Re: [registrars] Fwd: Hurricane Frances impacts

  • To: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] Fwd: Hurricane Frances impacts
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 13:17:23 +0000
  • Cc: registrars@xxxxxxxx, brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd forgotten that Ken is in Florida ... more network operators news from
nanog:

Update: gas #1
> Any details on the status of natural gas lines in FL, and approximately
> how many facilities use such for generator power vs diesel?

Natural gas is available in most parts of Florida. Like most utilities,
service continues until disrupted. Once disrupted, repairs follow the typical
priority order (utility, emergency services, television/radio stations,
others). Natural gas pipelines require various compressor stations throughout
the pipeline system.

The Florida governor has issued an order to regulate gas supplies in the
state. It gives emergency workers, military operations and cleanup crews
priority for the next 7 days. The Florida Highway Patrol will provide escorts
for tanker truks. The Florida Department of Environmental Protection is
tasked with coordinating fuel distribution. The US Environmental Protection
Agency has waved certain clean air fuel forumalation requirements to permit
the use of fuel from other states.

Update #2
Sprint reports 15,000 customers affected in its service areas (generally
central florida). Bell South reports 7596 trouble reports in in its service
areas (generally eastern florida). I haven't seen any numbers from Verizon yet.

For comparison, after Hurricane Charley 250,000 Sprint customers were without
service according to automated monitoring systems, and 25,000 Verizon customers
were without service.

Wireless/Cellular (from Florida's EOC website)
Cingular: 93% of normal
AT&T(Ft. Lauderdale/Miami): 82%
AT&T(Ft. Myers): 97%
AT&T(Daytona Beach) 96%