RE: [registrars] Motion for a Vote on Grace Period Deletion Fee

  • To: <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Motion for a Vote on Grace Period Deletion Fee
  • From: "Jay Westerdal" <jwesterdal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:14:44 -0700
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rob,
I did some math calculations to see how many domains could be registered
for free in that five day window. Infinity x $0.00 = $0.00. That is truly
scary.

I am not trying to take away the rights of Registrars, I am trying to
close a loop-hole. The intended use of the 5 day grace was to allow
for production testing and for registrants to delete typos. I am
trying to move more toward the spirit of the clause as it was originally
designed. I can see the progression of this activity towards one where
the more creative registrars buys or starts a Bank so they can issue
their own letter of credit to Verisign for 6 Billion dollars. Then the
next day we have 1 Billion more .com domains and every four days after
that we see them cycling. Then the next registrar gets more creative and
issues themselves a 600 Billion Dollar letter of credit and then we
escalate to 100 Billion domains every four days. Oh, I wish the language
was more clear in the being, but I recognize the spirit of the contract
and I am simply trying to get us to the point of no free domains. I
would be fine if Verisign wanted to sell domains on a shorter window.
But the operative word is sell. I am all for 30 day $0.50 domains or
whatever they want to try. Heck even $0.01 for a day registration so long
as there is money involved.

The ratio model is the only model that scales, large registrars have
more typos. It is really simple.

Jay Westerdal
Name Intelligence, Inc.
http://www.nameintelligence.com

PS: It only takes about 25 Million in the US Funds and about 6 months of
paperwork to start your own bank in the US.