statements have created some confusion within the
community. We are now hearing further reports from third parties that the
registrar community is generally on board with moving forward with this
proposed settlement arrangement despite our lack of a formal position.

To help us resolve this confusion, we would like to request that these
statements be substantiated so that we may better understand the scope of
your consultation and the issues raised by it. To the extent that your
comments represent isolated comments by specific registrars, we also request
that you issue a formal clarification or a retraction of your original
statement.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation. We look forward to resolving this
highly important matter in a way that benefits the interests of the broad
internet community.

Best Regards
Bhavin Turakhia
Founder, Chairman & CEO