RE: [registrars] Final Call (so wake up) EPP Transition Implementation Group

  • To: "'Mike Lampson'" <lampson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Final Call (so wake up) EPP Transition Implementation Group
  • From: "Bhavin Turakhia" <bhavin.t@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:32:01 +0530
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> 3) Right now Verisign sends out a daily report of all
> nameserver renamings.
> We need comparable information from the EPP Registries.  I
> believe this should be implemented by having Registries send
> a <poll> message to all Registrars each time an internal
> nameserver is renamed.  This is so we can then propagate this

Technically registries cannot be sending a poll message. They can however
put this in their message queue, which can then be fetched by each registrar
by polling for the message queue - just as for transfers

> nameserver rename to external host records in the other
> Registries.  For example, I could have a nameserver
> blue.example.org hosting the domain iaregistry.biz.  If I
> rename this nameserver to red.hostdomain.org, this change
> will have no affect in the BIZ registry.
> See section 1.1 of RFC 3731 for an explanation of external
> hosts.  As external hosts are considered private to each
> Registrar, every Registrar must take action on any domains
> that they sponsor that happen to use this nameserver.

Offcourse this will have no effect on the ccTLD Registries. So if a .de
child nameserver changes there is no way for me to come to know and make the
change to the domains I sponsor that use the older .de child nameserver. I
guess we can extend this step by step and probably involve the ccnso to have
ccTLDs atleast publish a downloadable list of nameserver changes somewhere.

In the end however for those ccTLDs that do not publish anything, it is upto
the Registrant to make the change when their site stops working and then
yell at their hosting company for not intimating them about the change :)

- B